Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree7 Liked Posts

Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Difference between Wellbutrin and Ritalin/Adderall

I wonder can it quantitatively be measure how much wellbutrin raises dopamine compared to ritalin and adderall? Are they in totally different leagues? I guess they are. But let's say someone takes wellbutrin and doesn't get more concentration thru it does this mean that stimulations also wouldn't work then?
thundercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wellbutrin blocks dopamine and noradrenaline, Ritalin blocks dopamine, but much more so than Wellbutrin and Adderall releases dopamine and noradrenaline (and probably serotonin as well).

No it doesnt't mean that. You'll need to try to find out
Inshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wonder if a person for example tolerates wellbutrin without freaking out does this mean that she'd also tolerate ritalin or is ritalin still much more dangerous?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercats View Post
I wonder if a person for example tolerates wellbutrin without freaking out does this mean that she'd also tolerate ritalin or is ritalin still much more dangerous?
My own experience:

Wellbutrin does nothing (other than a very mild appetite suppressant effect that's so minor it's hard to even notice).

Ritalin is 'amphetamine-lite'.

Amphetamines are the real thing. Despite their warning about how they shouldn't be taken by those with "marked anxiety," they actually produce a calming effect. Apparently, such calming isn't unusual for those who actually have ADHD. It's not at all like the stereotype of amphetamines turning one into a ball of energy that just can't be stopped. For me it's the exact opposite. I could sleep right through them. Amphetamines produce a clear effect on SA -- making me much bolder and very chatty.
mark555666 likes this.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

But amphetamines also have a much higher risk of causing heart problems.
I think Adderall affects the entire body while Ritalin is more targeted on the brain. I don't think I'd dare taking a real stimulant I'd be way too scared.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
But amphetamines also have a much higher risk of causing heart problems.
I think Adderall affects the entire body while Ritalin is more targeted on the brain. I don't think I'd dare taking a real stimulant I'd be way too scared.
I'm not experienced enough with amps to say for sure, but I thought the general consensus was that d-amp has less unpleasant cardiac effects than l-amp and MPH?
Duke of Prunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

With amps you get much quicker tolerance but also quicker results. Something like Wellbutrin works over a long period of time but leaves you in a better place in the end. I've heard some bad stories with Adderall tolerance build up and it causing depression in some.
Sleep: melatonin 0.75mg /benadryl 12.5mg / zopiclone 1.75mg
kehcorpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

I dont know about D and L, but if I had to take a stim I'd rather take MPH. Adderall seems to be more dangerous.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

wellbutrin xr is much much weaker than ritalin and adderall but is for a whole different diagnosis, i take my wellbutrin at night cause if i take in the day it makes me tired
IlIlIlIrlpoloIlIlIlI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is weird, that it makes people tired. I notice no tiredness.

Does it work for you? Why do you take it?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

The difference is in the half-lifes metabolites strength mode of action and the release of the medication. Wellbutrin XL is a DRI/NRI for example last for 24hr that like the only stim that last 24 hours. Wellbutrin first metabolite only last 8 hours so the time release releases it 3 times a day and wola you got a 24hr stim. But this is only the first metabolites there like 6 other ones and they last longer and need to build up in your blood steam over lapping and compounding who knows what they really do. Adderall is a releasing agent itz halflife is 6 hr for levo 3 hr for dex salt. Im not too sure about there metabolites but i thinkthey may break down into weaker compounds maybe someone can clarify? Depression never really sat in unto 1 day after use for me so there must be somethin active but if i kept on using adderall ill develop insomina so that could mean the metabolites are building up causing this but anyways amphetimines are strong stuff. there neurotoxic and tolarance can build quick.
mark555666 and thundercats like this.

~~The best lesson learned in life are what is not taught they are learned.
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ritilin some crazy stuff too it has a halflife of 4 hours and produces an intense rebound of hyperactivity and insomia its harder too get then amphatimines where im from you need a tripicated docters note ritilin kinda makes you feel cracked out it awkward doing things on it compared too amphetimines i find.

~~The best lesson learned in life are what is not taught they are learned.
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I wonder can it quantitatively be measure how much wellbutrin raises dopamine compared to ritalin and adderall? Are they in totally different leagues? I guess they are. But let's say someone takes wellbutrin and doesn't get more concentration thru it does this mean that stimulations also wouldn't work then?
Yes, they are not even comparable. I could go long into the different modes of action. Let's use the analogy of a college football team= Wellbutrin. and a pro football team= Amphetamines (Adderall, Dexamphetamine). Both can be effective but the speed is going to be a lot faster and your going to get hit a lot harder with more muscle from the pro team.

Wellbutrin is a NE reuptake inhibitor and a less effective DA reuptake inhibitor.
It inhibits reuptake of a neurotransmitter from the synapse into the pre-synaptic neuron, leading to an increase in the extra-cellular concentrations of the neurotransmitter and therefore an increase in neurotransmission.

Amphetamines are aggressive, competitive DA and NE inhibitors. They act directly on the substrate binding sites on DAT (dopamine transporter) and NET ( norepinephrine transporter). Dexedrine and adderall not only block the re-uptake of DA and NE into the neurons. They cause DAT and NET to induce reverse transport and instead of releasing the neurotransmitter into the cell. The transporters are now dumping the NTs back into the synaptic cleft. Also, by attaching to DAT and NET, amphetamines are transported into the cells. Once inside the cell they aggressively inhibit DA and NE at the VMAT (vesicular monoamine transporters). VMAT is no longer able to properly pump the DA/NE into the synaptic vesicle for storage because of the displacement of the NT's. Eventually the internal buildup of neuronal DA/NE opens a new channel for a flood of the NT's into the synapse. So you end up having a s.l. of active DA/NE available in the brain.

Amps.render any other drugs that effect NE/DA useless.
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm now on concerta ( long acting) ritalin and my resting heart rate is 100+ bpm.

Dexedrine is smoother, and I think it's pretty safe (I'm pretty sure actually) at therapeutic doses.

Wellbutrin made me very anxious.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesix88 View Post
I'm now on concerta ( long acting) ritalin and my resting heart rate is 100+ bpm.
What's your heart rate when not on Ritalin? Given that 60-80 is normal you either had a high rate to start with or Ritalin is making it jump 30 points.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #16 (permalink)

In the morning ~76. It's 98 bpm now . I can test my heart rate with some phone app, I don't how reliable that is but it seems right. I love statistics ha.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #17 (permalink)

One thing that I don't understand is why Wellbutrin takes weeks to kick in. Wellbutrin and Ritalin are both reuptake inhibitors of dopamine and norepinephrine (they each have different DRI:NRI ratios though). Yet, Ritalin kicks in right away; it doesn't take weeks for effects to appear like Wellbutrin does.

Why does Wellbutrin take so long to start showing any effects if its dopamine+norepinephrine boosting abilities are mediated by the same mechanism as that of Ritalin (reuptake inhibition)? Please, someone enlighten me on this puzzling mystery. Also, another DRI/NRI is cocaine, which, like Ritalin, kicks in right away. All three are DRI and NRIs.
Robert Paulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Paulson View Post
One thing that I don't understand is why Wellbutrin takes weeks to kick in. Wellbutrin and Ritalin are both reuptake inhibitors of dopamine and norepinephrine (they each have different DRI:NRI ratios though). Yet, Ritalin kicks in right away; it doesn't take weeks for effects to appear like Wellbutrin does.

Why does Wellbutrin take so long to start showing any effects if its dopamine+norepinephrine boosting abilities are mediated by the same mechanism as that of Ritalin (reuptake inhibition)? Please, someone enlighten me on this puzzling mystery. Also, another DRI/NRI is cocaine, which, like Ritalin, kicks in right away. All three are DRI and NRIs.
I think it's because ritalin is capable of enhancing the phasic firing of dopamine whilst wellbutrin is not. Reason being that wellbutrins occupancy of DAT (dopamine transporter) is not enough at therapeutic doses for phasic firing to occur as it would with ritalin.

jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
Yes, they are not even comparable. I could go long into the different modes of action. Let's use the analogy of a college football team= Wellbutrin. and a pro football team= Amphetamines (Adderall, Dexamphetamine). Both can be effective but the speed is going to be a lot faster and your going to get hit a lot harder with more muscle from the pro team.

Wellbutrin is a NE reuptake inhibitor and a less effective DA reuptake inhibitor.
It inhibits reuptake of a neurotransmitter from the synapse into the pre-synaptic neuron, leading to an increase in the extra-cellular concentrations of the neurotransmitter and therefore an increase in neurotransmission.

Amphetamines are aggressive, competitive DA and NE inhibitors. They act directly on the substrate binding sites on DAT (dopamine transporter) and NET ( norepinephrine transporter). Dexedrine and adderall not only block the re-uptake of DA and NE into the neurons. They cause DAT and NET to induce reverse transport and instead of releasing the neurotransmitter into the cell. The transporters are now dumping the NTs back into the synaptic cleft. Also, by attaching to DAT and NET, amphetamines are transported into the cells. Once inside the cell they aggressively inhibit DA and NE at the VMAT (vesicular monoamine transporters). VMAT is no longer able to properly pump the DA/NE into the synaptic vesicle for storage because of the displacement of the NT's. Eventually the internal buildup of neuronal DA/NE opens a new channel for a flood of the NT's into the synapse. So you end up having a s.l. of active DA/NE available in the brain.

Amps.render any other drugs that effect NE/DA useless.
Where do you know all this stuff?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Where do you know all this stuff?
I have studied a lot on the effects of psychotropics because of my mental illness. I also find psychopharmacology fascinating. So, I use a lot of internet sources including pubmed, medscape, and psychiatric type journals. I also have a few invaluable reference books.
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote