Coming off Parnate - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Coming off Parnate

Hi people, just registered here. I haven't been able to find a good answer anywhere on the net so thought I'd ask around.

I've only been on Parnate 30mg a day for two months, but I've decided to come off as the side effects were too much to handle, especially the drowsiness. I went to my doctor and she recommended two weeks of 20mg, then 2 weeks of 10, then 1 week of 10 every other day before stopping completely. She has no idea about the drug or MAOIs in general, she didn't even know what Tranylcypromine was initially and had to look it up to prescribe it for me. So basically I'm wondering if this slow tapering is a little excessive, because I'd rather be rid of this drug sooner rather than later. Could I cut it down a bit?

Also... how long would I need to wait after complete discontinuation before being able to consume tyramine again? The doc seemed to think a week, but I'm not sure...

Thanks for reading, hope someone can help me out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glywysing View Post
Hi people, just registered here. I haven't been able to find a good answer anywhere on the net so thought I'd ask around.

I've only been on Parnate 30mg a day for two months, but I've decided to come off as the side effects were too much to handle, especially the drowsiness. I went to my doctor and she recommended two weeks of 20mg, then 2 weeks of 10, then 1 week of 10 every other day before stopping completely. She has no idea about the drug or MAOIs in general, she didn't even know what Tranylcypromine was initially and had to look it up to prescribe it for me. So basically I'm wondering if this slow tapering is a little excessive, because I'd rather be rid of this drug sooner rather than later. Could I cut it down a bit?

Also... how long would I need to wait after complete discontinuation before being able to consume tyramine again? The doc seemed to think a week, but I'm not sure...

Thanks for reading, hope someone can help me out!
Hi,

it's generally reccommended to taper down with MAOI's. They are powerful drugs and not to be taken lightly. For Nardil it is recommended 14 days of washout before consuming tyramine again. I'm not sure about Parnate. I would check out the manufactuers info on that. That is scary your doctor does not know. She should probably know about medicines she is prescribing....you know as a physician and all
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredtolive View Post
Hi,

it's generally reccommended to taper down with MAOI's. They are powerful drugs and not to be taken lightly. For Nardil it is recommended 14 days of washout before consuming tyramine again. I'm not sure about Parnate. I would check out the manufactuers info on that. That is scary your doctor does not know. She should probably know about medicines she is prescribing....you know as a physician and all
Well, MAOIs are hardly ever prescribed in this country (UK) these days. She'd never prescribed Parnate before to anybody, and she's not that young either.

I know, I just thought it seemed a very long taper period compared to other drugs I've been on in the past, also considering that I've only been on them for two months, but I don't know if that makes a difference.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 02:53 PM
SAS Member

that's a longgggggg withdrawal. I'd do 10 mg/week. I was on Parnate for a month and I came off of it in I think 7 days or something. Was at 30 mg too.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM
avui, no demà

was it helping you? if it was and drowsiness was the primary adverse effect then you might want to reevaluate the situation.

'i'm in love with your brother / what's his name?' - karin dreijer andersson, olof dreijer
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmourr View Post
that's a longgggggg withdrawal. I'd do 10 mg/week. I was on Parnate for a month and I came off of it in I think 7 days or something. Was at 30 mg too.
Yeah I thought so too. I think I will try 20 for a week, then 10 for another, then stop and see how it goes. I've read about people stopping cold turkey from 30mg and being fine, but also stories of other people experiencing horrible withdrawal. We'll see. My doctor didn't have a clue, I think she was just covering her arse and trying to make sure I wouldn't get bad withdrawal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuraeuropea View Post
was it helping you? if it was and drowsiness was the primary adverse effect then you might want to reevaluate the situation.
When I say drowsiness I mean I am completely good for nothing in the evenings. Most evenings I will have to sleep an hour or so, and a few evenings ago I slept for 4 hours, then couldn't sleep for the rest of the night and stayed awake until the following evening. I've been considering coming off them for a while but thought I'd persevere, but after that episode I decided to definitely come off. They helped me a little (during the day at least), but not well enough to weigh against the side effects.

I am also experiencing a lot of tinnitus which is a pain. I hate the dietary restrictions too. I'm a great lover of cheese, and also real ale and red wine. I could live with them if it was worth it, but it isn't.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Well, MAOIs are hardly ever prescribed in this country (UK) these days. She'd never prescribed Parnate before to anybody, and she's not that young either.

I know, I just thought it seemed a very long taper period compared to other drugs I've been on in the past, also considering that I've only been on them for two months, but I don't know if that makes a difference.
I see. Better safe then sorry. Then eat all the cheese and wine you want.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 PM
avui, no demà

Quote:
When I say drowsiness I mean I am completely good for nothing in the evenings. Most evenings I will have to sleep an hour or so, and a few evenings ago I slept for 4 hours, then couldn't sleep for the rest of the night and stayed awake until the following evening. I've been considering coming off them for a while but thought I'd persevere, but after that episode I decided to definitely come off. They helped me a little (during the day at least), but not well enough to weigh against the side effects.

I am also experiencing a lot of tinnitus which is a pain. I hate the dietary restrictions too. I'm a great lover of cheese, and also real ale and red wine. I could live with them if it was worth it, but it isn't.
ah, i see. well, it does look like a time for a change, although maois are usually turned to after other psychopharmacological intervention methods have failed. what is/are your diagnosis/diagnoses? and what is the next plan of action?

'i'm in love with your brother / what's his name?' - karin dreijer andersson, olof dreijer
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuraeuropea View Post
ah, i see. well, it does look like a time for a change, although maois are usually turned to after other psychopharmacological intervention methods have failed. what is/are your diagnosis/diagnoses? and what is the next plan of action?
Yeah, I've tried a few more modern drugs before, a while ago though. I'm diagnosed with social anxiety/depression, though not as severe as some people I think. Next I'm not sure, I tried CBT before but it wasn't really CBT, just counselling really, so I might try proper CBT. As for meds, no idea, I don't want to try another MAOI.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 AM
avui, no demà

Quote:
Yeah, I've tried a few more modern drugs before, a while ago though. I'm diagnosed with social anxiety/depression, though not as severe as some people I think. Next I'm not sure, I tried CBT before but it wasn't really CBT, just counselling really, so I might try proper CBT. As for meds, no idea, I don't want to try another MAOI.
ah. well, good luck!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 07:54 AM
SAS Member

You should try proper CBT
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by taonx View Post
You should try proper CBT
CBT was worthless for me. I think for those with endogenous conditions it is pretty ineffective. Or I shouldn't say that I simply think that, studies have shown that in cases of endogenous depression, CBT is pretty ineffective.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page