Can benzos or other meds like Buspar relax muscles? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Can benzos or other meds like Buspar relax muscles?

I have adhd and adjustment disorder with anxiety, so sometimes muscles in different parts of my body get tense for no apparent reason. ADHD meds seem to make them more tense and I was wondering if I anti-anxiety meds would help. I actually tried some benzos before and I think they may have helped (particularly with my urinary bladder), but my doctors seem reluctant to give me more of them. Do you think buspar might help out doing something similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Oh wait, just did a little google search and buspar doesn't relax the muscles like benzos do.... lol. Well, I hope this info is helpful for someone I guess.

Sometimes I impulsively post questions before googling for answers, but still I wonder what else I could take to relax my muscles that my doctor wouldn't be as reluctant to prescribe.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 PM
SAS Member

Benzo's and SSRI's or SNRI's.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Permanently Bland

BuSpar made me angry...not unlike Wellbutrin. At least this time I was able to recognize it and stop taking it. I have had zero luck with any SSRI's. I don't feel benzos relax muscles at all...at least not with me.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:55 PM
SAS Member

Temazepam and diazepam both work very well at relaxing muscles but being a benzo you need to weigh the pros vs cons. Have you tried muscle relaxers such as flexeril? I found it almost worthless but doctors seem to throw them at you.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Last time I tried an antidepressant, i was sweating excessively.
I've been also thinking of taking alpha blockers.. although I worry about taking things that might lower my blood pressure too much...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Surrounded by Sadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineKitty View Post
BuSpar made me angry...not unlike Wellbutrin. At least this time I was able to recognize it and stop taking it. I have had zero luck with any SSRI's.
Have you tried every SSRI? My (former) doctor wanted to make sure I thoroughly beat every dead horse -- all six of them. Didn't a 7th SSRI recently come out? If anybody pushes me to try that I may just snap & beat them to death.

I've never heard of Buspar making anyone angry before. But then it's exceptionally rare to hear of Buspar doing anything. I can't think of any psych med more widely viewed as totally useless. Wellbutrin I found to have a very mild appetite suppressant effect, but otherwise it does nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineKitty View Post
I don't feel benzos relax muscles at all...at least not with me.
Far as I know Valium is the only benzo used as a muscle relaxant. I never noticed any such effect from Valium, but unless experiencing muscle spasms I suppose it may be impossible to find such an effect. Similar to being unable to rate the pain killing ability of morphine if taken when you have no pain.

It's not too hard to imagine a drug that both relaxes muscles & the mind. Think of Soma, a muscle relaxant that is metabolized into meprobamate. Meprobamate was a very popular tranquilizer back in the 1950s, prior to the existence of benzos.

DEA agents, being on par with Nazi war criminals, should be executed for crimes against humanity. They are guilty of inflicting mass suffering upon legitimate patients.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:11 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshallah View Post
Benzo's and SSRI's or SNRI's.
^Uh....no. SSRI's make it even worse.

Yeah, benzos do help a little bit in that area.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Freesix88

Ofcourse, anything that reduces anxiety relaxes muscles ;P . Clonazepam is great for anxiety, little sedation and great anti anxiety results. Valium is indeed very sedating.

You will never get out because you were never alive!
Anhedonia/Social anxiety
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesix88 View Post
Ofcourse, anything that reduces anxiety relaxes muscles ;P . Clonazepam is great for anxiety, little sedation and great anti anxiety results. Valium is indeed very sedating.
I do not find valium to be at all sedating. It is classified as a muscle relaxant where as Clonazepam is not. While I'm sure for most people Clonazepam will act as a muscle relaxant, Diazepam works much better as a muscle relaxant. Diazepam is indicated as a muscle relaxant whereas Clonazepam isn't.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:39 PM
SAS Member

Temazepam was prescribed to me because of sleeping issues because of my back. It's a hypnotic benzo marketed for sleep so yeah it's very sedating. I've only tried diazepam a couple times and I found it no better than temazepam at relaxing my muscles and not nearly as sedating.

Dosages: 10mg diazepam and 30mg temazepam.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
Temazepam was prescribed to me because of sleeping issues because of my back. It's a hypnotic benzo marketed for sleep so yeah it's very sedating. I've only tried diazepam a couple times and I found it no better than temazepam at relaxing my muscles and not nearly as sedating.

Dosages: 10mg diazepam and 30mg temazepam.
unless you have hypertonic muscles, like your back issue, it is very difficult to tell that a muscle relaxant is doing anything. Unless the tone (tension) of some muscle is so great as to be causing discomfort muscle relaxing effects are often subjectively difficult to detect. You'll feel a little more "relaxed" but that's it. Wait until you have a slipped disk in your spine and 20 different muscles going very hypertonic trying to stabilize the area will you realize what a muscle relaxant can do. The injury still sucks though.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 07:25 PM
avui, no demà

Quote:
Originally Posted by istayhome View Post
I do not find valium to be at all sedating. It is classified as a muscle relaxant where as Clonazepam is not. While I'm sure for most people Clonazepam will act as a muscle relaxant, Diazepam works much better as a muscle relaxant. Diazepam is indicated as a muscle relaxant whereas Clonazepam isn't.
clonazepam both possesses muscle relaxant properties and is approved by the fda and indicated for the treatment of spasticity-related disorders, particularly those along the epileptic-spectrum. a number of other benzodiazepines are also classified as anticonvulsants with muscle relaxant properties.

'i'm in love with your brother / what's his name?' - karin dreijer andersson, olof dreijer
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 05:40 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneQuietGuy View Post
^Uh....no. SSRI's make it even worse.

Yeah, benzos do help a little bit in that area.
Definitely not unless you have some kind of paradoxical reaction. (mania?)
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 05:49 AM
~ in the ether ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
Temazepam and diazepam both work very well at relaxing muscles but being a benzo you need to weigh the pros vs cons. Have you tried muscle relaxers such as flexeril? I found it almost worthless but doctors seem to throw them at you.

Classic example of ppl responding to meds differently. I love flexiril. I get a script for 30 10mgs every month. They help so much. I no longer get tired from taking them unless I'm already exhausted.
I get best results taking one at bedtime, muscles that gave me issues all day sometimes loosen up well overnight.

To the OP, yes, I found valium to be good for relaxing muscles. Have actually been given it for that purpose before, from an ER doc.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 01:09 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Definitely not unless you have some kind of paradoxical reaction. (mania?)
My anxiety levels were elevated the entire time I was on Zoloft and it make me very edgy and mean to people. Now that I am off of it I feel a lot better.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 01:22 PM
SAS Member

Yes Valium is prescribed for lower back pain because of it's muscle relaxing properties.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneQuietGuy View Post
My anxiety levels were elevated the entire time I was on Zoloft and it make me very edgy and mean to people. Now that I am off of it I feel a lot better.
Sounds like (hypo)mania.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 01:16 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Sounds like (hypo)mania.
It lasted the entire 7 weeks that I was on it.

My doctor wanted to up my dose from 50 to 100mg but it just got worse, my anxiety went through the roof and I was sweating constantly to the point where I ruined a bunch of my shirts because they got soaked. I have been off of Zoloft for about a week now, but the sweating hasn't stopped.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page