Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree2 Liked Posts

Old 03-14-2008, 04:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can someone tell me anything good about Paxil?

I went in to the doctor yesterday to get a prescription for Nardil. I did all the research, and it seemed like the best option. While I was there, he convinced me to try Paxil and wrote me a three month prescription. Now that I've checked into Paxil, I can't really find anyone that'll say anything good about it, compared with massive amounts of people who have said it basically ruined their lives. The side effects seem rather extreme, and I can't really find anyone that will say anything good about it. Does anyone have any good experiences with Paxil, or should I go back and insist on something else?
demonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Can someone tell me anything good about Paxil?

paxil make me talktive to strangers.
michaelyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

but i take it with klonopin.
michaelyuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

I had the worst sexual sides of all the AD's I've tried on Paxil. I could only tolerate it for 4 weeks. Zoloft is much better for me. I have no sexual side effects on Zoloft. I ramped up to 100mg after 2 months and that is my current dose. It took a while for it to kick in and for the side effects to go away, but now I'm side free. Zoloft is FDA approved for the treatment of SA. It has been very effective in treating my anxiety so far.
shana likes this.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Paxil is an anti-orgasm pill but otherwise harmless in my experience. YMMV.
shana likes this.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Paxil for me was very effective in treating depression (read: no more depression) and somewhat effective in lessening SA while I was on it. Depression returned and SA worsened when I ended the medication. Paxil I found to be sedating, made it take longer to reach climax but still never had any problem eventually getting there (not such a bad thing), made me more talkative (perhaps b/c I wasn't depressed).

I quit Paxil in search of a more stimulating med. to take alongside Klonopin. Unfortunately, even Parnate + Klonopin makes me drowsy and sluggish. Paxil in monotherapy was great for depression and okay for SA, but it still left a lot to be wanted in terms of treating SA.

Zoloft & esp. St. John's Wort also helped with depression but were like sugar pills for SA for me. Paxil actually made a noticeable though limited improvement.
jakejohnson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Paxil at 80mgs was a great drug for anxiety, however, it did not touch my depression which currently threatens my life.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonduck
Does anyone have any good experiences with Paxil, or should I go back and insist on something else?
Didn't do me any justice, but experiences may vary. It does seem like more people complain about it than not though. Maybe try it and see for yourself.
Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scofield
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonduck
Does anyone have any good experiences with Paxil, or should I go back and insist on something else?
Didn't do me any justice, but experiences may vary. It does seem like more people complain about it than not though. Maybe try it and see for yourself.
thats because an SSRI has less than a 50% chance to work
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

Right, Paxil is generally less effective and weaker than an MAOI. However, there is a definite chance that Paxil may help and may be enough. Since Paxil has much less risk involved (you really need to watch drug and food contraindications while on an MAOI because some endanger your life), it's probably a good idea to give it a shot and hope it does work. If not, an MAOI is worth trying and you will have an easier time convincing any doctor to let you on an MAOI if you have tried Paxil with zero to little success.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

I hated Paxil when I started it for OCD, it actually made me depressed and losing my concentration. But readjusting the dosage and sticking to it was a great decision 'cause after 3 months I haven't felt this positive for years. I thought I wasn't depressed before but I was wrong. Somehow it must have influenced my outside attitude 'cause people I hardly know keeps saluting me or start conversations(like security & maintenance at my office, stores and restaurant male and female staff). I'm still not a great social guru when that happens but I don't feel as unconfident though. It didn't directly do anything for my anxiety issues(yet) but lifting this hidden depression has helped a lot though. I'm only at 7.5mg so it's not over yet.

Side effects I currently have is slight constipation and inconsistent sexual behavior(low and high), 2 things easy to live with.
Bandit6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Doc just gave me my first prescription (finally went in). Paxil was the drug. Not really disappointed, but thought a couple years worth of Xanax would have helped more I got 10mcg that i need to cut in half.

She said if you don't take it for a day you'll get flu like symptoms. Great. Something is really wrong with my brain, so whatever can make me a little more outgoing, i'm down with that.

She talked about the sexual side effects and said there is other drugs to offset this drug. I'll just deal with it, i don't need more.
frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Wow, only 5mg? That's an unusually small dosage, as far as I know. I was given 20mg to start off with.

I hope it works for you. I was too scurred to take it for more than a week.
njodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Paxil sucks because it is for depression. If your not depressed, then it wont work.

When I took paxil it was for anxiety and no comorbid disorders. Thus, it made me more crazy then usual. It did this to my friend as well.

The crazyness will ware off after awhile because your brain will tell the Paxil the go **** itself and chemicals will eventually returm to normal. ]

In sum, Paxil is a gateway drug to more dangerous drugs like Zoloft or Lexapro. Semen is not a thing to joke about....
scotthallkevinnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Paxil and other antidepressants make for better treatments for anxiety if you also have depression.

If I did not have also depression, I personally would not take an antidepressant.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Maybe because i'm skinny (140pounds)??? If i take it i'm starting 10 to begin with. Whats funny is a counselor and a MD both said that they didn't see any depression (although they can only learn so much in a short period of time) and still gave me Paxil. Still haven't taken it. I'm married and hardly have sex the way it is!!!

Who knows. There was a kid on the news the other day that was taking Vicodin with Xanax and i think washing it down with Vodka...maybe thats the way to go!

Another thing. The doctor (its a she/Internal Medicine) says she gives Paxil to most her patients? My sister is on Lexapro which i mentioned...maybe that factored into her decision.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:09 AM   #17 (permalink)

You can use the edge of the carton for drawing straight lines, and perhaps storing raisins in once you have thrown the pills in the bin
On to concentrate on bright things Stuck around in hopes to help, didnt seem like there was much left I could do anymore ... good luck and comfort to those who are on their own path and hope for those yet to take their first step! Much Love
yeah_yeah_yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

After reading more about this crap, i'm really starting to think i don't want to be on this! All this sexual dysfunction stuff is scaring me. If my parts aren't working, then thats just one thing (out of a very short list) that i have left that i like to do. I'll probably end up calling the doctor and telling her that i'm not taking this crap. Also read the birth defects this can cause... I want a benzo! or nothing. I'll deal with it like i have for my life.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:00 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_yeah_yeah
You can use the edge of the carton for drawing straight lines, and perhaps storing raisins in once you have thrown the pills in the bin

mmmm raisin placebos.
quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

I dont want to scare people from Paxil, but I was on it for a week, and during that week the Insomnia effect really hit me, I didnt sleep for that whole week, and I just couldnt fall asleep.

As for sexual disfunction, I could finally reach a climax, but it took a good 30+ minutes of trying real hard then finally getting there, hardly felt worth the effort lol
hulkamaniak is online now   Reply With Quote