Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

View Poll Results: Clonazepam and Diazepam OR lorazepam and Alprazolam
Clonazepam and Diazepam 9 45.00%
lorazepam and Alprazolam 8 40.00%
None of the above because.....(feel free to answer) 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2010, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Clonazepam and Diazepam VS Xanax and Lorazepam

So which do you all think is stronger and faster acting when it comes to these four benzos?

I put Xanax (alprazolam) in with Lorazepam as they are both fast acting
Clonazepam (klonopin) and Diazepam (Vallium) seem to be the psychiatrists choice as they have a longer half life and supposedly Klonopin is stronger but it can make you feel lethargic and depressed.

Personally i would choose Xanax and Lorazepam if you need to go to something social like a party, wedding, social gathering, school or whatever because they work better, but then again they are said to be more addictive, although i find myself only wanting to hang around the house on clonazepam and high dose clonazepam makes it even worse. I am like a vegetable, calm but not interested in watching tv or going outside or writing or anything.

Lorazepam gives me motivation and social help, Xanax i do want to try because its the most potent well except for triazolam and midazolam but i will not try them after i was given triazolam as a pre med, it was so good i had terrible withdrawals from it, worse than zopiclone and i had only had one dose of 0.25MG of triazolam so thats pretty bad.

Yeah so please tell me your feedback

I would rather my doc switch me to Lorazepam as i find them more useful and less sedating, they perk me up and also make me sleepy at the end of the day......

Xanax may be too strong, i do not know. I read that you only take it once a day, unlike lorazepam and clonazepam and with diazepam its so weak you need a lot but its useful in people coming off Xanax and lorazepam.

Anyway whats your verdict?
I know it depends on the dosage but there are equivalencies

Alprazolam ( Xanax ) Half life 6-12 hrs
Dosage equivalency 0.5MG

Clonazepam ( Klonopin, Rivotril ) Half life 18-50 hrs
Dosage equivalency 0.5

Diazepam ( Valium )Half life 20-100 OR 36-200 hrs depending on the individual.
Dosage equivalency10MG

Lorazepam ( Ativan )Half life10-20 hrs
Dosage equivalency 1MG

So it would seem that the least potent out of these four would be the Diazepam
The fastest acting would be Alprazolam
The longest half life per pill would be Clonazepam
And overall fast acting, potent benzo with less side effects would be lorazepam

What would you choose?
or have you been on them all?

also would the effects vary depending on the sex of the person taking them aswell as other things like physical and mental health? Chemical absorption and heart rate. I have noticed a few males on here who dislike lorazepam but females seem to prefer it over klonopin. I know i do

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ativan's half-life is that long? It seems to only work for about 4 hours for me. I like Ativan, but not the sublinguals. A .5 sublingual is placebo to me, 1mg like a .5 in regular pill form. Ativan seems to energize me, and it is good for both social and generalized anxiety for me. Especially when I first start taking it, it does seem to affect my memory.

I LOVE Valium. 5mg works really well for me, and the effect seems to last an entire day. It energizes, and I'd say it completely kills my social anxiety. Alcohol tolerance isn't affected. No noticeable side effects either.

I've only taken Xanax once. 1mg knocked me out for 12 hours. I felt awesome when I finally woke up.

Never taken clonazepam.
rustybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Taken all 4.

Xanax is with a doubt, my favourite....but man does it wear out quick!
Raptors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's weird. Xanax never worked for me. I kept upping the dose all the way to 4mg at a time, and it felt like I was taking a sugar pill!?! I didn't understand why it's so "good" for some people. However, my doctor said that I do react unusually to medicine. Like some low dosages of SSRI's caused rare physical symptoms.
However, I can feel the effects of Klonopin in just 30 minutes.
wjc75225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I prefer to have Xanax and Klonopin. I hate Ativan.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr House View Post
I prefer to have Xanax and Klonopin. I hate Ativan.
yeah a lot of males seem to dislike ativan whereas i felt clonazepam (klonopin) did not work, well it took ages too work and the effects it gave were too sedating, they were not stimulating like Lorazepam

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lorazepam followed by xanax then temazepam, then diazepam,and only if hell freezes over will I take klonopin again. Lorazepam and xanax have no withdrawal symptoms for me even if I get up to a really high dose. Lorazepam works as more of a muscle relaxant and I take around 1mg right now for sleep. I was up to 2mg when my doctor refused to prescribe a higher dose and after I build tolerance there is little difference to me between those 2 doses so I figured there was no reason to take more than 1mg. It also means if I keep refilling my 2mg prescription on time I can occasionally take 4-5mg when needed like now when it's 2:40 am and I do not feel at all like sleep. Both of those also stop me from crying within minutes of taking them.

Temazepam I can tolerate but it does not actually make me feel good and sometimes I feel a little worse several hours after taking it. Klonopin made me forget 2 weeks of my life except for the absolute horrible crashes right around time to take the next dose which usually had me hyperventilating from crying so hard and panicking at everything. It was also horrible to get off of but I just stopped cold since the day or so of withdrawal was better than the couple hours every day I had to go through as it was.

http://www.ladyjayes.com/bringonrain.html
Akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc75225
It's weird. Xanax never worked for me. I kept upping the dose all the way to 4mg at a time, and it felt like I was taking a sugar pill!?! I didn't understand why it's so "good" for some people. However, my doctor said that I do react unusually to medicine.
I had the same situation. And my doc didn't want to believe me. And we are not the only ones - alprazolam is not working for many people. I don't know why, but I think it can be related to mechanism of action - mayby alprazolam is targeting other GABA A receptors than rest of benzos.

I was taking three of that four - diazepam, alprazolam and lorazepam. Alprazolam was not working like I said before. Diazepam is not bad and lorazepam is very good as anxiolytic
Now I have 23 pills of lorazepam(1mg). The simple pill is good enough for most of the social situations. Sometimes I'm taking 2mg.

There are two problems with lorazepam - it is addictive and second - it makes me wanna drink alcohol.
Rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Xanax and Klonopin. Xanax is by far the most euphoric of all I've tried, but too short-acting for my needs. Klonopin is good for anxiety, quite long-lasting and although not as good for mood as Xanax, isn't too depressing. Valium is extremely fast-acting but I found it too sedating and quite depressing. Ativan was kind of "blah" and took ages to kick in, but I don't remember it that well.

euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've been on Klonopin, Xanax and Temazepam in the past and all felt pretty much the same to me overall tbh.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sadly I've only tried Xanax, although I plan to try diazepam very soon.
It essentially makes me feel as if my conscious mind is on vacation. I don't really pay attention to things or remember what goes on. Things don't seem real, and provided I don't end up arbitrarily falling asleep on it (which has happened before) I feel pretty lethargic. Strangely, I recently reduced my dose from .5mg/day (at *least*) to under 1mg a week and have noticed no withdrawal effects. *shrug*
I'll give it this though, it definitely made me feel less anxious. Of course, it's hard to feel much of any emotion when it feels like you're sleepwalking...
ThePolyfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc75225 View Post
It's weird. Xanax never worked for me. I kept upping the dose all the way to 4mg at a time, and it felt like I was taking a sugar pill!?! I didn't understand why it's so "good" for some people. However, my doctor said that I do react unusually to medicine. Like some low dosages of SSRI's caused rare physical symptoms.
However, I can feel the effects of Klonopin in just 30 minutes.
I'm the opposite. I tried klonopin up to 4mg. I too thought I was taking a placebo, especially considering the pleasant taste.

Valium didn't do **** for me, either. Ativan on the other hand completely cured my anxiety...for 2 weeks. Then tolerance built up.

Xanax is the only drug that even remotely helps me now.

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

Tried(Sup.): Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Kava Kava, Rhodiola Rosea, Omega-3

Tried(Therapy): CBT
styler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstylish View Post
I'm the opposite. I tried klonopin up to 4mg. I too thought I was taking a placebo, especially considering the pleasant taste.

Valium didn't do **** for me, either. Ativan on the other hand completely cured my anxiety...for 2 weeks. Then tolerance built up.

Xanax is the only drug that even remotely helps me now.

Interesting. I think 4mg of Klonopin at one time would make me feel drunk. Xanax and Klonopin are the only benzo's I've taken, and Klonopin is the only one I feel the effects of. I really had no need to try the others out there because Klonopin works for me. I used to take the Klonopin that tastes like sugar (I know what you mean haha!). The ones I take now have an outer shell, so I don't get that pleasant taste anymore =/.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbk View Post
I had the same situation. And my doc didn't want to believe me. And we are not the only ones - alprazolam is not working for many people. I don't know why, but I think it can be related to mechanism of action - mayby alprazolam is targeting other GABA A receptors than rest of benzos.

I was taking three of that four - diazepam, alprazolam and lorazepam. Alprazolam was not working like I said before. Diazepam is not bad and lorazepam is very good as anxiolytic
Now I have 23 pills of lorazepam(1mg). The simple pill is good enough for most of the social situations. Sometimes I'm taking 2mg.

There are two problems with lorazepam - it is addictive and second - it makes me wanna drink alcohol.
Ya, it's interesting how everyone's brain reacts differently! It make psychiatry really difficult! My pdoc believed me when I said Xanax did nothing, so I switched to Klonopin like I said above. Those are the only two benzo's I've tried because Klonopin works for me. I didn't see a need to try anything else once I found one that helps.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Personally i found 4MG of klonopin made me dizzy and 6MG had me lying on the bed like a vegetable. Lorazepam is a good anxiolytic RBK is right there
Personally i do not find klonopin helpful, they do sedate and calm you down but its not stimulating and with lorazepam i never wanted to drink, and i was able to come off them when given a prescription easier than clonazepam which is crazy since the doc told me ativan was more addictive than clonazepam.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #16 (permalink)

I disagree with above equivalency, since I in no way believe that the 10 mg of Xanax I take in a day equals 200 mg (20 tablets) of Valium.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
I disagree with above equivalency, since I in no way believe that the 10 mg of Xanax I take in a day equals 200 mg (20 tablets) of Valium.
Have u taken over 100MG of valium?
i have, and it made me very very sleepy
Personally i would say Xanax would be much stronger, then again they say that 5MG of klonopin is the same as 100Mg of valium and its not
Clonazepam seems to me to be a placebo

Old 10-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ativan - no effects (up to 6mg a day)
Valium - helped with anxiety but made me groggy, irritable and depressed. (30mg a day)
Xanax - made me tired, zombie-like and slow. Couldn't function on it (1-3mg a day)
Clonazepam - works well for my social anxiety, panic and anxiety. It also doesn't make me depressed like EVERY other benzo. Very minor sexual side effects (others didnt cause any besides xanax) but that's when I use over 2mg. I take 1-2mg a day now and find it the best for me by a long shot. Only benzo I can take at all.
Bromazepam - not mentioned in your title but I tried 3mg and 6mg tablets. Bromazepam is very unpopular and rare to find but I found it to be as good as clonazepam if not more. Effects are like valium without the depressed and down feeling. It wears off quick tho and although it is potent to me for anxiety clonazepam is more potent for panic but each are equally effective for my social anxiety though. I took bromazepam 3 times a day and with clonazepam I take it once which is a major help.
Canadian4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

I got all the way to 6mg at once with clonazepam before I gave up. Not any conscious changes at all, and no unconscious ones visible to anyone else, at least. Alprazolam has a noticeable effect with as little as 1mg. I had no idea there were people with the opposite affliction.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
MBL

I find oxazepam is strong.

Xanax doesn't faze me.
Ativan is mild, but effective.
I find clonazepam (Klonopin) is decent but I seem to need large doses.
MBL is offline   Reply With Quote