X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 10-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question Buspar medication very low dose

Hello everyone!
I have finally seen a psychiatrist, been diagnosed with social anxiety. I deal well with daily life, but cerrtain situations trigger my anxiety. I've been prescribed Buspar 5 mg dose, only to take it before that certain situation.

As per my own internet research 5 mg is a very low dose. And usually people take it daily. I haven't tried it yet.
Has anyone been prescribed Buspar like me? (meaning not taking it daily)
Has it work? All I need from a drug is to calm me down in certain situations.

Any input is welcome
THank you
TATA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Buspirone seems to have a very low succes rate, and it also shouldnt have effect the first time you take it so it seems very strange that you got it prescribed that way...

Usually they give you benzo's for as needed and buspirone or an SSRI for daily use.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzyMed View Post
Buspirone seems to have a very low succes rate, and it also shouldnt have effect the first time you take it so it seems very strange that you got it prescribed that way...

Usually they give you benzo's for as needed and buspirone or an SSRI for daily use.
My doctor told me to try taking it at home first to see how I would react to it, so I wouldn't fall asleep where I am not suppose to. Also, she told me it's a bit stronger than Valerian Root (herbal pills).

I'm planning to take it today.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oh and another question, how long before that certain situation I should take the pill? forgot to ask my dr.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATA View Post
Hello everyone!
I have finally seen a psychiatrist, been diagnosed with social anxiety. I deal well with daily life, but cerrtain situations trigger my anxiety. I've been prescribed Buspar 5 mg dose, only to take it before that certain situation.

As per my own internet research 5 mg is a very low dose. And usually people take it daily. I haven't tried it yet.
Has anyone been prescribed Buspar like me? (meaning not taking it daily)
Has it work? All I need from a drug is to calm me down in certain situations.

Any input is welcome
THank you
Buspar can't be taken as needed like benzos or beta blockers and 5mg is a homeopathic dose. If you have mainly physical symptoms of anxiety then the unselective beta blocker Inderal can work very well. If it's more "in your head" benzodiazepines like eg. Xanax, Ativan... taken as needed before certain stressful situations are a good choice.

Buspar must be taken daily (at therapeutic doses) and it takes some time (weeks) before an anxiolytic effect is seen. It is not approved for social phobia, has never shown to be effective for SA in a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled trial and most people on SAS say it didn't help them.
Disclaimer: The user "Medline" is not a medical professional and does not provide medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is based on his own research and/or personal experiences and should not be considered professional medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is intended to be for informational purposes only. "Medline" assumes no liability and/or responsibility for the actions of individuals using any information provided.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medline View Post
Buspar can't be taken as needed like benzos or beta blockers and 5mg is a homeopathic dose. If you have mainly physical symptoms of anxiety then the unselective beta blocker Inderal can work very well. If it's more "in your head" benzodiazepines like eg. Xanax, Ativan... taken as needed before certain stressful situations are a good choice.

Buspar must be taken daily (at therapeutic doses) and it takes some time (weeks) before an anxiolytic effect is seen. It is not approved for social phobia, has never shown to be effective for SA in a randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled trial and most people on SAS say it didn't help them.
Thank you for your reply . We decided with my doctor that beta blocker wouldn't be good for me as I have a low blood pressure and family history of heart problems.
I'm more about physical symptoms, but can't deny that have some "in my head" issues, but physical symptoms do bother me more now.
I guess the next step if this medication won't work will be xanax.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

When the Xanax significantly reduces the anxiety "in your head" you will also have less physical symptoms of anxiety.
Disclaimer: The user "Medline" is not a medical professional and does not provide medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is based on his own research and/or personal experiences and should not be considered professional medical advice. All information provided by "Medline" is intended to be for informational purposes only. "Medline" assumes no liability and/or responsibility for the actions of individuals using any information provided.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank you for your reply . We decided with my doctor that beta blocker wouldn't be good for me as I have a low blood pressure and family history of heart problems.
I'm more about physical symptoms, but can't deny that have some "in my head" issues, but physical symptoms do bother me more now.
I guess the next step if this medication won't work will be xanax.
Keep us updated on how its going. Also, don't be afraid to call your doc and see if you can raise the amount you take if you aren't feeling much of an effect. Based on my experience with buspar and reading others', the dosages usually prescribed are usually too low and relates to why many feel don't feel much, if any, effect from it.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtG85 View Post
Keep us updated on how its going. Also, don't be afraid to call your doc and see if you can raise the amount you take if you aren't feeling much of an effect. Based on my experience with buspar and reading others', the dosages usually prescribed are usually too low and relates to why many feel don't feel much, if any, effect from it.
I have taken Buspar on Tuesday to see how it will effect me in normal situations. I did get a headache and a slight feeling of being stock in fish ball.
Than I've taken one on Wednesday before my speech class, again got a bit of a headache and that weird feeling of a "fish ball". Unfortunately I did not get to do the speech that day, but I felt calmer and didn't get weird feeling inside that I usually get when professor asks me questions. So I don't know what to relate it to, the pill or the fact that I got used to professor's questions in the beginning of the class, or the fact that I knew that I would'nt have time to give my speech.

I guess I'm gonna have tto wait till next wednesday.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have to take it 3 times a day,it seems to take the edge off alittle but,not much.I'm also, suppost to take it for anxiety attacks;it really doesn't help much for that.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Let me preface this post by saying I have taken Klonopin, Buspar, and beta blockers.

Quote:
When the Xanax significantly reduces the anxiety "in your head" you will also have less physical symptoms of anxiety.
I definitely agree with this. For public speaking situations when I take only a benzo (as opposed to a benzo and beta blocker), I get the initially racing heart in the beginning, but my mind eventually calms me down. Benzo + beta blocker is just freakin amazing though. Just if I could feel like that on a regular basis. Adderall, benzo, and atenolol is incredible (for when you have something very important to make a speech on).

Quote:

I've taken Buspar about 3 times over the past few weeks, and I was actually very pleased with the results. I felt very calm, and I could speak up during class (which I usually never have the balls to do). So many people say the drug is ineffective, but the 10mg tabs I took I could definitely notice a calming effect.
stealthology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthology View Post
Let me preface this post by saying I have taken Klonopin, Buspar, and beta blockers.

I definitely agree with this. For public speaking situations when I take only a benzo (as opposed to a benzo and beta blocker), I get the initially racing heart in the beginning, but my mind eventually calms me down. Benzo + beta blocker is just freakin amazing though. Just if I could feel like that on a regular basis. Adderall, benzo, and atenolol is incredible (for when you have something very important to make a speech on).

I've taken Buspar about 3 times over the past few weeks, and I was actually very pleased with the results. I felt very calm, and I could speak up during class (which I usually never have the balls to do). So many people say the drug is ineffective, but the 10mg tabs I took I could definitely notice a calming effect.
Thank u for sharing Do you get headaches when taking Buspar?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

So, like most I'm through with Buspar. I took it about five times on different occasions, don't think it did anything for my anxiety. But every time I took it, it gave me headaches, standable at first, but would progress to bad headaches that wouldn't go away till next morning.
So, my doctor gave me new medication (to take it for certain occasions, not daily), Clonazepam (Klonopin), haven't tried it yet. Is anyone taking it? What are the side effects you experience? Does it help you?
Old 11-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
So, like most I'm through with Buspar. I took it about five times on different occasions, don't think it did anything for my anxiety. But every time I took it, it gave me headaches, standable at first, but would progress to bad headaches that wouldn't go away till next morning.
So, my doctor gave me new medication (to take it for certain occasions, not daily), Clonazepam (Klonopin), haven't tried it yet. Is anyone taking it? What are the side effects you experience? Does it help you?
Anyone? KLONOPIN?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Is anyone taking it? Sometimes
What are the side effects you experience? None, although you may experience drowsiness.
Does it help you? Sometimes
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
Is anyone taking it? Sometimes
What are the side effects you experience? None, although you may experience drowsiness.
Does it help you? Sometimes
THank you for your response Does it take the edge off? and does it make you feel high? (something I really don't want happening)
Old 11-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah it does take the edge off, and no it doesn't make me feel high nor euphoric, it can make some people somewhat drowsy though.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

I was thinking pindolol could be used to speed up response to buspar as 5HT1A autoreceptors antagonism should downregulate those receptors, thus still getting the benefits after stopping the pindolol.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll714 View Post
Are you high?? lol.

Okay well.. first off, antagonism doesn't downregulate receptors (typically, some exceptions like with 5-HT2). Second.. combing an agonist and an antagonist together is just going to directly cancel their effects, autoreceptors or not.

Other stuff.. pindolol is actually a very weak partial agonist with like 20% intrinsic activity. In comparison, buspirone has like 35% intrinsic activity. At least according to some random studies I was looking at for both.

But yeah, I don't really recommend either.
Apperantly in combination with a SSRI's 5HT1A antagonism does downregulate those receptors, so chances are this also happends when taking pindolol on its own.

Pindolol is a selective 5HT1A autoreceptor antagonist and doesnt act on the "normal receptors" so its only cancelling the bad effects caused by 5HT1A autoreceptor agonism).

Pindolol has been proven to accelerate respons to buspar and SSRI's, so its potent enough to do its job. So its proven not to cancel any effect out, quite the opposite.

And no i'm not high

-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:29 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknroll714 View Post
Trust me, pindolol is not selective for autoreceptors. It works on postsynaptic receptors as well. Several studies have called it 'autoreceptor-selective', but this is wholly inaccurate and its selectivity is merely a matter of dose (ligands are always typically something like 10x stronger on somatodendritic autoreceptors than on terminal receptors; hence, how the misleading term originated). As an example, it was used in combination with MDMA in some study to elucidate the role of the 5-HT1A [postsynaptic] receptor in MDMA's effects (a very poor choice if you ask me based on its weak partial agonism and lack of selectivity.. the results weren't very good either). And if anything the reason pindolol downregulates 5-HT1A autoreceptors is because of its weak intrinsic activity (by the way, source please?).
How to you explain the augmentation of buspar and SSRI's caused by pindolol then?
Quote:
Selective activation of postsynaptic 5-HT1A
receptors induces rapid antidepressant response
by
Blier P; Bergeron R; de Montigny C
Neurobiological Psychiatry Unit,
McGill University, MontrĈeal, Canada.
Neuropsychopharmacology, 1997 May, 16:5, 333-8

ABSTRACT

It has been reported that the 5-HT1A autoreceptor antagonist pindolol can accelerate the antidepressant response to the selective serotonin (5-HT) reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) paroxetine, presumably by preventing the initial decrease in firing activity of 5-HT neurons produced by the SSRI. The present study was aimed at further exploring this treatment strategy in three groups of 10 patients with unipolar major depression allocated sequentially to three treatment arms for 28 days. The administration of the selective 5-HT1A agonist buspirone (20 mg/day for 1 week and 30 mg/day thereafter) with pindolol (2.5 mg TID) was used to activate selectively postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptors. This combination produced a greater than 50% reduction of depressive symptoms in the first week in 8 of 10 patients and the response was sustained for the remainder of the trial. In contrast, the combination of tricyclic antidepressant drugs devoid of effect on the 5-HT reuptake process (desipramine or trimipramine, 75 mg/day for 1 week and 150 mg/day thereafter) with pindolol resulted in only one of ten patients achieving a 50% improvement after 28 days. The combination of the SSRI fluvoxamine (50 mg/day for 1 week and 100 mg/day thereafter) with pindolol produced a marked antidepressant effect but did not act as rapidly as the buspirone plus pindolol combination with none, four, and eight patients achieving a 50% amelioration after 7, 14, and 21 days of treatment, respectively. These results provide further evidence that pindolol may accelerate the antidepressant effect of drugs that alter the function of the 5-HT neurons and that the selective activation of postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptors may induce a rapid and robust antidepressant response.
Quote:
Effects of sustained (+/-)pindolol administration
on serotonin neurotransmission in rats
by
Haddjeri N, Blier P
Centre de recherche en sciences neurologiques,
Universite de Montreal, Que.
J Psychiatry Neurosci 2000 Sep; 25(4):378-88

ABSTRACT

OBJECTIVE: Given reports that (+/-)pindolol, a beta-adrenergic-5-HT1A/1B receptor antagonist, accelerates the onset of the therapeutic effect of certain antidepressant drugs in major depression, the aim of this study was to assess the effect of sustained (+/-)pindolol administration on the sensitivity of pre- and postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptors, terminal 5-HT1B autoreceptors and on overall 5-HT neurotransmission. DESIGN: Prospective animal study. ANIMALS: Sprague-Dawley rats. OUTCOME MEASURES: Modifications of the sensitivity of somatodendritic and postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptors using in vivo electrophysiological paradigms in animals treated with vehicle or (+/-)pindolol (20 mg/kg/day, subcutaneously) through osmotic minipumps for 2 weeks. RESULTS: (+/-)Pindolol attenuated the suppressant effect of the 5-HT autoreceptor agonist lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) on the firing activity of 5-HT neurons, suggesting that (+/-)pindolol antagonized somatodendritic 5-HT1A autoreceptors in the dorsal raphe nucleus. However, following a 2-day washout period, the suppressant effect of LSD was still attenuated, indicating rather a desensitization of 5-HT1A autoreceptors had occurred. In the CA3 region of the dorsal hippocampus, (+/-)pindolol treatment did not modify the responsiveness of postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptors to microiontophoretic applications of 5-HT. Moreover, such a treatment modified neither the effectiveness of the electrical stimulation of 5-HT fibers nor the function of terminal 5-HT autoreceptors. Finally, the administration of the selective 5-HT1A receptor antagonist WAY 100635 (100 micrograms/kg, intravenously) did not increase the firing activity of dorsal hippocampus CA3 pyramidal neurons in rats treated with (+/-)pindolol, thus failing to reveal the enhanced tonic activation of postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptors associated with major classes of antidepressant treatments. CONCLUSION: Prolonged administration of (+/-)pindolol by itself is not sufficient to enhance overall 5-HT neurotransmission; pindolol should therefore not be endowed with intrinsic antidepressant activity. Although pindolol is capable of antagonizing the 5-HT1A autoreceptor upon the initiation of a 5-HT reuptake-blocker treatment, it also induces a desensitization of this 5-HT1A autoreceptor, which could explain why patients do not relapse upon its discontinuation when they continue taking a 5-HT reuptake blocker.

-Lenin

Loving my girl.