Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree5 Liked Posts

Old 05-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brain damage in SSRI's

Can SSRIs cause longterm brain damage?
i just read 2 articles indicating that there has not been enough research on SSRI's and that the FDA did not sufficiently blah blah blah for PRozac..

I started taking prozac yesterday..
I'm afraid that Prozac will give me long term damage for my central nervous system or the "development of my linings".

I just turned 16 and i dont want my body to be messed up in the future because of Prozac
nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Oh, boy. Someone should find this out for sure soon. Now I'm concerned...
Yikes

They did not know it was impossible, so they did it.
~Mark Twain
Little Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure they don't, in fact, they probably prevent a lot of neurotoxicity from depression.
euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Untreated chronic depression can cause brain damage.

Edit: Damn... Euphoria was faster.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwalker View Post
I just turned 16 and i dont want my body to be messed up in the future because of Prozac
Prozac has been on the market since 1988, so it's been around longer than you. I very much doubt that it has any serious long-term effects that have not yet become apparent in the first 21 years of extensive use.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

yeah I was reading about the brain damage from untreated depression and even saw some pics of brain scans. It was pretty scary. Especially since I've personally been keep my depression untreated for a few years, it was freaky for me. If you have depression, treat that crap man!

If it's very mild though and controllable by natural supplements and means then I would be one to say maybe just don't bother going this route.

I started my first SSRI when I was about 15/16 too.
beaches09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Go tell it to Tom Cruse LOL

I herd that most of the kids who did those school shootings were on or coming off SSRI's, I wonder if the meds had anything to do with it???
BradPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Go tell it to Tom Cruse LOL
Tom one's told me SSRIs could make heads explode, and David Miscavige could prove it, but he was pretty drunk back then.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
kev

Hard to say. If you compare SSRI's with all the other drugs people take (nicotine, alcohol, marijuana, and all the hard drugs), SSRI's seem kind of wimpy in comparison. Who knows though. I would do some research on that yourself if you are worried about it.

The biggest danger of SSRI's is when you first start taking them. Suicidal ideation, violent thoughts, and agitation are rare but very serious side effects.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Hard to say. If you compare SSRI's with all the other drugs people take (nicotine, alcohol, marijuana, and all the hard drugs), SSRI's seem kind of wimpy in comparison.
SSRIs' ability to be counterproductive to depression and anxiety probably matches nicotine and alcohol. Then again, this only lasts a few weeks, instead of the long death you're practically guaranteed from heavily abusing the others.

As for marijuana, it's less dangerous than water. No one has ever died from cannabis overdose (or long-term use), but tons of people have drowned or "water overdosed". I suppose the public are willing to ban "dihydrogen monoxide" though, so nothing is safe from idiots.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
Hard to say. If you compare SSRI's with all the other drugs people take (nicotine, alcohol, marijuana, and all the hard drugs), SSRI's seem kind of wimpy in comparison. Who knows though. I would do some research on that yourself if you are worried about it.

The biggest danger of SSRI's is when you first start taking them. Suicidal ideation, violent thoughts, and agitation are rare but very serious side effects.
I will tell you SSRI's were my gateway drug. Before I ever started any type of SSRI I was always against all drugs. While I wasn't some goodie goodie by any means, when would my friends would do them I didn't care, but when they offered me I was like hell no.

After I started taking zoloft that became a whole different story. Everything seemed ok and grand. I started smokin weed, then after that I was offered coke I was like yeah sure why not, then acid, yeah sure why not, and the list kept going. When X came into the picture I actually sought it out from my friends. And they were smart and said dude no you shouldn't do this. But of course I did. Although I have no regrets at all. Just saying for the record since you just turned 16 man and are obviously worried about some stuff.
beaches09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

><
Old 05-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
dax

I have never heard of an SSRI causing brain damage, I think you're in the clear there. But taking any drug at your age could interfere with your body in other ways and it's probably better not to take anything unless absolutely necessary until you've completely grown, probaly around age 18 or 19 for a girl. I have read that Prozac can stunt growth in young children but I don't know what it can do in teens. You might want to ask your doctor what the risks are, if there are any.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria View Post
SSRIs' ability to be counterproductive to depression and anxiety probably matches nicotine and alcohol. Then again, this only lasts a few weeks, instead of the long death you're practically guaranteed from heavily abusing the others.

As for marijuana, it's less dangerous than water. No one has ever died from cannabis overdose (or long-term use), but tons of people have drowned or "water overdosed". I suppose the public are willing to ban "dihydrogen monoxide" though, so nothing is safe from idiots.
I don't think cannabis is as armless as people think ...
Marijuana (Cannabis) Use Triples Schizophrenia Risk
BBC News reports that Award-winning researchers have claimed that smoking cannabis triples the risk of getting schizophrenia.
http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/...es/002650.html
BradPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPit View Post
I don't think cannabis is as armless as people think ...
Marijuana (Cannabis) Use Triples Schizophrenia Risk
BBC News reports that Award-winning researchers have claimed that smoking cannabis triples the risk of getting schizophrenia.
http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/...es/002650.html
Those studies have no business publishing conclusions like "cannabis use triples schizophrenia risk", and the newspapers are even more retarded. Correlation is NOT causation. Did you know that according to some studies, 88% of schizophrenics smoke cigarettes, and most of them heavily? You could draw a MUCH stronger correlation between cigarettes and psychosis, but of course we see ****ing stupid anti-cannabis propaganda instead.

Even if it did triple the risk, do you know how much of the population it affects normally? 0.5%. 1.5% is still very unlikely, and certainly not even close to justifying banning cannabis.

I'll reaffirm what I said earlier: if you have odd beliefs, superstition (including hyper-religiousity), paranoia or any other classic signs of early psychosis, don't take dopamine-stimulating drugs!

I'll be pleased when drugs like kynurenine—oxoglutarate transaminase inhibitors are developed and we can consign schizophrenia to the history books.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

So most likely, Prozac won't stunt my growth, or make my brain grow improperly?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria View Post

I'll reaffirm what I said earlier: if you have odd beliefs, superstition (including hyper-religiousity), paranoia or any other classic signs of early psychosis, don't take dopamine-stimulating drugs!
Interesting. According to my previous psychiatrist - I have paranoia and a mild degree of psychosis - and she put me on Wellbutrin. I had another psychiatrist attempt to put me on Wellbutrin - although from the beginning of my time with her, she was fixated on my "paranoia" and "schizoid" affective disorder.

Should they be sued for malpractice? (I'm not being sarcastic.)

--What a "close friend" of Bill Belichick's said to Sports Illustrated in January 2000, referring to Belichick's first head-coaching job with the Cleveland Browns (which was marred by various troubles).
kintrovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Did she prescribe other drugs? What symptoms do you have? Is the diagnosis "schizoid personality disorder" or "schizoaffective disorder"? Are you just afraid that people reject you or that they could follow and/or hurt you? In case of real paranoia/psychosis Wellbutrin would make all things worse (as it increases dopamine) and Neuroleptics would help (they antagonize dopamine).
Old 05-20-2009, 01:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintrovert View Post
Interesting. According to my previous psychiatrist - I have paranoia and a mild degree of psychosis - and she put me on Wellbutrin. I had another psychiatrist attempt to put me on Wellbutrin - although from the beginning of my time with her, she was fixated on my "paranoia" and "schizoid" affective disorder.

Should they be sued for malpractice? (I'm not being sarcastic.)
As Medline said, it depends what you mean by that. "Schizoid personality disorder" is actually helped by more dopamine as it involves no psychosis, but schizotypal, schizoaffective, etc.; those do involve psychosis and should NEVER be treated with dopaminergic drugs like Wellbutrin, as this will MASSIVELY increase psychotic symptoms. Same goes for drugs like nicotine and THC (in cannabis).

I think the whole culture of suing everyone in America is stupid; you should just report her to her superiors. Suing without being harmed mentally/physically is pure greed.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwalker View Post
So most likely, Prozac won't stunt my growth, or make my brain grow improperly?
lol, no one really answered your question. But then again it is kind of hard to answer this question because prozac has only been around for 21 years or something like that. So its hard to tell what long long term effects it will have. However, I can tell you that I have known kids who have taking AD's since they were in elementary school. I haven't noticed any growth stunting or anything like that. I say if it makes you feel better, then take it, but that's just me.
n1kkuh is offline   Reply With Quote