X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 05-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any reason to believe California Rocket Fuel could help?

I've taken both Prozac and Zoloft, and they had absolutely no effect on anxiety or depression. And the side effects I didn't like.

I am considering going on Effexor XR, because I do think the added norepinephrine reuptake could help. I also like the idea of adding Remeron to potentiate its effects. However, I'm hesitant on trying this because I don't have access to healthcare so I would have to order these online from a reliable vendor (I'm not concerned with the quality of the meds, but I am concerned of the price.)

So after trying ssri's and having them fail on me, would it be reasonable to assume that Rocket Fuel probably wouldn't have that much of an effect on me? Or is there a HUGE difference between the Rocket Fuel and a standard ssri?

As a side note, Tramadol has an awesome effect on depression, but I don't like the idea of using it as a long term solution, there would inevitably have to be a lot of peaks and valleys in order to prevent addiction or tolerance, but as a once in a while thing I think its nice to have around for right now.
n1kkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm on CRF and I like it, but I guess your best bet would be to try one or the other first (either effexor or remeron) and see how they affect you. Rather than going straight to taking them both at once.
jim_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1kkuh View Post
I've taken both Prozac and Zoloft, and they had absolutely no effect on anxiety or depression. And the side effects I didn't like.

I am considering going on Effexor XR, because I do think the added norepinephrine reuptake could help. I also like the idea of adding Remeron to potentiate its effects. However, I'm hesitant on trying this because I don't have access to healthcare so I would have to order these online from a reliable vendor (I'm not concerned with the quality of the meds, but I am concerned of the price.)

So after trying ssri's and having them fail on me, would it be reasonable to assume that Rocket Fuel probably wouldn't have that much of an effect on me? Or is there a HUGE difference between the Rocket Fuel and a standard ssri?

As a side note, Tramadol has an awesome effect on depression, but I don't like the idea of using it as a long term solution, there would inevitably have to be a lot of peaks and valleys in order to prevent addiction or tolerance, but as a once in a while thing I think its nice to have around for right now.
If you like Tramadol you will like Ralivia. Its a 24 hour acting version of Tramadol available in Canada. Its basically like an anti-depressant in that form.
Noca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_morrison View Post
I'm on CRF and I like it, but I guess your best bet would be to try one or the other first (either effexor or remeron) and see how they affect you. Rather than going straight to taking them both at once.
How does it make you feel? I'm very skeptical that effexor will have any benefits for me by itself, but its hard to tell. I guess there's no point in asking about it, the only thing for me to do is to take the dive and just try the stuff. What's a good starting dose?

Quote:
If you like Tramadol you will like Ralivia. Its a 24 hour acting version of Tramadol available in Canada. Its basically like an anti-depressant in that form.
That sounds nice, but I'd imagine tolerance and dependance still being a major issue. If your smart with your tramadol dosing you can take little bites of the pill and make 100mg last you a whole day. I have tramadol-SR, which is tramadol in a sticky matrix, much like concerta, don't know if its the same thing as Ralivia, but it can last me for about 6hours!
n1kkuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1kkuh View Post
How does it make you feel? I'm very skeptical that effexor will have any benefits for me by itself, but its hard to tell. I guess there's no point in asking about it, the only thing for me to do is to take the dive and just try the stuff. What's a good starting dose?
Well for me personally I never responded to SSRI's and they caused side effects like sexual dysfunction etc, so I switched to effexor and I started on about 75 mg initially and then up to 150 mg for month or so, and it wasn't really helping me and also it was causing sexual side effects just like an SSRI would, so I boosted the dose up to 225 mg and then all I can say is wow! what a change! my mood lifted and all the sexual side effects went away, I've read alot of studys indicating that 200 mg is about the dose where norepinephrine kicks in hard, so I guess I needed that dual effect for a response. To me it trumps SSRI's though, hands down.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Why did you add remeron to effexor jim? If the effexor on its own worked?

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzyMed View Post
Why did you add remeron to effexor jim? If the effexor on its own worked?
Primarily because I've had bad insomnia for years which only seems to respond to remeron, I should point out that hypnotics such as lunesta, ambien etc are not commonly used where I live though so I couldn't really compare them vs remeron for sleep.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

based on the combined mechanisms of Effexor/Velafaxine + Mirtazapine, It should probably be somewhat more effective than either agent alone, I wouldn't be suprised if it actually lived up to reputation of being effective for treatment-resistant depression/anxiety and stuff.

SERT + NET + weak DAT blockade, + Increased 5HT-1A, Decreased 5HT-2A, 5HT-2C and 5HT-7......the effectiveness of Effexor/Venlafaxine would be greatly increased, and side effects would be significantly decreased. Less nausea, anxiety, insomnia (i think ? ) If I could , I would get rid of the Mirtazapine 5HT-2A antagonism though, thats like its only downfall really.....the 5HT-3 antagonism sucks also by itself, but it could be balanced I guess by the Effexor agonizing it, and vice versa. Overall it looks like a much more effective combination, with much fewer side effects like Nausea, decreased appetite, sexual dysfunction, ect.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah the 5HT2A and 5HT3 antagonism is a bit of the downside, and H1 antagonism too, without that remeron would be awesome. But the combo is still very good and definatly worth a try.

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
-Lenin

Loving my girl.

Anyone is free to PM me questions or ask my MSN adress.
crayzyMed is offline   Reply With Quote