Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree7 Liked Posts

Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do all SSRI's contain fluoride?

Hey all, I have been taking prozac 20mg for 5 months now. I have recently done some reading on the effects of fluoride on the body and am now terrified. (google them)

Since Prozac is 94.5% fluoride, I want to switch to a different SSRI. I know Paxil also contains it.

Thoughts?
LEAVING NOW likes this.
Raptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

screw it, im throwing my Prozac out.
hightimes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I tought the fluoride in prozac wasnt a problem at all and couldnt be compared too normal fluoride. Not sure about this tough.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

My thought is that this is total bull****. You by far get more fluoride from drinking water, than taking prozac.

Reason is it depends on how the fluorine is attached and in the molecule. Unless you know the exact reaction that Prozac has in the liver, etc. that it is metabolized by, and then that fluorine is released into the body, then this has no weight.

From Wikipedia:

Organofluorine compounds
In order for fluoride poisoning to occur, a compound must release fluoride (F−) ions. Whereas most organofluorine compounds may not release F− because of the strength of the carbon–fluorine bond and its tendency to strengthen as more fluorine atoms are added to a carbon, others do, such as methoxyflurane. The fluorine atom is pervasive in drugs, e.g. Prozac, and many other substances such as freon, Teflon, and blood serum (PFOS, PFOA, and PFNA). Organofluorine compounds, however, that are fluoroalkane based do not release F− under biological conditions because of their stability.

Basically because there are 3 fluorine attached to the carbon, they're not coming off. You don't have anything to worry about.
db0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by db0255 View Post
My thought is that this is total bull****. You by far get more fluoride from drinking water, than taking prozac.

Reason is it depends on how the fluorine is attached and in the molecule. Unless you know the exact reaction that Prozac has in the liver, etc. that it is metabolized by, and then that fluorine is released into the body, then this has no weight.

From Wikipedia:

Organofluorine compounds
In order for fluoride poisoning to occur, a compound must release fluoride (F−) ions. Whereas most organofluorine compounds may not release F− because of the strength of the carbon–fluorine bond and its tendency to strengthen as more fluorine atoms are added to a carbon, others do, such as methoxyflurane. The fluorine atom is pervasive in drugs, e.g. Prozac, and many other substances such as freon, Teflon, and blood serum (PFOS, PFOA, and PFNA). Organofluorine compounds, however, that are fluoroalkane based do not release F− under biological conditions because of their stability.

Basically because there are 3 fluorine attached to the carbon, they're not coming off. You don't have anything to worry about.
do you take Prozac? has it had a positive effect on you?
hightimes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Rocknroll....genius as always.

lol and db0255, you should put your prozac experience in your sig. I can't even count how many times I've seen you try explaining it
Raptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightimes2 View Post
do you take Prozac? has it had a positive effect on you?
did. search my posts.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
Thanks Rocknroll....genius as always.

lol and db0255, you should put your prozac experience in your sig. I can't even count how many times I've seen you try explaining it
roffles! didnt you have the same experience...
Old 04-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Fascinating Stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by db0255 View Post

From Wikipedia:

Organofluorine compounds

Finally!, I've never heard it explained like that! So the fluoride in anti-depressants is basically harmless? I was so concerned about it because I've tried to cut fluoride out of my life completely. I purify my water with an R.O. System and use fluoride-free toothpaste etc. However, I cannot live without my meds! Thank's for being here and helping me find an answer to my mystery.
billd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Time for a chemistry lesson. Fluoride is the ionic form of fluorine. Don't know what an ion is? Wiki. This is basic stuff. Prozac doesn't contain fluoride and to be pedantic about it it doesn't contain fluorine either. That would be like saying carbon monoxide contains oxygen. Yes oxygen forms part of the carbon monoxide molecule but carbon monoxide does not have the properties of oxygen. Try breathing only carbon monoxide. Now apply this logic to the fluoxetine molecule. It is mainly carbon and hydrogen but, unsurprisingly, has none of the properties of either. It also has fluorine(not fluoride) in it's molecular structure but that doesn't mean it has any of the properties of fluorine(let alone fluoride).

I was told about the mind numbing effects of fluoride by my conspiracy nut gradfather along time ago and his source of this informtion also mentioned the addition of fluorine to Prozac as well as rohipnol suggesting that it gave the drugs more mind controling properties or something of that nature. In short it was pseudoscientific BS. The authors of the article couldn't even tell the difference between fluorine and fluoride despite this being stuff we all learn about in high school.
Inshallah and NeuromorPhish like this.

...tell them I said something..."

Pancho Villa
jonny neurotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd75 View Post
Finally!, I've never heard it explained like that! So the fluoride in anti-depressants is basically harmless? I was so concerned about it because I've tried to cut fluoride out of my life completely. I purify my water with an R.O. System and use fluoride-free toothpaste etc. However, I cannot live without my meds! Thank's for being here and helping me find an answer to my mystery.
Fluoride wont do you any harm. The people who put this kind of trash about are either scare mongers or conspiracy nuts. They can provide no statistical evidence for fluoridated water doing anyone any harm and any talk of Nazi death camps is just laughable nonsense. Seriously, you are putting a lot of effort into nothing. The only thing fluoride will do is prevent dental carries. There is plenty of statistical evidence to back that up...

Pancho Villa
Old 12-30-2012, 08:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Exclamation Not So Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny neurotic View Post
Fluoride wont do you any harm. The people who put this kind of trash about are either scare mongers or conspiracy nuts. They can provide no statistical evidence for fluoridated water doing anyone any harm and any talk of Nazi death camps is just laughable nonsense. Seriously, you are putting a lot of effort into nothing. The only thing fluoride will do is prevent dental carries. There is plenty of statistical evidence to back that up...
I don't know about whether SSRI's contain harmful amounts of Fluoride, or any at all, but I do know that Fluoride in the water supply is NOT good for you and there are MANY peer reviewed studies to back that FACT up.

It has been shown that it lowers IQ among many other significant health problems. This is not the work of "Conspiracy Nuts" and I am sick of the establishment labeling such concepts as "Conspiracy Theories". Nothing could be further from the truth on this subject!

Here are 25 studies that prove Fluoride lowers IQ. Look at the bottom of that article and you will find the studies and more. There really is no arguing this.

If for some reason you have a problem with that source then look for yourself elsewhere. There are many more studies out there!
HealthySolutions4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

I stopped reading after I saw Mercola in the link. That guy is the most idiotic person out there.

K I skimmed through it, basically he uses horrible epidemiologic studies that mean nothing. Once again quacks on the internet causing a stir about nothing. You can claim anything is a poison. The soil samples in that study contained more iron therefore iron causes low IQ. Ugh.

http://www.quackwatch.org/03HealthPr.../fluoride.html
jonny neurotic likes this.
Sleep: melatonin 0.75mg /benadryl 12.5mg / zopiclone 1.75mg
kehcorpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthySolutions4u View Post
I don't know about whether SSRI's contain harmful amounts of Fluoride, or any at all, but I do know that Fluoride in the water supply is NOT good for you and there are MANY peer reviewed studies to back that FACT up.

It has been shown that it lowers IQ among many other significant health problems. This is not the work of "Conspiracy Nuts" and I am sick of the establishment labeling such concepts as "Conspiracy Theories". Nothing could be further from the truth on this subject!

Here are 25 studies that prove Fluoride lowers IQ. Look at the bottom of that article and you will find the studies and more. There really is no arguing this.

If for some reason you have a problem with that source then look for yourself elsewhere. There are many more studies out there!

Pancho Villa
Old 12-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

I am so sick of fools who don't even understand chem. 101 getting all worked up about any and every Fluoride containing substance.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #16 (permalink)

Sodium fluoride is the form of fluoride that is added to some city's water supplies and it is not harmless. Even a tube of toothpaste has a warning to go a poison control center if more than a certain amount is swallowed.

Here is an MSDS section 3 for sodium fluoride:

Material Safety Data Sheet
Sodium fluoride
ACC# 21230
Section 3 - Hazards Identification

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
Appearance: white to off-white crystalline powder.
Danger! Causes irritation and possible burns by all routes of exposure. May be fatal if swallowed. Contact with acids liberates toxic gas. May cause lung damage. Moisture sensitive.
Target Organs: Kidneys, heart, gastrointestinal system, skeletal structures, teeth, nerves, bone.

Potential Health Effects
Eye: Causes eye irritation and possible burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Skin: Contact with skin causes irritation and possible burns, especially if the skin is wet or moist. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Ingestion: May be fatal if swallowed. Ingestion of large amounts of fluoride may cause salivation, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fever, labored breathing. Exposure to fluoride compounds can result in systemic toxic effects on the heart, liver, and kidneys. It may also deplete calcium levels in the body leading to hypocalcemia and death. May cause irritation of the digestive tract and possible burns. May cause respiratory paralysis and cardiac arrest.
Inhalation: May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with possible burns. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. Prolonged exposure to dusts, vapors, or mists may result in the perforation of the nasal septum. May cause systemic effects.
Chronic: Chronic inhalation and ingestion may cause chronic fluoride poisoning (fluorosis) characterized by weight loss, weakness, anemia, brittle bones, and stiff joints. Effects may be delayed. Chronic exposure may cause lung damage. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Chronic exposure to fluoride compounds may cause systemic toxicity. Skeletal effects may include bone brittleness, joint stiffness, teeth discoloration, tendon calcification, and osterosclerosis. Animal studies have reported the development of tumors.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #17 (permalink)

^bloody hippy. Hooray a poison is poisonous, awesome!

Do you know why it is? Because sodium is a very weak ligand in that molecule, so the Fluorine ion is easily reacted with whatever else is around. However the Fluoride in an SSRI is very stable within that molecule making it nearly impossible for it to react with something else within the body, so that pesky little Fluorine atom will never be roaming around inside your body to cause all of it's super evil conspiracies.
istayhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Toothpaste contains fluoride too, should i start to eat it instead of antidepressants? It would be so much cheaper...
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #19 (permalink)

Seriously this is based on how much consumed. Anything can become lethal and cause health problems when consumed In large amounts. This is the same for vitamins that our bodies need to function. The amount in water is nothing. I drink nothing but tap water and I have been pegged as someone with high intellect and have a perfect health record. And yes I had depression before I started drinking nothing but water so no blame games from the hippies please.
Sleep: melatonin 0.75mg /benadryl 12.5mg / zopiclone 1.75mg
kehcorpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehcorpz View Post
Seriously this is based on how much consumed. Anything can become lethal and cause health problems when consumed In large amounts. This is the same for vitamins that our bodies need to function. The amount in water is nothing. I drink nothing but tap water and I have been pegged as someone with high intellect and have a perfect health record. And yes I had depression before I started drinking nothing but water so no blame games from the hippies please.
Unlike vitamins, fluoride is not required for our bodies to function. Some scientists even say that fluoride replaces iodine in the body, which can cause hypothyroidism.

Personsally I do not like anything added to the water system other than what is absolutely needed to sterilize the water. I'm glad my county does not add sodium fluoride. Sodium fluoride is the waste byproduct from the aluminum industry.
LEAVING NOW likes this.