X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 07-01-2011, 03:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question can normal doctors prescribe me medication?

hi guys and girls

im new to this thread and i joined mainly to get more information about my "condition" i am mainly suffering from depression but i didnt want to join a depression forum because the forum ironically looks depressing to me.

firstly i'd like to know from personal experience if you're able to get this medication from a normal doctor? i would like to go to a psychiatrist but they are really expensive and as a student i cant afford that. my parents aren't the supportive type either and it was a struggle to get my mom to get this doctors appointment i have in a few days time.

these are the symptoms i feel most frequently:
1. probably the reason i decided to seek help is brain fog. every now and then i lose focus on everything.
2.lack of motivation
3.self conscious (always worried with how i look.)
4.always tired
5.feel inferior. this is a big problem. i've always felt inferior around people but lately i've even felt this around my closest friends. friends who i share everything with. my best mates, and thats ruining our friendship. i always feel like i dont belong with them like they secretly dont want me around. i feel like a child around them
6.anxiety around people and strangers
7. feel like i have no future, no point to life etc and that is a massive problem considering im a student who needs to do well for my future
8. increased eating.(HUGE problem because i lost alot of weight which i dont want to gain again)

it really sucks because my depression is increasing my social anxiety. i feel like my mind is wearing away and my sanity is going. the biggest trouble i have is having conversations with people because all i think about during the conversation is how they see me and how much of a loser they think i am and whats ironic is that there is actually this girl who i like who is interested in me(know for a fact) and i know that if something happens between us(romantically) she could really help me fight my depression(give me a hope to fight this) but whenever we try to organize something i find an excuse to skip it because im scared to be around her without her or my friends ther( i keep thinking about how she sees me, what do i say, will i ***** it up etc)

i think most of this stems from my being over weight my whole life. i was always that fat kid you ate cake and played video games etc but when i moved away from home and started university i joined gym and lost 70lbs.
so im not obese anymore(still a little overweight but im extremely tall so it doesnt look too terrible) but i still think of myself as this overweight loser and that stays in my head everytime i interact with ANYONE

sorry that i rambled on but consider this a question with a "get to know me" bit included.

so again my question is will i be able to get medication for my problem from a normal doctor without seeing a therapist?

thanks for any input you people have

NOMAD91
nomad91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Any MD can legally prescribe any prescription drug they deem appropriate (I can only think of one exception to that).

The real question is will they and that largely depends on what you desire. If you'd like to get the good stuff (eg amphetamines, benzos, or any other controlled substances) you'll have a much harder time.

Now if you want a truck load of SSRIs & antipsychotics then you're in luck. GPs will give you enough to make sure you never have another orgasm and bloat up to 500 pounds because they're the "wonder" drugs of the day. The "wonder" must refer to wondering WTF docs who hand out such crap like candy could possibly be thinking.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
rik

My (normal) doctor prescribed me Tramadol for depression. After a few weeks my depression came back. I continue use it because it works well against my extreme tiredness through the day. I'll take 100mg in the morning. I'm on Amitriptyline to, but that don't work for SA for me.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's hit or miss. Doctors can prescribe psychiatric medications but most lack the knowledge. Probably 3/4ths just have a favorite med (usually an SSRI) that they insist everyone take irregardless of their symptoms or individual needs. There's maybe 1/4th out there with any intelligence and knowledge of these types of medications to choose different ones for different situations and actually give you something else if the standard favorites don't work. Even then those doctors still won't be as good as most psychiatrists.

http://www.ladyjayes.com/bringonrain.html
Akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Doctors can prescribe any psychiatric medication they choose as they are authorized and its perfectly legal but when it comes to medications that actually work lol like benzos, stimulants and mood enhancers they generally fob you off onto a psychiatrist but depending on where you live, what the doctor you see is like, how their manner toward mental illness is (for instance do they have a particular interest in patients with depression, SA, GAD etc?) The doctor we see has an advanced knowledge of psychiatric illness but sadly not medication and his prime target are patients with mental illness and developmental disorders

ultrashy basically hit the nail on the head. you will be given antipsychotics and SSRIs like you are given candy from a lolly shop because they supposedly have "less" harmful effects than the addictive drugs.
SSRIs are less likely to kill you if your overdose whereas older meds like the Tricyclics and even the old school Antipsychotics have a higher risk factor

You mentioned brain fog, yeah i get that its common with anxiety and depression. If you really feel you are spiraling out of control and its your first time on meds the doc may prescribe you a short term benzo like diazepam or something a bit weaker in the benzo department and you will most likely be given an SSRI to try but i would if i were you say no to antipsychotics because they dull you down, make you sleep until next thursday, give you a raging appetite, stunt any libido, make you depressed and can cause diabetes, tardive dyskinesia and with me they gave me Akathisia

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

haha, wow. Your about exactly the same as me.

You can go to a GP, but mine thought Celexa and Cymbalta we're the same medication.
After telling her that SSRI's dont work for me she put me on bloody epilepsy medication..
All they're good for is coughs, colds, and other stuff of that matter. When it comes to mental health they are about as useful as a turd.

Go to a GP and try an SSRI/SNRI. If they dont work, and the doctor wants to try you on more SSRI's, then the hospital would be your best bet.
Porterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

ok thanks for the feedback

its saturday now(where i am) and i have an appointment on tuesday with the doctor. i'm new to all of this and i want to know as much as i can about medications as i can.

the depression is the reason i STARTED looking for help(medication) and it is bothering me but the more i think about it, the more i realize how big of a social anxiety problem i've had my whole life.

in your experiece, how did your doctors react when you mentioned that you'd like to go on a specific medication? i want to be prepared as much as i can be.

i was going through the medication reviews and it seems almost all have different effects on different people but it seems ADDERALL seems to have got good reviews?
like i siad, i have NO background with this and i want something that'll help me be normal and a joy to be around and help my depression.

if anyone can share personal experiences with what they have had success with i'd greatly appreciate it.

thank you
Old 07-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad91 View Post

its saturday now(where i am) and i have an appointment on tuesday with the doctor. i'm new to all of this and i want to know as much as i can about medications as i can.

the depression is the reason i STARTED looking for help(medication) and it is bothering me but the more i think about it, the more i realize how big of a social anxiety problem i've had my whole life.

in your experiece, how did your doctors react when you mentioned that you'd like to go on a specific medication? i want to be prepared as much as i can be.

i was going through the medication reviews and it seems almost all have different effects on different people but it seems ADDERALL seems to have got good reviews?
like i siad, i have NO background with this and i want something that'll help me be normal and a joy to be around and help my depression.

if anyone can share personal experiences with what they have had success with i'd greatly appreciate it.

thank you
You'll get resistance from most general practioners for stimulants like adderall. They are afraid of the DEA breathing down their necks. If he/she won't prescribe, see a psychiatrist. They tend to be a bit more liberal with amphetamines.

I had many of your symptoms. Adderall made fall asleep during the day. I liked dexedrine much better.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

thank you
Yes Addy (Adderall XR) is an awesome medication but you basically got no chance in hell in getting it prescribed as your first medication for SA/depression. You gotta start low and work your way up the ladder as you ride the med-merry-go-round till you get to better drugs.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes i saw a GP and he gave me Zoloft and xanax. Refered me to a a psych after a few months. He treated me well for 11 months. Great GP!
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

ok thanks for the feedback. suppose i'l haveto see what he'll allow me to take. i live in SA(south africa..not social anxiety) so i dont know what will be available to me and the price. what are medications i should absolutely stay away from? like if he mentions them i can say no i dont want that etc so i dont get anything that'll f me up big time?
Old 07-03-2011, 01:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
ok thanks for the feedback. suppose i'l haveto see what he'll allow me to take. i live in SA(south africa..not social anxiety) so i dont know what will be available to me and the price. what are medications i should absolutely stay away from? like if he mentions them i can say no i dont want that etc so i dont get anything that'll f me up big time?
From personal experience say NO to seroquel and antipsychotics, they will more than likely be offered to you. They are NOT safe and non-addictive like the doctors try to tell you

a lot of people on here have had bad experiences with various different types but seroquel is the most commonly prescribed as its a mixture of antidepressant/anti anxiety and antipsychotic in one with mood stabilizing properties but the side effects are terrible.

the untold side effects of antipsychotics including Seroquel and olanzapine/zyprexa

Headache
increased Hunger
weight gain, stomach pain, disorientation and apathy risk of diabetes, Tardive dyskensia and Akathisia which are both movement disorders one of which i got, (Akathisia) it feels like your skin is crawling with insects.

so yeah say no if possible to any antipsychotic offered to you
all the best

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
Arisa1536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

ok again thanks for feedback. one last question i PROMISE and then i wont bother you guys/girls again.

it seems im only maybe gona have luck with SSRI's and SNRI's so last question:
in the above mentioned categories, what are the best in your opinion for SA and slight depression? so atleast i can mention it to my GP.

thanks and il start posting how it affects me when i start treatment.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

it might be a good idea just to ask the doctor to see if you have symtems of ADD-it sounds ot me like you have suffered from early childhood..look up add on youtube before you see the doctor and make your own mind up ADHD is hypoactive..ADD is inatendive,anti social there is a diffrence but the medication is the same,stimulating medication,anthedmine-which will give you an advantage with your study and social image-you will loose weight...be more alert...super smart
if you get a refural from doctor ask for a psych who spicelise with ADD for the assement ,,talk about your low income there may be a way around it
SSRIs,SNRIs are not the only option
duffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

ok so i got meds. unfortunately i got moclobemide! http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...de-maoi-84115/

ive only been on it for a day and a bit and im already feeling effects. not good ones though. i feel like a zombie! i feel stupid but im also more aware of things now. not anxiouse in a scared way but i can hear the trees rustling outside and nomal things are catching my attention. also feels like theres pressure in my head. like its inflated. currently on 75mg but 2moro i haveto start on 150mg. i hope things go better than this.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

Let us know what it does for you longer term. I used it for maybe a month but got way overstimulated/anxious which was a shame because this one is as side effect free as they come! Bit of insomnia but we're all on sleeping pills anyway so
Inshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

will do. i haveto see the doctor before i go back to varsity in about 10 days and if i dont feel any different( i mean if its making me feel bad) im gona ask for something else like paxil or something like that

but will let you know
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

The best way to get medication from a normal doctor is to tell them that you've been on it before and it worked well for you. While not the most honest thing in the world, it relieves them of any tension of having to look over you in an area that doesn't exactly fit their expertise. But if something goes wrong, just note don't blame them, since it's all in your hands. Do your research before going in.

beaches09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #19 (permalink)

ok guys so for those interested heres the result I've got from moklobemied. its helping me with my depression wake up feeling not necessarily GREAT but when i think about things i used to linger on and that would bring me down, now when it pops up my brains like: "meh whatever" and i get over it

as for SA? no help WHATSOEVER!!!! if anything its made it worse by like 20%

yeah so not very indepth but thats the experience i've had
Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

That's good to hear about it helping with depression. Sucks it hasn't helped your SA at all though.
Xande is offline   Reply With Quote