Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Ativan dont work wishes the doc wud giv xanax or anything stronger for that matter..

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  T-Bone 
#1 ·
I'm taking Celexa and Ativan for my anxiety but there not really working. I've only been on the Celexa for a week so i cant really say whether its working or not since i havent been on it long enough for it to take full effect. But the Ativan isnt really working. It does bring my anxiety level down but if Im in a large social setting or if i get really worked up, like i have a bad argument with my girlfriend or for instence have some type of loss, whether it be death, or a loved on has to move far, or especially if i have to travel for work, my anxiety level shoots right back up. And i still get bad panick attacks.

I am a recovering addict (as soon as you admit that it seems like you get seconhand hand treatment), and i am fearfull that if i ask my psychiatrist to put me on something else or stronger i will just get a straight no or no meds at all. Unfortunately the stigmata that follows those words "recovering addict" you can have legitament problems and the doctors arent willing to help you like those who are non addicts.

I just want to be able to do things and go place and not have any anxiety at all. I work in the healthcare field and i know every technique in the book for trying to lower my anxiety and they just dont work. I'm not trying to just "score" like some people may think, i wouldnt jepordize my sobriety for anything. I just wish that i could find something that could not just lower it but get rid of the anxiety no matter what the situation.

I was so desperate that a friend of mine gave me one of his xanax to try to see if it would help. It was 0.5mg and it worked wonders!! But i also know that it has a bad reputation. And Im pretty sure i would get a deffinite no if i flat out asked him but i know it or something similar would do the trick. What should I do cause I dont know how to handle the situation??

See less See more
#2 ·
All benzo's have a bad reputation because they are...well, bad. I've been battling whether or not to continue taking my daily valium regimen and I came to the decision today that I will ask my psychiatrist tomorrow to taper me off for good. You have no comprehension of the psychological and physical dependence these drugs cause not to mention the adverse effects. Do some reading on withdrawal symptoms and it should scare the pants off of ya...just because you use it under the guise of therapy, the drug uses you under the realistic terms of addiction which results in incomprehensible withdrawal upon cessation. I'm getting ready for an ugly month of withdrawal that I don't know if I can handle mentally....you don't go down my path. PRN benzo's are one thing but listen to the experienced people on this forum who will tell you exactly what I just did. Good luck.

#3 ·
PRN benzo's are one thing but listen to the experienced people on this forum who will tell you exactly what I just did. Good luck.
I've taken Klonopin daily for almost a decade and It's worked great for me...I even tapered off real slowly with only very minor symptoms. My life is very different off of them vs when taking them. I can actually socialize fairly comfortably when I'm on Klonopin.

To each his own but I think the withdrawal/tolerance issues are a bit over exaggerated. Tolerance/dependence is to be expected so if you do a slow taper when withdrawing it should not be too much of an issue according to my doctors advice and my own personal experience. I think many people forget how badly they felt prior to taking benzo's and when they come off they blame that old uncomfortable feeling on withdrawal. I however remember quite well how much of a nervous wreck i was before starting Klonopin and that is precisely why I'm prescribed them and continue to take them.

#4 · (Edited)
"You have no comprehension of the psychological and physical dependence these drugs cause not to mention the adverse effects. Do some reading on withdrawal symptoms and it should scare the pants off of ya..."

yea i dont agree with this statement. and tr220, im sure you dont either given the fact that you are a recovering addict. im sure youre well aware of the dangers of addiction and the withdrawls that come with it. i think jonnynobody incorrectly took his valium as a daily supplement instead of being used properly, "as needed". its important that you use these drugs as theyre supposed to be used in order to greatly reduce the chances of the tough times jonny is going through. anyways keep that in mind.

being an ex addict myself i know exactly what you mean. youre not normally trusted with any narcotics. people always assume you have not learned anything from your past addiction and will simply start using again. its like they think youre some moron. i take it youve told your doctor about your drug history? i normally dont mention mine, not to be dishonest but because of the whole second hand treatment thing you mentioned. that and i dont like to relive the past. even if he/she does know about it, it sounds like theyre willing to help you get what you need and arent discriminating against you totally. afterall, you ARE on ativan. dont be scared to ask for something more effective. they can only say no. just be honest and say it isnt working. if they dont flatout say NO, then maybe mention that if they wanted to,they can somehow monitor your dosing. random pill counts or something ya know. anways good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.