X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 10-31-2009, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can I cut the nicotine patch in half ?

I'm using nicotine patches to help me to quit smoking...

It says on the back of the box:

If you smoke 10 or less cigarettes per day, start with 14 mg patches for 6 weeks, then switch to 7 mg patches for two weeks and stop.

It also says that it should not be cut in halves...

I only have 14 mg patches...

Can I just ignore that warning and cut it in two halves, throwing away one piece and applying another on my skin... ?

I need to do it by the book, coz I'm afraid I will just start smoking again...
Some Russian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Perhaps these links will help:

http://wolfweb.unr.edu/homepage/shubinsk/smokmet1.html

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=105x4213781
Neptunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oh noez!

the comment:
Quote:
DON'T CUT THEM

If you do they will release ALL THEIR NICOTINE AT ONCE!!!!!

AND YOU WILL GET SICK!!!
But why does it do that ?

Ok, now I don't want to risk and will ask my doctor for a prescription of 7mg nicotine patches... (they cost even more than 14 mg patches) I hope my insurance will cover them...

I don't wanna buy them... coz i'm a cheap *******...

Thanks for the links, I appreciate it ...
Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Russian Guy View Post
Oh noez!

the comment:
But why does it do that ?

Ok, now I don't want to risk and will ask my doctor for a prescription of 7mg nicotine patches... (they cost even more than 14 mg patches) I hope my insurance will cover them...

I don't wanna buy them... coz i'm a cheap *******...

Thanks for the links, I appreciate it ...
Well, you can't always go by what people say on the internet, perhaps you should ask your doctor.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would assume that cutting them would cause the nicotine to come out much faster on the edge you cut. And too much nicotine is NOT a good feeling.

I know the price of the patches sucks, and I used that excuse many times to not follow through, but in comparison to paying for cigarettes for the next few months (which are disgustingly expensive up here, like almost $10 for a pack of 25) it's really quite inexpensive.

Good luck!

~ Nick Cave
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds like they are just saying that so people will buy each dose patch individually. Nice scam if you ask me. I have heard of people cutting larger dose patches into various sizes and saving money, with no ill effects. Nicotine overdose is baaaad, though. I had a seizure and psychotic feelings from chewing too much nicotine gum.

If I were you, I'd cut the patch into a tiny size first, then try it to see if it's slow or instant release when cut. Then work your way up to the size you want, just to be on the safe side. Maybe you could do this with any new type of patch, just to be sure the design doesn't release all the nicotine at once if cut.

euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

when i overdosed on nicotine gum, i felt like puking, and was extremely anxious and couldn't sleep. unfortunately, i was extremely tolerant to nicotine, so when i stopped chewing it i had really bad withdrawal, and surprisingly the symptoms were similar to nicotine overdose, so i had no idea what was going on... you could buy nicotine gum online, its always a ton cheaper....15 $ for around 100 pieces, ....thats alot better than the patches.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Or you could just gradually smoke less over time - that's what I did. Over 3 months, I eventually got down to half a cigarette per day... then nada!

You can also reinforce your decision by making a "promise" to quit to yourself (first, of course)...then a loved one, or a good friend, someone who'll support you...or, if your religious, your god. I found that really helped when I was tempted to slip up. Keeping "my word" is of the utmost importance to me...and sometimes we have to play these little psychological games with ourselves to win the battle.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Cutting Patches

I'm not recommending anything to anybody, but I have started and quit smoking a few times in the past and have always purchased the step 1 patch (21mg) and cut them in half when needed. I have had no noticeable side effects. No overdoses and no the nicotine doesn't lose it's effectiveness..contrary to some of the stuff I have read on the internet.

Regardless of what the rumors are, I have seen no proven facts that support any of the reasons why I shouldn't cut them (Other than the fact that the pharmaceutical companies make twice as much money.)

For me the patch is the best solution and has always worked when I am in the right mind set. If your not ready to quit, more than likely none of the over the counter products will make you stop. You have to have the will power to quit. To each is own that's my experience.
Link888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

You need a prescription to get the patch in New York? What the hell?
AliBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliBaba View Post
You need a prescription to get the patch in New York? What the hell?
The prescription is needed if you don't want to pay for medicine with your own money... I think you know what I'm talking about, right ?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Russian Guy View Post
The prescription is needed if you don't want to pay for medicine with your own money... I think you know what I'm talking about, right ?
Meaning some type of free clinic/pharmacy/crisis center? I always just went to Walgreens and bought it so I'm not sure.
AliBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

Chantix is far more effective and I've seen people have a ton of success with it after failing with the patches/gums/NRTs for years...
meyaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliBaba View Post
Meaning some type of free clinic/pharmacy/crisis center? I always just went to Walgreens and bought it so I'm not sure.
It's the medical insurance for the poor... madicaid
If I can get an aproval, then I can buy medicine with it...
But I need a prescription from my doctor first...

For some reason my insurance approved patches and I got it for free.
Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford it...

And be a perpetual slave to the little nicotine monster inside me...
Old 01-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyaj View Post
Chantix is far more effective and I've seen people have a ton of success with it after failing with the patches/gums/NRTs for years...
I know absolutely nothing about Chantix, but looked into it after reading this post. Here is an interesting article and input from readers I found online regarding Chantix:

http://nymag.com/news/features/43892/

Of course you can't believe everything you read online, but this is pretty convincing for me to just stick with the cut patch....lol.
Link888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

doctor doesn't want to prescribe me chantix because he says that this and risperidone, which I'm taking daily, cannot be taken together
Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link888 View Post
I know absolutely nothing about Chantix, but looked into it after reading this post. Here is an interesting article and input from readers I found online regarding Chantix:

http://nymag.com/news/features/43892/

Of course you can't believe everything you read online, but this is pretty convincing for me to just stick with the cut patch....lol.
No, this is actually an issue with the drug and any prescribing doctor should be aware of it. Relative to other medications Chantix DOES have a high rate of suicidal ideation, but it's difficult to really separate the medication from the act of quitting itself in this case. Even people on the patch are more likely to be self-injurious, but according to the article you cited only 7% of people attempting it have managed to stay off cigarettes after 6 months!

And it's quite a rare side effect. The numbers thrown out there compared to the people having actually taken the medication are extremely low. High enough to warrant advising the patient, but, especially if carefully monitored, the overall risks still tend to work out to be quite a bit lower, when you take into account the harm that smoking does and the relative inefficacy of nicotine replacement therapies. It might not be too bad to try an NRT *first* though.
meyaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

http://www.naturalfitnesstrainers.co...tine_patch.htm

http://www.dental-professional.com/F...nePatch.aspx#d

http://www.ladyjayes.com/bringonrain.html
Akane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

I've found that it works fine for the first half of the patch (no problems, and it seems to last roughly the usual time), but the second half doesn't work. This makes sense, I guess, as you're sort of breaking the seal (like taking the backing off) and giving the nic somewhere to escape. Therefore, it won't really save you any money :-(
ric03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

I realize I'm really late to this thread, but I figured I'd post a reply on this for those interested in the topic in the future before the thread closes.

First of all, before you quit smoking (if you haven't already), read this article in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/31/he...it-enough.html

Secondly, I see/hear a lot of speculation about the horrible, disastrous, potentially life threatening effects of cutting nicotine patches in half. Then I read on and find 3 more people who have actually done it, and it worked fine for them.

Not one person on any forum (and I've looked around) has posted "I cut my nicotine patches in half, got a nicotine overdose and was rushed to hospital". The WORST I've seen is from someone who got a rash worse than her usual nicotine patch rash. A rash? Seriously? People get rashes from lying on grass. A rash is the worst I've read?

Where I'm from, there's a saying: "In theory, theory and practice are the same thing. In practice, they're not."

Personally, I'd take advice from someone whose actually tried it before I take advice from someone who buys into the BigPharma's "Never cut the patch" rule. Even the doctor in the New York Times article says "it's probably safe", but that the dosage may be "unpredictable".

At the same time, BigPharma will tell you to NEVER smoke while you have a patch on. That myth was debunked years ago, but BigPharma continues to tout the dangers of smoking while on the patch. Why? So you'll take the patch off, reduce the amount of adhesive "sticky power", do it again and WHAM ... you need a new patch because the one you kept taking off to smoke won't stick anymore.

I know this is turning into a bit of a rant, forgive me please. But, have you ever actually looked at the box of generic nicotine patches? "58.5 mg nicotine with a nominal in vivo rate of 21mg per day"

Wait. At 21 mg per day, with 58.5 mg of nicotine in these patches, I could wear a single patch for over 2 days and 10 hours ... non-stop. One patch lasts two days. Believe me on this, I was a 22 year smoker, quit with the patch and each patch lasted me two days. I changed it every other morning after my shower. Since the patch is waterproof, there's no problem showering every day, either. Yes, I cut them (because of the NY Times article which suggested I had progressed too fast when I quit after 6 weeks then relapsed). I was on nicotine patches for 3 months on my second attempt. But I bought 21 mg patches, cut them into 1/3rds, and placed the unused portion back on the metal backing to ensure I didn't lose nicotine to evaporation (this does happen). Each 1/3rd patch lasted two days. Each box of 7 ($19.97 at Walmart) lasted 42 days. I purchased two boxes for my late stage of quitting and was on them for 60-odd days and then took it off after I figured I could go it alone. $40 for 84 days worth of patches. Not bad, not bad.

(I should note here that cut patches are NOT waterproof, and that every time I showered with a cut patch, I got a nicotine rush. Something about water and soap gets under the membrane and increases absorbtion. If you're using a cut patch, take it off to shower.)

Lastly, before you give up nicotine too hastily, remember that there is absolutely nothing wrong with nicotine. It's the CO and Tar in cigarettes that's harmful, not nicotine. In fact, nicotine is a great little stimulant ... about as harmful as caffeine.

If EVER you think about going back to smoking, slap a patch on your shoulder! There is no harm in going back to the patch, but there's plenty of harm in going back to cigarettes (not to mention plenty of expense)

There ... I feel better now.

-Z
ZanderPhD is offline   Reply With Quote