Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Like Tree3 Liked Posts

Old 01-15-2012, 02:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Anyone have a bad experience with anti-Depressants?

For about 6 months i was on multiple different anti-depressants/anxiety meds. She kept having to switch my medications because i was not noticing any improvement when taking certain ones. After not seeing any improvement at all i decided to get off the meds. As i was trying to get off the medication i had horrible side effects, i started becoming suicidal and attempting to cut my wrists (this was NOT normal for me) and i cried for 2 weeks straight. I literally felt like i was going insane. Now, thinking back on this, i think "wow i was crazy what the hell was wrong with me? i was not myself!"

But- my question is do any of you guys possibly know what was going on with me? i asked my doctor & she could never give me an answer. Or have any of you guys experienced this while taking anti-depressants?
Inspiron likes this.
KelseyAlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Its pretty common hun, just try to bare through it and things will get better. I'm assuming they tried the ssri's and snri's with you and like many people including myself they didn't do a whole lot of anything. And with with bouncing back and forth through meds then coming off it will have really messed with the chemicals in your brain especially serotonin. Your need to first educate yourself on the different meds out there, I feel researching your illness and medications is very important so you can go into your doctors office with some knowledge and not be bullied or persuaded into taking something you know isn't going to work for you. Go in and be firm "these class of meds you are prescribing me are not working (ssri ect) I need to look into some more options, I have done some research and wanted to ask about some other types of meds " to be perfectly honest I manipulate and persuade my doctor into seeking the line of treatment I feel might work for me, if it doesn't work on to the next doc. This attitude recently scored me Nardil, a very hard to get maoi anti depressant. Remember this is your body not the doctors, don't let them take control
Oioioi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's difficult to say exactly what was going on because the actual mechanism of action for antidepressants is still only theorized about. Hence when they are advertised on tv you will always hear that telling phrase "X is thought to work by etc" They don't know for sure what specific physiological changes take place in the brain. What is known is that many people experience side effects while taking them ranging from mild as in dry mouth to severe as in suicidal thoughts or even full blown psychosis. And many people have difficulty with what has been delicately, diplomatically termed 'discontinuation syndrome' that also encompasses a wide range of symptoms that can vary greatly in severity and duration. For quick anecdotal recap of some of my experiences, coming off Paxil I was sick in bed with nausea, chills, extreme fatigue etc. for two weeks. Coming off Effexor I experienced bouts of extreme rage and disassociation on and off for six months. Coming off Lexapro, I noticed no adverse side effects. If you're interested, there's a lot of intriguing material online on the subject of antidepressants, what they may be doing to the body and brain, what the long term implications may be for the CNS after long term use, along with studies, scholarly debates over their efficacy and seemingly endless horror stories, many of which match your own in detail. (disclaimer, I'm not coming down on one side or the other when it comes to the actual use of antidepressants)
'As human beings, our only sensible scale of values is one based on lessening the agony of existence. That plan is most deserving of praise which most ably fosters the creation of the objects and conditions best adapted to diminish the pain of living for those most sensitive to its depressing ravages.'- H.P. Lovecraft
HollowTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I understand how you feel.
49erJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oioioi123 View Post
Its pretty common hun, just try to bare through it and things will get better. I'm assuming they tried the ssri's and snri's with you and like many people including myself they didn't do a whole lot of anything. And with with bouncing back and forth through meds then coming off it will have really messed with the chemicals in your brain especially serotonin. Your need to first educate yourself on the different meds out there, I feel researching your illness and medications is very important so you can go into your doctors office with some knowledge and not be bullied or persuaded into taking something you know isn't going to work for you. Go in and be firm "these class of meds you are prescribing me are not working (ssri ect) I need to look into some more options, I have done some research and wanted to ask about some other types of meds " to be perfectly honest I manipulate and persuade my doctor into seeking the line of treatment I feel might work for me, if it doesn't work on to the next doc. This attitude recently scored me Nardil, a very hard to get maoi anti depressant. Remember this is your body not the doctors, don't let them take control
Thank you!
Old 01-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erJT View Post
I understand how you feel.

The only time I ever had suicidal thoughts was when I was taking an anti depressant. I believe I was manic while on it and all i wanted to do was drink hard core (like a fifth of vodka a night and I'd never had a drinking problem beforehand)

Also, I went from being an athletic, 6'1 185 lb male to weighing over 250 lbs in one year of taking them when I'd never had a weight problem in the past. Once I stopped taking them my weight, drinking, and personality all returned to normal....It's like I was a totally different person on AD's.
Crazy! Anti depressants are hell!
Inspiron likes this.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

49erJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like the medication might have been keeping you from major depression and suicidal tendencies. It might have not made your situation with anxiety/mood/depression a whole lot better, but it probably prevented it from getting worse.

Going off antidepressants usually doesn't end well unless somehow your depression is gone and you do not need medicine to supplement your deficiencies.

Many people report depression and suicidal thoughts starting an AD and most likely that is because it takes about 10 weeks for it to start showing signs. Mine took about 10-12 weeks to start working but it reduced my depression dramatically.

Going off meds will usually make you act erratic, nervous, schizo, have homicidal dreams, sweat, lose attention, among other things.

Although I can see how your in a predicament if you really think that your AD's haven't done ANYTHING for you after 6 months. You should be on your 5th med, and should continue to move up through SSRI's, TCAs and MAOI's if you feel nothing is working.
gilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erJT View Post
Some people swear by them but I'll never take another one.
Same here. Feel better without them than on them!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Wow your doctor can't really give you an answer? For me, Zoloft seems to be working for me so I'm not in this category I guess.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

Yes it is normal because it happened to you and others
These drugs are a waste of time at best for a lot of people
Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

You're not depressed enough to be on them. Are you suicidal?
Inshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've only tried Celexa and recently trazodone, and both definitely introduced very dark, negative thoughts that felt alien to me and deeply disturbing. An adjustment period shouldn't consist of nightmares, psychological terrors, homicidal thoughts, and living in a complete fog. I truly believe that anti-depressants are a lot more hardcore and dangerous than what is normally advertised.
borbiusle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Most of us have had bad experiences to some degree. If your doc is not giving you answers, or supporting you through this roller coaster of treatment I would defaintly find a new doctor. Its possible going on and off several medications has caused your natural brain chemical levels to drop below normal after being elevated for so long. It could take awhile for it to play catch up and naturally level out causing extra levels of depression and abnormal mood disturbances. Especially if you switched up medications quickly, and didn't ween off the last one slowly over a long period of time.

If you have left over of whatever it was you took last you could try taking half of your normal dosage to see if it helps any. If it does, step yourself down with what you have left.

Hang in there!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inshallah View Post
You're not depressed enough to be on them. Are you suicidal?
Off of the drugs I am not suicidal, but when I was trying to get Off them I was
Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyz View Post
Yes it is normal because it happened to you and others
These drugs are a waste of time at best for a lot of people
Yup! The list of your medications that you have on your response I have tried like 4 of them and none worked for me.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #17 (permalink)

Sounds similar to my experience. SSRIs didn't do anything for me until I tried paxil. It really messed me up big time. I did things and took risks that I would NEVER normally do. I was respected for being fearless in school but my family said I turned into a monster. Kinda like the guy in my avatar haha So after seeing how bad these drugs could mess with you I devoted a lot of time to researching things, which I think everyone should do to some extent.

Let me guess, you tried zoloft, effexor, lexapro, and paxil??
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
Sounds similar to my experience. SSRIs didn't do anything for me until I tried paxil. It really messed me up big time. I did things and took risks that I would NEVER normally do. I was respected for being fearless in school but my family said I turned into a monster. EDIT: Kinda like the guy in my avatar haha So after seeing how bad these drugs could mess with you I devoted a lot of time to researching things, which I think everyone should do to some extent.

Let me guess, you tried zoloft, effexor, lexapro, and paxil??

I tried all those except Effexor!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyAlena View Post
Off of the drugs I am not suicidal, but when I was trying to get Off them I was
Then you really didn't need them in the first place. It's not your fault, the doctors are massively overprescribing antidepressants. Of course they are not going to work for people who are hardly depressed. For each and every single one I know who is depressed (and are all also suicidal), they are close to a miracle.
Inshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Paxil made me feel worse so my doctor switched me to 20mg of prozac. I took that for about 3 weeks and couldn't tell if I was feeling anything at all from it so she upped it to 40mg. I took that for about another week and things went downhill very fast. I started feeling suicidal and couldn't get my mind off certain things/people I had recently lost. I even started cutting/burning myself as an outlet for the pain (something I never thought in a million years I would ever do). I kept taking it for about 5 more weeks because I was told it could take time before I start feeling better. I stopped taking Prozac cold turkey about 2 weeks ago (one good thing about it is the withdrawal wasn't bad at all) and I already feel 20x better. I have scars, both physical and emotional, from SSRI's.

They switched me to Effexor last week, so we will see how that goes. -_-