X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone combined two ssri's before?

So pdoc put me on zoloft over 7 weeks ago and gradually over the weeks i went to 125mg. 125mg was hard for me to tolerate so i dropped to 100mg. Once i dropped back to 100mg I started having really bad heart burns and acid reflux. Constant heart palpitation most of the day to the point i was having panic attacks. Did notice some improvement with zoloft so wasn't sure if i wanna give up on it yet.

Pdoc suggested to reduce the zoloft to 50mg (small dose) and combine this with another ssri (10mg of lexapro), this way i can get rid of the heart burn. I was on lexapro for 7 years so i know i can tolerate it however it wasn't as effective as the time i started it so started put on different ssri's

What do you guys think, can this work? has anyone been put on a combo of two ssri's before?
Burnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

i have once while tapering off of one and titrated on another - i avoided relapsing and also any discontinuation syndrome symptoms.

of course mine was temporary, though, and your situation sounds as though his ideal is to have you on both drugs concurrently which is unorthodox, for sure.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuraeuropea View Post
i have once while tapering off of one and titrated on another - i avoided relapsing and also any discontinuation syndrome symptoms.

of course mine was temporary, though, and your situation sounds as though his ideal is to have you on both drugs concurrently which is unorthodox, for sure.

the problem is i already were on lexapro for 7 years and it worked great for a long time , but lost its efficacy later on. I took a break from lexapro for 6 months, not sure if that would made a difference a second time taking it? kinda like a ssri vacation
Old 06-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfairway View Post
the problem is i already were on lexapro for 7 years and it worked great for a long time , but lost its efficacy later on. I took a break from lexapro for 6 months, not sure if that would made a difference a second time taking it? kinda like a ssri vacation
i was on paxil for ten years before it lost its efficacy and i was taken off of it and placed on another ssri before trying to return to paxil after a period of two years and it still had a very poor efficacy rate. : it was quite the perfect ssri while it worked!

i really don't understand why your physician wants you on two ssris, though, even if only to mitigate side effects, it seems as though that's a poor solution to relieve heartburn.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuraeuropea View Post
i was on paxil for ten years before it lost its efficacy and i was taken off of it and placed on another ssri before trying to return to paxil after a period of two years and it still had a very poor efficacy rate. : it was quite the perfect ssri while it worked!

i really don't understand why your physician wants you on two ssris, though, even if only to mitigate side effects, it seems as though that's a poor solution to relieve heartburn.

I agree. I am very fed up with keep trying different things and nothing seems to be working. I have tried a few ssris (celexa, lexapro, zoloft), one snri (cymbalta), wellbutrin and all the benzo's which can't be taken on a daily basis unfortunately (i build a quick tolerance). I have already been on zoloft for over 7 weeks and don't see how much more improvement i'm gonna get and at the therapeutic dose its heart burn and palpitation all day. Even though i have a feeling that if i go back to lexapro it won't be as good as before but i'm might just try it since i already am on it. Will slowly decrease the zoloft to nothing and increase the lexapro just to prove once and for all that it will work/or not. I guess if that doesn't work i still can try prozac or paxil but not sure if ssri's are working for me anymore. The other route is to try maoi's or a tca but am worried due to the side effects and don't know which one to choose