X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default can zoloft make you more emotional?

so i've been taking zoloft (50mg) for something like 3-4 weeks for social anxiety and depression. before i first started taking it i was very anxious about the side effects, but thankfully they were no where near as bad as anticipated. i had a little nausea the first few days, and it makes me really sensitive to caffeine. but i'm feeling all around happier and my anxiety level is slowly going down.

i'm having one weird side effect though that wasn't anticipated, i'm a lot more sensitive, or emotional. at the end of my first week on zoloft, i started bawling my eyes out, for more than an hour, over how a piece of art made me feel (lol). the next week i started bawling again over kanye west's mom (i was reading his wikipedia article, and again, lol), it goes on and on. i've turned into a bleeding heart! so i'm crying a lot more now, but somehow i'm actually feeling a lot better than i used to.

i looked up if other people had similar symptoms to me, but all i found was people complaining that they were less emotional, which is strange. so i just wanted to know, does anyone else have these symptoms or the same experience? is this something i should talk to my doctor about?
roxslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxslide View Post
so i've been taking zoloft (50mg) for something like 3-4 weeks for social anxiety and depression. before i first started taking it i was very anxious about the side effects, but thankfully they were no where near as bad as anticipated. i had a little nausea the first few days, and it makes me really sensitive to caffeine. but i'm feeling all around happier and my anxiety level is slowly going down.

i'm having one weird side effect though that wasn't anticipated, i'm a lot more sensitive, or emotional. at the end of my first week on zoloft, i started bawling my eyes out, for more than an hour, over how a piece of art made me feel (lol). the next week i started bawling again over kanye west's mom (i was reading his wikipedia article, and again, lol), it goes on and on. i've turned into a bleeding heart! so i'm crying a lot more now, but somehow i'm actually feeling a lot better than i used to.

i looked up if other people had similar symptoms to me, but all i found was people complaining that they were less emotional, which is strange. so i just wanted to know, does anyone else have these symptoms or the same experience? is this something i should talk to my doctor about?
I agree with you. I'm a guy and like two weeks ago my (3rd-4th week on zoloft) I felt more emotional. I admit I bawled my eye out one night but it was over my family and fighting with them. But I usually get mad and walk away from it.
barry1685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

I experience increased emotional intensity from zoloft as well. This is in major contrast with all other SSRI's. There is definitely something different about it. More dopamine or norepinephrene action or something.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

zoloft was meh. to many side efx.
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Zoloft has made me feel like I'm going even more crazy, and I've been on it almost 2 months. Also gave me intense alcohol cravings (all SSRI's do for some reason)... I'm about to get off this for obvious reasons.
behindblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

WTF??

Im on 200mg of zoloft. Been 3 months

I have lost all ability to feel emotion at all. The only thing i can feel is guilt and physical pleasure.

Zoloft has turned me into...a sexually frustrated zombie who feels like hes living in the matrix.
King Moonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxslide View Post

it must be the dopaminergic side of Zoloft. Do you think that being more emotional does interfere with the antidepressant efficacy of Zoloft?
I take Cymbalta and I never cry...and never laugh.
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Moonracer View Post
WTF??
who feels like hes living in the matrix.
that's interesting. what do you mean?
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wish i could cry
I have depression but I never cry on/off meds
Do you feel better after you cry ?
Old 07-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Zoloft made me socially mute for about 3 days after the second time i started it
It also made me intensely depersonalized. I mean to the point where i didn't know who i was, apart from my name. It also made my soldier numb after 50mg+ and i guess once it kicked in i was pretty anhedonic.
And zoloft is what i would think would have the best effect on me..
Porterdog is offline   Reply With Quote