X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Benzo + beta blockers?

What would happen if you took a benzo and a beta blocker at the same time? To me it would make sense that all your anxiety would disapear as the beta blocker tackles the physical aspect and the benzo tackles the psychological aspect.
n1kkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you kill the psychological aspects of anxiety with a potent Benzodiazepine then there is no physical aspect anymore. But in general it's possible to combine eg. Propranolol with Klonopin, no problem.
Medline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Combining a beta blocker with a benzo has been successful for me in the past - well, it has increased the control I have over my anxiety, but beta blockers tend to mess with asthmatics at doses high enough to make the heart stop beating so fast, which is a downside. Beta blockers also tend to give really bad cotton mouth, but that's more easily dealt with.

Things I have tried:
Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, Paxil, Effexor XR, Remeron, Wellbutrin SR, Eskalith CR, Topamax, Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Ambien, Restoril, Desyrel, Ritalin, Adderall, Dexedrine, Inderal, Lopressor, Thorazine, Lamictal, Abilify, Depakote, Geodon, Seroquel, doxepin, chloral hydrate
korey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

This is precisely what I do. Propanolol + klonopin.

"The earth we abuse and the living things we kill will, in the end, take their revenge; for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future." -Marya Mannes

"Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities." -Voltaire
Lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Is there tolerance buildup in beta blockers?
styler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1kkuh View Post
What would happen if you took a benzo and a beta blocker at the same time? To me it would make sense that all your anxiety would disapear as the beta blocker tackles the physical aspect and the benzo tackles the psychological aspect.
No medication really tackles that (from what I know). Unless it's one of those meds-you'll-never-get.

They all just treat different symptoms. I'm prescribed 1-2mg of klonopin daily (I never take it unless it's completely necessary. Tolerance builds up quickly). I'm also taking the beta-blocker propranolol twice a day.

My anxiety has far from disappeared. I may be on a low dose of proproanolol though, I just don't want to be on -more- of anything to be honest. I say that, but if I could take high doses of klonopin every single day and not build up a tolerance or expereince withdrawal? Sign me up. The fast & easy way out is always the most popular. I'm ranting. Ignore it.
IllusionOfHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstylish View Post
I dont think so.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionOfHappiness View Post
No medication really tackles that (from what I know). Unless it's one of those meds-you'll-never-get.

They all just treat different symptoms. I'm prescribed 1-2mg of klonopin daily (I never take it unless it's completely necessary. Tolerance builds up quickly). I'm also taking the beta-blocker propranolol twice a day.

My anxiety has far from disappeared. I may be on a low dose of proproanolol though, I just don't want to be on -more- of anything to be honest. I say that, but if I could take high doses of klonopin every single day and not build up a tolerance or expereince withdrawal? Sign me up. The fast & easy way out is always the most popular. I'm ranting. Ignore it.
No I fully agree with you, I don't intend for medication to be a cure by any means at all. I just find that its a very nice relief to take medication, an anxiety free life and a emotionally painless life would be a dull life indeed. It definitely takes hard work to get better, but medication is a good way to FEEL better, not get better. I was just curious what happens when you take the two that's all, I personally got prescribed propranolol a few days ago, but I don't intend on taking it every day or for the rest of my life, I just like having it for some relief.
n1kkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

^ Okay

Yeah. I just go way off track and miss the point of the original post once I start typing. It's an incurable disease.

The two meds should work fine together.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

I use 1mg klonopin & 20-30mg of Inderal before presentations or other major anxiety-provoking events and it works great!
SBP21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

I use 40mg of Inderal (propranalol) along with 2 mg of Klonopin as needed for making speeches and teaching SS class. The only downside is that I do not remember being in these situations. My wife will tell me how well I did and my new reply is "I wish I could have been there!" Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

I take 0.5 of xanax and 1 half tab of atenolol before I have to socialize and it has worked the best for me. If i'm in a situation for a few hours, i'll take another half of 0.5 xanax every two hours and that sustains a low anxiety level.

and yes I do forget a lot of what I say in these situations after the fact, (lol) but I know that i'm relaxed at least!
justpassinby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

I took 3mg of klonopin for an interview this morning and yeah...memories of the event are a bit fuzzy haha.

Sticky notes are your friend.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

I definitely relate to the whole memory thing. I took Klonopin daily for about a year, and that year is a complete blur! There are some things I don't mind forgetting, though!
SBP21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
X33

Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent1 View Post
I use 40mg of Inderal (propranalol) along with 2 mg of Klonopin as needed for making speeches and teaching SS class. The only downside is that I do not remember being in these situations. My wife will tell me how well I did and my new reply is "I wish I could have been there!" Anyone else have this problem?
I did to a lesser degree when I was on Xanax and Klonopin. If it is bothering you then you may want to consider reducing the dose or trying a different benzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medline View Post
If you kill the psychological aspects of anxiety with a potent Benzodiazepine then there is no physical aspect anymore. But in general it's possible to combine eg. Propranolol with Klonopin, no problem.
I agree with this.
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akstylish View Post
Not that I'm aware of. Keep in mind that these are primarily used to treat high blood pressure, a chronic condition, so some people use beta blockers daily for decades on end.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1kkuh View Post
...all your anxiety would disapear...
I wish. 10 mg of Xanax a day and I'm still disabled by SA. And by disabled I mean deemed by my psychiatrist to be mentally incapable of performing any job that exists in the US economy -- my GP is a moron, but does agree with that view.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

Adding 10 mg Inderal to my daily dose of .25 or .5 Klonapin has helped a lot...going to ask my psychiatrist if I can do this everyday from now on. Sometimes when the Klonapin starts wearing off I get more anxious than usual, I think the beta blocker helps stop that from happening, try it out!
shy797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

it's the magic combination for me! propranolol and klonapin taken together. I take both daily in small amounts and it's really helping me.
Honeybee1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybee1980 View Post
it's the magic combination for me! propranolol and klonapin taken together. I take both daily in small amounts and it's really helping me.
How does it help you? Are you better able to talk to people?