X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 11-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Chewable anti-anxiety meds?

Hi, I'm 19 and I take gummy vitamins. I absolutely CANNOT swallow pills. I've tried maaannny different methods (ie. in applesauce, with small candy, with a ton of water...) and I've never ever been able to. I've gotten pills down into my throat a few times, only to throw it back up seconds laters.

The problem is that I'll likely be percribed anti-anxiety meds of some sort this Thursday when I have an appointment with a psychiatrist. My therapist (who isn't a psychiatrist) thinks that I'd benefit greatly from them...and I agree. Obviously, I'll find out on Thursday, but I'd thought I'd ask here first so that I could possible calm my worries...does any anti-anxiety medication (general or social) come in chewable? Or liquid? Or gummy?

I've tried googling it but have had no luck. THANKS!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Chewable anti-anxiety meds?

Klonopin is exactly what your looking for. You can melt them under your tongue and it tastes kinda sweet like candy.

As for swallowing pills, i can teach you how if you want. I was once like you, and had to have liquid prozac. Now ive started swallowing some without even water.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Note: majority of typos are from posting on my phone
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
Klonopin is exactly what your looking for. You can melt them under your tongue and it tastes kinda sweet like candy.

As for swallowing pills, i can teach you how if you want. I was once like you, and had to have liquid prozac. Now ive started swallowing some without even water.
Oooo candy...nice! Thanks for responding. I'll be off now to web search Klonopin. And how did you achieve such swallowing success. That's great!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

to achieve swallowing sucess I started first with VERY small pills such as zopiclone 1mg pills and thick chocolate pudding. I slowly moved up to bigger pills and thinner substances like yogurt then chocolate milkshakes, then milk, then water. Also I find if you put the pill at the front of your mouth and start sucking, sending it flying towards the back of your mouth then immediately swallowing works best. I find capsules and small pills easiest to swallow. I find regular tylenol or non coated large pills like percocets still hard to swallow so i use pudding or something with them.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

wow...thanks for all the advice! Depending on what I'm prescribed, I just may try all that.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

btw, lexapro is the smallest SSRI pill
--Isaac Asimov

Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Xanax is easily chewed. Sure doesn't taste like candy though.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

many tablets can be disolved under the tongue, they start working sooner that way too
arthur56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Can you dissolve regular Klonopin under your tongue or do you have to get a special kind to do that? How much quicker does it work if you do that?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutHolder
Can you dissolve regular Klonopin under your tongue or do you have to get a special kind to do that? How much quicker does it work if you do that?
you can dissolve regular klonopin and it tastes sweet.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 11-27-2007, 11:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

They make Klonopin wafers that are specifically designed to be take sublingually.

I used to have the same problem as you probly until I was nineteen as well. Essentially, my fear was that I would die and choke on them. As soon as I got suicidal, I could swallow pills. Once you "learn" how to do it, it kinda becomes natural and you wont forget.

At first I started slow, by chewing my anti-depressents very fast and then swallowing them with water. After awhile I could simply swallow them with no problem.

I believe that you can overcome this.
scotthallkevinnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 05:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

klonopin wafers are a waste of money, just use regular old klonopin and dissolve under tongue. They tastes sweet.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Wellll I've just been prescibed 10mg of Prozak. I haven't gone over to CVS yet...soooo hopefull I'll be able to swallow them, although I'm skeptical.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiiii
Oooo candy...nice! Thanks for responding. I'll be off now to web search Klonopin. And how did you achieve such swallowing success. That's great!
Yea, if I could give the taste of klonopin a name it would be "marshmallow mint", because that is what it tastes like!
But my hands are busy in the air"
~ Incubus
Redefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Wellll I've just been prescibed 10mg of Prozak. I haven't gone over to CVS yet...soooo hopefull I'll be able to swallow them, although I'm skeptical.
...and I just did it! On my first try, too. I read of a method online last night that I have never tried before, so I decided to practice last night with swallowing tic tacs. Here's how it goes:

Chew up a gummy candy (I used swedish fish) and when it's chewed up enough to naturally want to swallow it, toss the pill on in to your mouth. I was easily able to swallow them both together!

Noooow I'm curious to see how this goes. Does most people usually get any side effects on the first day?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
...and I just did it! On my first try, too. I read of a method online last night that I have never tried before, so I decided to practice last night with swallowing tic tacs. Here's how it goes:

Chew up a gummy candy (I used swedish fish) and when it's chewed up enough to naturally want to swallow it, toss the pill on in to your mouth. I was easily able to swallow them both together!

Noooow I'm curious to see how this goes. Does most people usually get any side effects on the first day?
Yay! side effects like nausea will only occur within a few hours of taking the drug.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 11-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca
Quote:
Quote:

Yay! side effects like nausea will only occur within a few hours of taking the drug.
JOY. But actually, it's been nearly 12 hours and I haven't had any nausea. I have however had some stomach craps...but that may also be explained by my period.