Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Buspar???

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  metamorphosis 
#1 ·
My doctor just gave me a script for Buspar......
anyone else on it?? Does it help?? and what sideeffects are there?
Thank you for your answers and advice :D

#2 ·
I've been on it, it has very few side effects (if any) in most people. The most common are "brain zaps" which isn't as serious as it sounds..just weird little "pulses" that gradually go away. Some people claim it makes them dizzy or light-headed too but I never experienced that personally.

The thing about Buspar is, for most people it takes a while to work, a few weeks to build up so you have to be patient. It's a subtle drug, it's not like being on a benzo you won't feel sedated or any physical effects, but anxiety should become less of a problem once the drug takes effect.

#3 ·
I took Buspar generic for 4 and a half weeks. 10 Mg twice a day. The first three days it made me feel like i was a new man!! My anxiety diminished by 70/ 80 % ..i felt more confident , the world seemed under control and i felt i could handle it. After those three days it just stopped working. I had the following side effects though

1- Dizziness
2- nausea
3- Constipation
4- Clogged nose

Diziness and nauseadecreased with time.. constipation and clogged nose continued till i stopped. I stopped after the doctor told me i could do that.

He gave me Celexa :S i have been on it for a week now 10 mg a day .. seems like a sugar pill so far.

I wanted him to give me wellbutrin .. uhhhh.... i shoulödnt rant!!

#6 ·
Me too! When I first started I thought i had found my miracle cure. I was so happy I wanted to cry, finally i could be normal! Then after 4-5 days my anxiety came right back and was even worse because I felt dizzy all the time. I would give anything to feel how I did those first few days for the rest of my life :(

#4 ·
I was on buspar for 9 months. 30 mg. a day, and it had no side effects at all. It also did absolutly nothing for anxiety or anything else. It was like I wasn't taking anything at all.

#5 ·
I've been on it for a couple months. I suppose its better than nothing, but not by much. I only continue to take it because I'm out of my other meds and I'm hoping it atleast has a placebo affect on me. Just knowing I'm taking something, will hopefully calm my mind down a little bit.

#10 ·
Buspar has the bad reputation of being a sugar pill. There are a few reasons for this false belief. Buspar is a 5-HT1a partial agonist. This action is what gives it anxiolytic effects. It is useful for generalized anxiety disorder but usually not for social anxiety disorder.

A few reasons people call it a sugar pill is: That it takes a long time to get to full effectiveness in the brain. Usually it is around two months and it is a very subtle medication. Alot of people don't have the patience and stop taking it before its effects kick in. Where as benzos. effect the brain with in 45minutes and people can feel the desired effect immediately. Also, initially their was an issue with how much to take a day. A common daily dose is 30-40 mgs ,2- 3x a day. High dose is 60mgs a day. It can be used in conjunction with benzodiazepines and is a good adjunct to an antidepressant.

I take it for my GAD and have found it to be effective. I have been taking it regularly for 3 months.

#11 ·
Buspar has the bad reputation of being a sugar pill. There are a few reasons for this false belief. Buspar is a 5-HT1a partial agonist. This action is what gives it anxiolytic effects. It is useful for generalized anxiety disorder but usually not for social anxiety disorder.

A few reasons people call it a sugar pill is: That it takes a long time to get to full effectiveness in the brain. Usually it is around two months and it is a very subtle medication. Alot of people don't have the patience and stop taking it before its effects kick in. Where as benzos. effect the brain with in 45minutes and people can feel the desired effect immediately. Also, initially their was an issue with how much to take a day. A common daily dose is 30-40 mgs ,2- 3x a day. High dose is 60mgs a day. It can be used in conjunction with benzodiazepines and is a good adjunct to an antidepressant.

I take it for my GAD and have found it to be effective. I have been taking it regularly for 3 months.
in my case.. i felt the action instantly but pooped out after 3 days. I have used it for almost a month. As far as my reading goes.. this should be enough an interval to see it's effects. what actually made me stop is the clogged nose that i got. I couldnt breathe at all nearly from my nose and i didn't have a cold!! But every one is different.

#12 ·
Buspar is as effective as benzo's in GAD, however its pretty much useless when used for another disorder except when combined with a srri (in theory).

#13 ·
Yeah, everyone has a different physiological makeup. I didn't have any noticeable side effects.
Here is a link that lists common side effects. But the more interesting and important part is the side effects for professionals. It includes double blind studies.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/buspar-side-effects.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.