Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Creating an FAQ for SA drugs.

53K views 83 replies 37 participants last post by  marsia 
#1 ·
The same questions are being asked here again and again. So I think an FAQ would be very helpful. It should concentrate on evidence-based treatments IMHO, but of course our extensive knowledge with other drugs shall be included. Too reckless or dangerous combos not.

What do you think about the idea? We might start with naming drugs that work. For creating the FAQ itself google docs is the way to go.

Everybody interested in helping please say so. Long-term members with good knowledge of psychopharmacology are preferred.

Reactions: cutelildeadbear
#69 ·
I don't disagree with what you said, it's actually what I meant, only wordier. SAD is chronic anxiety that has become a part of your programming, and plain anxiety is a normal biological function. Obviously petting a dog won't directly help you with your interview; that requires diligent practice in a mindful state. I do know that simple exercises like being with animals and listening to music can elevate ones self-esteem, sense of place, and overall mental health, which can lessen ones anxiety response. I'm speaking from personal experience.

#71 ·
Originally Posted by Rufus
See how exercise is the most effective treatment for anxiety? That's what we all need to be doing.

Originally posted by Duke of Prunes
...for everybody with SA? No. That's ridiculous. SA isn't a disease, it's a symptom that could be produced by any number of causes, most of which probably won't respond to exercise in any way.

I agree with Duke of Prunes. Whenever I hear of a monotherapy "cure" for SA I'm very skeptical. Everyone is different and while one modality may work for someone it can have detrimental effects on someone else. Now having said that I must say that a little exercise is helpful for everyone. It makes your body feel better and as I suffer from depression it helps lift my mood. Also channeling my anxiety symptoms, (rapid heart beat, tremors, tunnel vision and sweating) into some exercise reduces these symptoms. Again exercise is not a cure for me its just ONE of the tools I use for SA/Depression.

#75 ·
Ive been working out? exercising for over 15 years. If thats the cure why do i still have anxiety lol. Sure working out makes you feel goodf about yourself, for maybe a half hour after your done working out while the endorphins are kicking. But to say that working out is going to stop me from having a panic attack tomorrow when i go to the store is ridiculous. What should i just say to myself " hey i work out all the time i shouldn't be having a panic attack" when it happens? will that stop it? lol.

#76 ·
Exercise helps but has diminishing returns. It is the endorphin release that makes you feel better. As your fitness level increases you need more and more to get the high. Eventually the depression catchs up, you crash, stop exercising, your fitness drops and you can start it alllll over again

#80 ·
Yes, the opioid receptors get tolerance to the endorphins, but it's not the only method of action that helps anxiety and depression. It normalizes your noradrenaline and cortisol levels which cause panic attacks when disbalanced by stress. Sedative people have trouble using oxygen properly and distributing it to brain/muscles, the heart is weak and when anxiety kicks in, the crazy heart rate by having weak heart adds up to the anxiety, some people even think they are having heart attack.

It increases production of chemicals such as dopamine, glutamate, norepinephrine, and serotonin which all are linked to depression and anxiety when at least one of them is depleted by stress and since exercise reduces overall cortisol and adrenaline, the reduction of stress leads to increase of these:) It helps sleep which again is linked with stress, therefore the levels of 5HT, dopamine and others. You sleep less, but it's more restful, you have higher energy levels to do things which again indirectly helps depression and anxiety.

It also makes you eat more, which leads to consuming more nutritients, for example tyrosine, the precursor of dopamine and as you know dopamine is responsible for motivation, reward and sense of well being.

#78 ·
Appears to be a good idea...

Another idea would be to list typical combinations (combo) of drugs and how the combo has affected folks.
That is something that is not available and it is frustrating because I am on several meds but often the combination of meds is not affective...would just like to know typical combinations for anxiety or depression etc. so that when one combo may not work another one may...it may be difficult to do this because everyones reaction to a combo of meds may be different....however to have a list like this could be extremely beneficial for those that may want to recommend a certain combo to doctors because that combo doesn't have as many side effects as another and works well....just an idea...

#82 ·
The same questions are being asked here again and again. So I think an FAQ would be very helpful. It should concentrate on evidence-based treatments IMHO, but of course our extensive knowledge with other drugs shall be included. Too reckless or dangerous combos not.

What do you think about the idea? We might start with naming drugs that work. For creating the FAQ itself google docs is the way to go.

Everybody interested in helping please say so. Long-term members with good knowledge of psychopharmacology are preferred.
This might be off topic.... but are you a nurse? How did you get through clinicals with SA

#84 ·
I didn't read all the responses, so sorry if this is a repeat, but it would be great to have an FAQ for treatment options and terms, as well. For instance, the common ways of coming out of depression, or common ways of getting out of a panic attack, ways of addressing low self esteem, common skills for learning small talk and contributing to making a conversation interesting... It seems like we all have similar problems, and instead of everyone addressing each person with these problems, a forum for common issues would be great, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.