Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Creating an FAQ for SA drugs.

53K views 83 replies 37 participants last post by  marsia 
#1 ·
The same questions are being asked here again and again. So I think an FAQ would be very helpful. It should concentrate on evidence-based treatments IMHO, but of course our extensive knowledge with other drugs shall be included. Too reckless or dangerous combos not.

What do you think about the idea? We might start with naming drugs that work. For creating the FAQ itself google docs is the way to go.

Everybody interested in helping please say so. Long-term members with good knowledge of psychopharmacology are preferred.

Reactions: cutelildeadbear
#2 ·
I think this is a good idea :).

I guess the first step is to create a standardized set of values, for example;

# Drug class
# Mechanism/s of action
# Therapeutic dosage range
# Medical interactions (Drug, Food, etc.)
# Common Adverse effects
# Anything else you can think of adding?

I'll sticky a Medications FAQ thread when complete.

#3 ·
There are many meds that have shown effiacy that are only rarely being discussed like tiagabine, we must make a list of them and i'm willing to do that to add to the faq.

Reactions: cutelildeadbear
#7 ·
Can we begin with naming drugs useful for SA, thanks. Let's start with standard drugs and then use more experimental ones. Those should at least not be extremely dangerous.

#8 ·
SSRI's
Benzodiazepine's
Levetiracetam
Oxcarbazepine
Acamprosate
Tiagabine
Pregabilin

(il keep updating this post, with links to study's).

Anecdotal effiacy:
Adderall and dexedrine
Memantine
Baclofen

Theoretical effiacy:
GABOB

Reactions: SJD
#9 ·
J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2007 Jun;27(3):263-72.
The role of anticonvulsant drugs in anxiety disorders: a critical review of the evidence.
Mula M, Pini S, Cassano GB.

Department of Psychiatry, Neurobiology, Pharmacology and Biotechnologies, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy. marcomula@yahoo.it
Abstract
Antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) have been successfully used in the treatment of mood disturbances, leading clinicians and researchers to investigate their use in other psychiatric disorders. This article reviews the literature about the potential efficacy of AEDs in anxiety disorders. An updated MEDLINE search (January 1970 to September 2006) using the terms "panic disorder," "agoraphobia," "posttraumatic stress disorder," "obsessive-compulsive disorder," "generalized anxiety disorder," "social phobia," "phobia," "carbamazepine," "phenobarbital," "phenytoin," "valproate," "lamotrigine," "topiramate," "vigabatrin," "tiagabine," "gabapentin," "levetiracetam," and "pregabalin" showed more than 70 articles and 38 published studies. Only articles published in English were reviewed. We have assigned level 1 of evidence to meta-analysis and replicated randomized controlled trials, level 2 to at least 1 randomized controlled trial, level 3 to uncontrolled trials with 10 or more subjects, and level 4 to anecdotal case reports. The strongest evidence has been demonstrated for pregabalin in social phobia and generalized anxiety disorder, lamotrigine in posttraumatic stress disorder, and gabapentin in social anxiety. The available data about gabapentin in panic disorder are somewhat mixed, and more definitive conclusion would require additional studies. This review suggests that AEDs can be an alternative treatment in some anxiety disorders. Further investigation is needed to determine in what circumstances they should be used in individuals who are partially responsive or nonresponsive to conventional therapy.
Anyone that can share the full text? Thx

#14 ·
Not really, many meds effective for social anxiety arent mentioned there, except their official uses. This one will have alot more info;)

#16 ·
lol at bi-winning , he was funny for like the first two days

imagine if an hollywood douche like him had his fortune handed to solving something like SAD (okay cancer is first priority really), but seriously how many miserable ****s can he make happy with the money hes got

I mean check out half of these hollywood douches like bryan singer, cage they are all born into it.

#32 ·
See i do not think charlie is a hollywood douche, he was a bloody decent actor back in the 80's and 90's

but anyway thats not important

Good idea about an FAQ thread :yes

#22 ·
Rather we need to think about how we can make it extremely accessible. how can we make it so people looking for SA answers feel its easier to go to our faq than re-ask it in forum?
jim_morrison will sticky a good and useful FAQ. To make it more accessible for google users and to create more traffic the title is important, e.g "Drugs for Social Anxiety Disorder | Social Phobia" is good.

#18 ·
i agree that crazymeds doesn't cover sa. it is written in a very engaging style that i'd come to trust over the years, but it doesn't have nearly the kind of technical information specifically about social anxiety meds that this forum does. there's so much i don't find there that i'd find here sifting through these threads were my attention span not so short.

then my fantasy is that some amazing psychiatrist who loves us would find the FAQ and then become the SAS official doctor willing to prescribe and tweak the cocktails.

#20 ·
Absolutely right, but answering the exact same questions permanently can be avoided with a good FAQ.

#21 ·
Actually its kind of hard considering how people seem to respond so differently to meds on this forum.

Isn't it hard to generalise? maybe the faq should be more about where to start and so on, like essential reading and why not to trust uninformed pdocs. Those would be far more useful than a bunch of pages about meds.

edit: also it should aim at combating selective bias, e.g. not everyone gets horrible withdrawal, or builds tolerance quickly, it should inform the reader "scientifically" about risks and potential benefits

meds should be split into classes, there seems to be the clinical treatment meds (ssris, benzos), the clinical self treatment (amps, memantine, ritalin), off label meds , and the experimental stuff.

one thing I like about crazy meds which they don't really develop too much is the funny combinations. I think we should know if a certain SSRI works really well with alcohol and so on, I guess thats the engaging writing you are on about.

#23 ·
I think it would be useful to make a distinction between which drugs are good for primary Social Anxiety Disorder, and those which can work for - perhaps a large percentage of people here - people with conditions such as schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, and other undiagnosed disorders that can cause anxiety in social situations.

#27 ·
Wasn't Paxil the first SSRI approved by the FDA for treatment of Social Anxiety?
I'm not arguing with you. I'm interested. I thought FDA approval was based on scientific evidence.
Can you post some references to peer reviewed scientific papers that have proven SSRIs don't work for SA. Thanks.

#25 ·
Not for SSRIs & social phobia ... SSRIs & depression is a different subject.

#26 ·
Would a list of substances with potential usefullness in addiction disorders be usefull here? Have been researching the past few days, il just post it here no idea wheter it could be usefull to add in the faq.

NAC
Ibogaine
Acamprosate
Memantine
Vigabatrin
Modafinil
Topiramate
Lobeline
Wellbutrin
Magnesium
DXM
Baclofen
Rimonabant
Naltrexone
Clonidine
Tiagabine
Galantamine
Ondansetron
Varenicline
Oxcarbazepine
Disulfiram
Gabapentin
Pregabalin

#28 ·
Vigabatrin causes irreversible damage to the retinal nerve fiber.

#29 ·
Ramondo said:
Wasn't Paxil the first SSRI approved by the FDA for treatment of Social Anxiety?
Yes. I know that many people do not like SSRIs in general but the truth is that paroxetine IS the best not-addictive drug for SA. It works for many people with SA with very good results.

#37 ·
Yeah true, it is effective for SA, its a shame about the unwanted side effects though because it was the best for combatting social anxiety, especially in my late teens (18-19) but people steer clear of it because of the physical side effects which can sometimes be worse than the SA itself

#31 ·
also, I think arriving at our each optimal regrimes is often a fairly slow iterative process,you can tell a person that so and so is a good meds regrime in general but it probably won't really 'sink in', people are more likely to follow their optimal regrime after they have knowledge and understanding and experience of it and I think the back-and-forth nature of the forum is a good way of achieving this, cos it gives custom service to each person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.