X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 12-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Celexa - SO TIRED! Help me :(

Right,

I'm only on 10mg Citalopram at the moment, and I am SO TIRED all the time. It's unreal, I can't function like this, all I want to do is sleep. I would like to start taking 20mg of a medicine because I feel 10mg treats depression and 20mg and over help anxiety (which is my #1 problem). But if I took 20mg, surely I would feel.. potentially twice as tired? Should I go on Paxil instead? Or another drug?

I would really want some help from you guys, because I'm trying to study and I can't concentrate on anything.
Cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold View Post
Right,

I'm only on 10mg Citalopram at the moment, and I am SO TIRED all the time. It's unreal, I can't function like this, all I want to do is sleep. I would like to start taking 20mg of a medicine because I feel 10mg treats depression and 20mg and over help anxiety (which is my #1 problem). But if I took 20mg, surely I would feel.. potentially twice as tired? Should I go on Paxil instead? Or another drug?

I would really want some help from you guys, because I'm trying to study and I can't concentrate on anything.
If it persists you should consider a different SSRI. I had horrible somnolence with Paxil...fell asleep at work, movies, almost while driving. They put me on Ritalin to combat this and it worked, but I became addicted to it. Flash forward 10 years, I try Prozac for the first time. No tiredness at all, in fact I have more energy than normal
donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Actually I thought that the higher doses were for depression & the lower for anxiety. I could be wrong though.

I was taking 20mg a day citalopram and I was always tired just like you. My solution was to cut it (& my pills) in half to 10mg a day so I could get "the best of both worlds". Perhaps you could consider this option.
gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilt View Post
Actually I thought that the higher doses were for depression & the lower for anxiety. I could be wrong though.

I was taking 20mg a day citalopram and I was always tired just like you. My solution was to cut it (& my pills) in half to 10mg a day so I could get "the best of both worlds". Perhaps you could consider this option.
How did you find that worked for you? did it help? did you feel better throughout the day? I'm on 20mg before bed every night.
Jcq126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used to have that problem when I took it in the morning. At 3 o'clock I would be exhausted everyday and would have to take a nap.

Now I take it before I go to bed and I don't have that problem. I take 20mg btw.
But my hands are busy in the air"
~ Incubus
Redefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Try zoloft. It's pretty energizing.
peaceandlove09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah all drugs do is just make me drowsy dosent do anything to help the situation idk
Old 12-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcq126 View Post
How did you find that worked for you? did it help? did you feel better throughout the day? I'm on 20mg before bed every night.

I am making it through the day, although I'm not without anxiety. But I prefer it to the tiredness.
gilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

This can be a side effect of SSRI's. I believe celexa made me a bit tired but that wore off eventually.

You should probably see your doctor if you cannot function on it. Most likely you will get another SSRI or SNRI. Paxil is generally energizing so that would be a good choice. Effexor or cymbalta (if you can afford it) are choices for SNRI's and they almost definitely will give you energy. Effexor has nasty withdrawal however so only take it if it really helps.
Himi Jendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I take my medications at night...about an hour before I plan to go to bed and I am able to sleep just like a baby the whole night through. I use to take Celexa during the day as well and it made me so tired, I could barely keep my eyes open and had absolutely no energy. Try taking the medication at night.
serenity2125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity2125 View Post
I take my medications at night...about an hour before I plan to go to bed and I am able to sleep just like a baby the whole night through. I use to take Celexa during the day as well and it made me so tired, I could barely keep my eyes open and had absolutely no energy. Try taking the medication at night.
This is exactly what I do.
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
millenniumman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenity2125 View Post
I used to take it at night but it kept giving me night sweats.
Purple Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am also on 10mg Citalopram. I'm sleepy even after a long nap or a good night sleep. I have only been taking this med for about 3 weeks now and I suspect the sleepyness will subside eventualy. I hope. I own my own buisness and this sleepyness is hurting my productivity. I also keep in mind that before this med I suffered for many years with extreame anxiety and insomia. My body may simply be cathing up after years of compounded stress. This could be the same for others battling the sleep issue. Still I plan to keep with this med and see were it takes me. Sleepy is better than sleeplessness, panic and fear. My question would be, has anyone for a good natural stimulant, green tea etc. I'm going to try it. Oh heres an intresting tidbit. I have been a long time smoker and after starting this med I found my desire to smoke has greatly decreased. I used to smoke a pack in 2 days now a pack lasts a week. I feel I will be able to fully quit very soon.

Ps sorry for any spelling mistakes. I put the sexy in dislexia. LOL
kittykaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Celexa work's on histimine recepter you can try lexapo it doesn't effect those one's, its more activating less drowiness, cheaper alternative's might be zoloft or prozac "longest halflife out of all the ssri" , but does zoloft cause a withdrawal syndrome? i dunno, lexapro doesn't and prozac might be safer in that area

~~The best lesson learned in life are what is not taught they are learned.

~~We used to think the world was flat, Now we think its round, But are thinking is still flat, It needs to be round, So really are reality hasn't changed.

~~The difference between the known and the unknown, Is a half cup of fullness or, A empty cup of fullness, The difference in faith of believing and not believing,
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Stop taking it. That is my answer. Opt for another SSRI if you must take one, and tell your doc you want methylphenidate with it because you think it will be more effective that way. It's worth a try...

...tell them I said something..."

Pancho Villa
jonny neurotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

make sure you don't stop it cold turkey celexa causes a withdrawal syndrome

~~The best lesson learned in life are what is not taught they are learned.

~~We used to think the world was flat, Now we think its round, But are thinking is still flat, It needs to be round, So really are reality hasn't changed.

~~The difference between the known and the unknown, Is a half cup of fullness or, A empty cup of fullness, The difference in faith of believing and not believing,
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Being on citalopram for two days was horrrrriiibbleee Never again.

My blog (on books, anxiety & assorted things)
lucyinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default celexa

Celexa is making me tired too. I took Prozac for years and it made me very anxious so I would not suggest that. Zoloft also made me tired but not as much as Celexa. The problem is that Celexa works. I have tried taking adderral 10 mg which will get you through the day. Hope this helps.

B
brewer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Change meds. or if you think citalopram does help. Consider trying nuvigil or provigil, as the next step med. wise. Also, eat well, exercise, sleep, and make sure you get plenty of the B-Vits. and panax ginseng will help.
metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Just got off Celexa, made me tired and dizzy-like, Trying Zoloft but it appears to be doing the same thing. Trying to get back on Effexor. I was on it a few years ago and it worked the best for me. (I stopped it due to lack of libidio and we were trying to start a family) But insurance won't okay it until I try 2 other "cheaper" meds first. Even though I was on already once before with the same insurance company apparently they don't care....Even though theres a generic for it....Go figure.

Anyways, I'm only trying medicine again on behalf of my wife's wishes. I hate feeling like a Zombie, No highs and no lows. Got myself into a terrible depression with an easily agitated state of mind that included a "furniture" breaking episode. Not proud of that. As soon as I feel comfortable, I am STOPPING these mind-numbing drugs.....