Anyone using wellbutrin for anxiety ?? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Anyone using wellbutrin for anxiety ??

Hey all,

I recently stopped my wellbutrin after a 7-10 day trial as i was going on vacation and didn't want to deal with any potential side effects while away. I was experiencing the "looking through a fish bowl" effect and thought the timing was not right while away haha

I am thinking of starting again when i get back home but am wondering; can it help with anxiety, mood and motivation? Or any of those lol? The reason i asked is because i am not depressed, so am not sure if it's the right med for me.

But unfortunately my options are very limited these days since any ssri or snri seriously affect my RLS so cannot use them any longer.

Also could wellbutrin interfere with my Ritalin PRN?

Any feedback is much appreciated as always
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Hello there

For me, Wellbutrin seems best for motivation and energy, but not anxiety relief. It could intensify the Ritalin.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac28 View Post
For me, Wellbutrin seems best for motivation and energy, but not anxiety relief.
Yeah ditto.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:17 PM
SAS Member

i was considering asking my doctor for wellbutrin. it seems to have moderate side effects, and the extra motivation probably wouldn't hurt.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 PM
SAS Member

Hi

Wellbutrin helps my Anxiety but I'm also on 2 medications with it. Prozac and klonopin.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 11:13 PM
New mum to summer rose

I wish my pdoc would say yes to it, but he put it in the "dirty medication" category
but it seems to be good for motivation and energy

Hanz, i would stick with it, it sounds to have really good positive effects that outweight the negative compared to an SSRI/SNRI

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Bounty hunter

Isn't Wellbutrin supposed to have anxiety related side effects?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 05:18 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadra View Post
That's what I thought.

On another note - when I'm 'energised', I'm less nervous around people and more confident.

Could the energy provided by Wellbutrin help me be less nervous? If so, then what is the exact nature of the 'anxiety' it is said to cause in people?

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me"."
- Erma Bombeck
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 05:46 PM
New mum to summer rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtyl View Post
That's what I thought.

On another note - when I'm 'energised', I'm less nervous around people and more confident.

Could the energy provided by Wellbutrin help me be less nervous? If so, then what is the exact nature of the 'anxiety' it is said to cause in people?
I think possibly the anxiety mentioned as a side effect could be common in people who wellbutrin is not working for because on other forums where people have tried Wellbutrin, the positive reports sounded similar to yours in terms of "energy, motivation and less anxiety" but the negative side effects which caused people to stop taking them included high anxiety, depression, nausea and adverse effects like drastic changes in appetite, insomnia and mood swings

it would appear they are working well for u
lucky

"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? "
RFK quoting George Bernard Shaw

Do you think we choose the times into which we are born? Or do we fit the times we are born into?-Abraham Lincoln
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 PM
SAS Member

what does he mean "dirty med" category? that doesn't make much sense.

the side effects are minimal. it's a tough med to start on but once you even out and it kicks in, it feels like a very clean med.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisa1536 View Post
I wish my pdoc would say yes to it, but he put it in the "dirty medication" category
but it seems to be good for motivation and energy

Hanz, i would stick with it, it sounds to have really good positive effects that outweight the negative compared to an SSRI/SNRI
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:05 PM
SAS Member

wellbutrin causes some mild anxiety. i don't think it would work for anxiety.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisa1536 View Post
I think possibly the anxiety mentioned as a side effect could be common in people who wellbutrin is not working for because on other forums where people have tried Wellbutrin, the positive reports sounded similar to yours in terms of "energy, motivation and less anxiety" but the negative side effects which caused people to stop taking them included high anxiety, depression, nausea and adverse effects like drastic changes in appetite, insomnia and mood swings

it would appear they are working well for u
lucky

I think you misinterpreted my post (or perhaps my wording was misleading! :P) - I don't currently take Wellbutrin... I actually want to, for the motivation and energy!

What I meant was that I lose my SAD when I have feelings of motivation and energy - so I'm guessing that perhaps if Wellbutrin got me energised, I would lose my social anxiety.

But then if people say it produces anxiety as well, I don't know how that would work - I lose anxiety in social situations, but would always have a feeling of anxiety in all situations? So lose the peaks of anxiety I experience in some situations and replace it with a mild anxiety that I feel all the time?

Perhaps it's one of those "each person responds to medication differently" issues - which I suspect it might very well be :/

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me"."
- Erma Bombeck
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
SAS Member

Cool Not alone

I have GAD with social anxiety but not much depression. I took Lexapro for years and switched to Wellbutrin for libido reasons. Things got worse. My doctor says that Wellbutrin by itself can cause and increase in anxiety. I now take it with Paxil. This combo works but sexual interest is zip. Juggling all these options make me want to drop all meds but can't find a window to test that.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:33 PM
avui, no demà

wellbutrin made my anxiety 10x worse.

can't you take an snri/ssri in conjunction with, like, a beta blocker, vistaril, or requip/mirapex to control the rls?

'i'm in love with your brother / what's his name?' - karin dreijer andersson, olof dreijer
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:33 PM
SAS Member

I have been on Wellbutrin 200mg for about two months. Initially it gave me quite a boost. But now I think it has more antidepressant effects for me. I don't really know its effects too well, I get no anxiety from taking Wellbutrin. I think it really helps diminish my suicidal thoughts. But overall it's effects on me so far has been placebo.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadra View Post
Yeah my doctor told me that as well. My anxiety had improved but my depression was severe, so she prescribed me Wellbutrin for mood/fatigue and warned it could cause a bit of anxiety.

The first couple months on it I felt much more energetic. Considering I'm normally so exhausted and unmotivated to the point of barely being able to function, it was a nice boost. However, it seems to have completely worn off because I'm back to being as tired as before.. It's been about 8 months that I've been on it.

As for other effects, I don't notice any changes. My mood is still all over the place, my anxiety hasn't worsened, my motivation is still low. I don't know why I'm even still taking it actually.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 07:21 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by layitontheline View Post
Yeah my doctor told me that as well. My anxiety had improved but my depression was severe, so she prescribed me Wellbutrin for mood/fatigue and warned it could cause a bit of anxiety.

The first couple months on it I felt much more energetic. Considering I'm normally so exhausted and unmotivated to the point of barely being able to function, it was a nice boost. However, it seems to have completely worn off because I'm back to being as tired as before.. It's been about 8 months that I've been on it.

As for other effects, I don't notice any changes. My mood is still all over the place, my anxiety hasn't worsened, my motivation is still low. I don't know why I'm even still taking it actually.
That is how I feel on it. I got the initial boost of energy and then it pooped out. I do think that Wellbutrin has made me more less caring about stuff, similar to an ssri.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page