Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

considering paxil or zoloft- which has helped you? need advi

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  limelight 
#1 ·
I would appreciate just some general comments on these two drugs. How they worked for you, side effects, ect. Thanks guys

#2 ·
I can only speak regarding Zoloft, which I've taken on and off for about a year and a half. I was originally on 125 mg. daily, then I went off cold turkey, and when I restarted it with a new doc (who was terrible) he wouldn't put me back at 125 mg. because he said it was an "unusual" dose, so he gave me 100. Right now, though, I'm breaking my 100s in half and just taking 50 a day because I am changing to Effexor next week and don't want to refill the Zoloft.

Anyway, some side effects I noticed almost immediately were insomnia (my brain just felt too ACTIVE to sleep) and great difficulty achieving orgasm. I was prescribed trazadone and later temazapam (sp?) for sleep, and both helped. Both side effects ultimately diminished with time.

However, I feel that Zoloft has done next to nothing for my depression or SA, hence the change next week to a different AD.

#4 ·
The only thing I ever felt from Paxil was lightheadedness when I went off cold turkey. It did nothing for depression/anxiety.

I just started Zoloft on Friday and can't really tell if it's working or not yet. There are moments where it feels like the depression is lifted a little and the anxiety is decreased just a very little bit in certain situations. Then there are moments where it feels like the Zoloft isn't doing anything. Like it felt the same going to the store the other day, and I still have the problem where I blank out when other people make eye contact with me. As for side effects, I had trouble sleeping the first couple nights but it's getting better. I also feel this kind of heartburn type thing which is ongoing. It goes and comes.

#5 ·
Heres another question for anyone who paxil or zoloft has done something positive for:

What does it effect more, the physical side of SA (adrenaline, nervous, shaky, unable to relax ect) or the mental (lack of confidence, tons of negative thoughts) ?

#6 ·
I have been on paxil for several weeks now. At first I was sleepy and now I am experiencing insomnia. I have switched taking it at night to in the morning, and hopefully that will help. I have also been anorgasmic and had loss of appetite.

I am beginning to feel much better. Much less depressed, a little more like myself. I am still struggling with the occasional bout of uncontrolled anxiety, but it is still early and I have only been on this dose (40mg) for a week now. I have high hopes.

With zoloft, I felt less anxiety at first, but at that time I wasn't experiencing nearly as much anxiety or depression as I had this recent time. I was also anorgasmic on zoloft.

I don't know if this helps, but good luck! :)

#7 ·
Paxil has helped my depression greatly.

For the anxiety, maybe a slight improvement but nothing groundbreaking. I still get quite nervous with social situations, but I think I am a bit better with paxil.

I've been on it for almost a month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.