X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Ativan/Lorazepam - 3 hours later - nothing. =(

Ok - today was the first day I've ever taken medication for my anxiety, and I was prescribed Zoloft (which I start tomorrow) and given Lorazapam for when I needed help before the Zoloft kicked in, and when things are particularly rough. Well, I took it today before I made a phone call that normally has me heavily sighing for a while before I actually push the numbers. It has been 3 hours now, and I still don't feel like making that call. I don't feel anything different, other than drowsiness, AT ALL. My Dr. made it very clear that this drug was only to be taken when necessary, that it was highly addictive, and that it should start working after about half an hour. I was expecting... well, something!

I'm so discouraged. Is it like this for anyone else? Is there anyone who took/takes it and either had no effect, or experiences a longer time before it goes into effect?
Mandy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Ativan/Lorazepam - 3 hours later - nothing. =(

Im guessing he prescribed .5 mg, half to one tablet as needed up to twice a day? Thats a small dose if so.
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh - they're 1mg and she said I could take 1 every six hours if I was having a particularly bad day, but to make the 20 last all month. I wasn't planning on taking them very often, but... seems pointless now. =(
Old 08-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, 1mg per dose isn't bad for a starter. But not everyone responds to one mg at a time.. She should have given you more... You can always ask for one refill and say they don't help alot or something.
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do you think it would be ok to take two?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Only one way to find out.
IllusionOfHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy!
Oh - they're 1mg and she said I could take 1 every six hours if I was having a particularly bad day, but to make the 20 last all month. I wasn't planning on taking them very often, but... seems pointless now. =(

thats a low dose. typical, but low none-the-less. a typical useful dose of xanax or klonopin may have you eating upwards of 8 of your ativans for a comparable result.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you think it would be ok to take two?

it would technically be "ok" to take all 20 at once.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I really think she wanted to put me on something basic and not too harmful since she won't be my regular doctor and won't be able to monitor my progress. But, she gave them to me to help me with my search for a regular psychiatrist! Hopefully the Zoloft will help.

I'll take two of these next time I need it. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
X33

If 2mg doesn't do much, I would try and get prescribed another benzo, such as Klonopin (if you need anxiety relief for a long time) or Xanax (if you need short term help). I have taken all 3 medications and there were subtle differences between the 3.
X33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just stumbled upon this ,ad I don't want to encourage this at all, but I find very little effect in them at low doses. It's gotten to the point where I just took 11 clonazapam at 1 mg, hoping to feel some sort of euphoria. THIS isn't rcommended, but I needed somthing to escape and I do have a history of drug problems, and feel I have a high tolerance for drugs, I guess I'll see how this works out and post again later, I'm also on zoloft but really thinking highly from what I hear about nardil. Even so far havn't recieved the high I was hoping to.

If anyone has felt this way and have any other solutions please reply to my post, Im afraid I will fall back into my drug rutines and alcohol, hoping not to have to.
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

what has anyone found the best benzo for sa????
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy
what has anyone found the best benzo for sa????

general consensus would say klonopin or xanax. Klonopin is usually more favored due to its long half life but that doesnt make it the best choice for everyone in every situation.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

I take 16mgs of ativan at a time(4mgs of klonopin)
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

How odd. Klonopin did nothing for me and 2mg of Ativan knocks me on my ***.
mserychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mserychic
I had the opposite happen. when i tried ativan, i barely felt anything at all. It was only with klonopin that i had a good benefit from.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:34 AM   #17 (permalink)

The Ativan didn't help with social anxiety at all, but something strange (for me) happened last night after taking it. It was about six/seven hours later, but I went to lie on my bed to relax (which, come to think of, is something I rarely do as I know it's pointless to try to relax by not doing anything to keep my mind busy, but I did it without thinking) and the next thing I knew, I was waking up this morning! I was lying on top of a made bed, not even using a pillow. I didn't even have my breeze-simulating fan on, which I could never imagine getting to sleep without. I had one instance of annoying thoughts that would usually plague me until I got up, but I cleared my head and had no problem keeping it that way long enough to fall asleep. So either it made me just that tired (which at that point I didn't really feel, and I had also just drank coffee), or it stopped my mind from racing as much. I was just as stressed as always, had just as many reasons as always to NOT SLEEP - probably even more since I was at the doctor's getting tests done earlier in the day, which is the fleeting thought that I made go away.

But as for a euphoric feeling some have mentioned, or feeling like I could do something I normally can't do: nada.

Does that sound like a common effect of Ativan? The less-than-usual racing mind and ability to fall asleep. For years I've been going to bed around 3 or 4am because I could only sleep when I was too exhausted to think.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Atvan helped a little with my panic attacks but came back when I stopped.

-------------------------------------------------------
CopadoMexicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
The Ativan didn't help with social anxiety at all, but something strange (for me) happened last night after taking it. It was about six/seven hours later, but I went to lie on my bed to relax (which, come to think of, is something I rarely do as I know it's pointless to try to relax by not doing anything to keep my mind busy, but I did it without thinking) and the next thing I knew, I was waking up this morning! I was lying on top of a made bed, not even using a pillow. I didn't even have my breeze-simulating fan on, which I could never imagine getting to sleep without. I had one instance of annoying thoughts that would usually plague me until I got up, but I cleared my head and had no problem keeping it that way long enough to fall asleep. So either it made me just that tired (which at that point I didn't really feel, and I had also just drank coffee), or it stopped my mind from racing as much. I was just as stressed as always, had just as many reasons as always to NOT SLEEP - probably even more since I was at the doctor's getting tests done earlier in the day, which is the fleeting thought that I made go away.

But as for a euphoric feeling some have mentioned, or feeling like I could do something I normally can't do: nada.

Does that sound like a common effect of Ativan? The less-than-usual racing mind and ability to fall asleep. For years I've been going to bed around 3 or 4am because I could only sleep when I was too exhausted to think.

"euphoria" really isnt a good word to describe benzo use as they are depressants. Only in excess or mixed with alcohol would you experience such effect in the first place. A better way to describe how benzos make one feel is "disinhibition" and you're on such a low dose to really even experience that part of it without adding a few shots of tequila.

Benzos will take the edge off but they arent magic by any means. Then again, neither is the zoloft you're starting...have fun and good luck with that.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutHolder
Quote:
Originally Posted by mserychic
I had the opposite happen. when i tried ativan, i barely felt anything at all. It was only with klonopin that i had a good benefit from.
Same here. I remember sitting in class thinking "okay, so, when does the relief start?"
IllusionOfHappiness is offline   Reply With Quote