Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree1 Liked Posts
  • 1 Post By Spungo

Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best medication for social anxiety?

I have social anxiety with paranoia which can be extreme at times. I don't have much experience with medication. The only drug I've been on in the past was risperidone, which didn't seem to make any difference. What's the best medication in your opinion? Do the benefits outweigh the side effects?
gman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Every body has a different case.. and everybody reacts differently to medication . You have to go to a psychiatrist and start a journey of trial and error till you find what makes you happy. Most medicines will have side effects and it is about compromise and what you are willing to take.

For me .. i have not yet found the medicine that will give me that compromise.. but i want to try Nardil . Because i have heard that it helps with self esteem as well. I am more of an Avoidant personality than i am a social phobic. although both intersect .

I know i didn't give you a definite answer.. but there isn't one . Each person is different and the people who found the drug of their life have left the forum . So start your journey and good luck .
meedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Everybody is different. I asked my doctor for Nardil (phenelzine) because it had a 5/5 rating on this forum. Man, this forum was accurate. It absolutely crushes social anxiety.
meedo likes this.
Spungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungo View Post
Everybody is different. I asked my doctor for Nardil (phenelzine) because it had a 5/5 rating on this forum. Man, this forum was accurate. It absolutely crushes social anxiety.
spungo.

i am reallly curious.. why are you here while you should be out there and enjoying yr life.. i mean .. shouldn't Nardil have eleminated all the issues for you ?!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Does Nardil cause weight loss?
GotAnxiety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

It varies depending on who you ask, but indeed - by far most people will tell you Nardil.

**** Nardil. I'm bitter at it and always will be. That said, I'd definitely recommend going with it. It's SA kick *** for quite a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotAnxiety View Post
Does Nardil cause weight loss?
Many people report weight gain on Nardil
Old 01-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Depends on the brain, but Quetiapine (generic Teva) is great, and free of charge in my country!!! Other brands are too expensive... Antidepressants may help you with being more at ease in social situations, but for me, it triggers anxiety and manic episodes...
misanbipol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

I recommend looking into a benzodiazepine, which usually relaxes the body, and/or a beta blocker, which blocks out adrenaline. Best of luck to you!
hellinnorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman89 View Post
I have social anxiety with paranoia which can be extreme at times. I don't have much experience with medication. The only drug I've been on in the past was risperidone, which didn't seem to make any difference. What's the best medication in your opinion? Do the benefits outweigh the side effects?
He gave you an anti psychotic to make you MORE social? Are you sure he is a real doctor? Was this in a clinic or was he some dude at the bus terminal claiming to be a doctor?

I'm not a doctor either, so I give my patients cocaine to treat their testicular cancer.

Quote:
i am reallly curious.. why are you here while you should be out there and enjoying yr life.. i mean .. shouldn't Nardil have eleminated all the issues for you ?!
See my other post about people being loners. Now that I'm wanting to do stuff, I find that the people who don't have social anxiety are loners too.
"Nah, I'm just gonna smoke a bowl, play some games, then pass out" (at 5pm on a saturday)
I know they're not just ditching me because I've known these people for years and that's exactly what they do. It's surprisingly hard to find people who are not loners.
Spungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungo View Post

See my other post about people being loners. Now that I'm wanting to do stuff, I find that the people who don't have social anxiety are loners too.
"Nah, I'm just gonna smoke a bowl, play some games, then pass out" (at 5pm on a saturday)
I know they're not just ditching me because I've known these people for years and that's exactly what they do. It's surprisingly hard to find people who are not loners.
wow man ...nice insight... btw could you please look at my thread in regards Nardil and excercising and tel me what you think?