X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 11-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any medication make u more outgoing?

I dont really have any physical symptoms of SA but i find it hard to talk to people just becuase i dont have anything to say. For the most part im in this tired, reclusive, non talkitive mood where im CANT be social. kinda like when u wake up in the morning, but its the majority of the time.
Now, at times i get in a talkitive mood where i can be fun, have fun, have somewhat of a conversation. Its definitely comes and goes for no apparent reason so im thinking maybe its some chemicaL imbalance or brain not working right or something like that.
would there be any medicine that could help this?
Ive always suffered from severe depression, though it's been alot better lately and im on prozac with has helped, i even think it's helped me get out of that "mood" a little more.
jjizzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Adderall has a huge effect on how outgoing I am.
Draztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wink I understand

I can totally relate to you. I used to have crippling social anxiety until I started medication. Now I'm alot better but I often get stuck for words especially when people want me to make small talk. Hmmm??
sweetpea73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
dax

I might try Ritalin before Adderall. Adderall is a very strong med. It could make you feel really paranoid.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
99x

Clonazepam relaxes me and makes me more social. It feels similar to having a mixed drink or something. Depending on the dose it can last 8-10 hours. My doctor prescribed me a sub for Adderall and the first few times it made me very talkative and somewhat outgoing, it would last about 6 hours, but that changed within a few days. The affects only last like 2 hours for me now and I feel aggressive and irritable when I'm coming down from it. I'm gonna ask for Adderall XR next time and see if that works better.
99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Adderall though you'll never get it.
mserychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax View Post
I might try Ritalin before Adderall. Adderall is a very strong med. It could make you feel really paranoid.
I know it does that to some people, but it has the complete opposite effect for me. One day walking to class I was talking to two guys from my last class about the football game and some other stuff and then I sat down by them in class. If I somehow end up having a conversation I almost never end up sitting by anyone because I feel like I'm making things awkward if I get anything less then a formal invite to sit next to someone. About five minute into class I realized I sat next to these people without even thinking twice, and nothing was odd, weird, or awkward at all.
Draztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

You guys I am on 90 mg of Adderall and I am still not outgoing lol I have ADHD and take Adderall for it. It makes me more energetic but not more outgoing. I am also taking Paxil and that is helping my social anxiety disorder.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I hate seeing all this "you won't get it (Adderall)". I got it a while ago. I just showed how sincere to the doc I was. Just tell him everything and who knows, you might get it. I got it but started taking too much due to dependence. I started seeing ufo's outside my house, I guess that was the medicine.
ThirdEyeGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Adderall XR
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Tried carrying the weight of the world, but I only have two hands... So wake me up when I'm older, when I'm wiser and I'm older
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilEthereal View Post
I hate seeing all this "you won't get it (Adderall)". I got it a while ago. I just showed how sincere to the doc I was. Just tell him everything and who knows, you might get it. I got it but started taking too much due to dependence. I started seeing ufo's outside my house, I guess that was the medicine.
Lol... Sorry, thats not funny cuz it was probably pretty scary for you.

Yah, I read through a forum recently where everyone posts about their illegal recreational use of adderall and I was surprised to see so many cases of severe hallucinations like this one you describe. Obviously it means you are on way too much of it or your brain is not at all in 'need' of it.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yea, I was prescribed Adderall XR for ADD for a long time, but as of late I've been on this newer dextramphetamine called Vyvanse, which I would ultimately recommend if you want something that will make you more sociable so to speak.
JohnIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6237 View Post
yea adderall makes you more outgoing and energetic, but good luck getting it unless you have ADD.
I told my psychiatrist about my very limited experience with Adderall & Dexedrine (given to me by others without me ever asking for them in any way). I told him about the oddly calm sensation they gave me, saying that I think that what I was feeling was the normalcy that other people feel most of the time.

I asked him if one would expect a stimulant to calm somebody. He said no and speculated that possibly I might have ADD given that a potent stimulant calms me rather than making me nervous. Given that even 10 mg of Xanax doesn't even come close to getting the job done and never did, perhaps we've been going at this the wrong way for years.

I haven't yet gotten around researching ADD and seeing if that really sounds like a serious possibility to me.
UltraShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraShy View Post
I told my psychiatrist about my very limited experience with Adderall & Dexedrine (given to me by others without me ever asking for them in any way). I told him about the oddly calm sensation they gave me, saying that I think that what I was feeling was the normalcy that other people feel most of the time.

I asked him if one would expect a stimulant to calm somebody. He said no and speculated that possibly I might have ADD given that a potent stimulant calms me rather than making me nervous. Given that even 10 mg of Xanax doesn't even come close to getting the job done and never did, perhaps we've been going at this the wrong way for years.

I haven't yet gotten around researching ADD and seeing if that really sounds like a serious possibility to me.
if it calms you it would be ADHD and not ADD
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Tried carrying the weight of the world, but I only have two hands... So wake me up when I'm older, when I'm wiser and I'm older
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ultra, you took that medication the same day we met. How do you know I don't have a calming effect on you? What is that called in Psychology when there is another variable to be accounted for?
fauxhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

Why does adderall make you more outgoing but provigil doesn't....are they both stimulates?
Jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:41 AM   #17 (permalink)

Just remember people medication does not change your personality so if by nature you are introverted and quite medication might only cause you to feel better (less anxiety and depression etc) but not necessarily cause you to become more talkative/ outgoing etc..
hesitation marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaiyyson View Post
Just remember people medication does not change your personality so if by nature you are introverted and quite medication might only cause you to feel better (less anxiety and depression etc) but not necessarily cause you to become more talkative/ outgoing etc..
Kinda true....I've taken some meds that made me feel extroverted to the max.....

Anyone ever heard of a extrovert with SAD? I wonder if it is something that hits mainly introverts
Jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaiyyson View Post
I disagree .I have been on Nardil for about 5 weeks and it is slowly changing my personality.I am much more talkative and outgoing.
bruinsy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

I can relate to the OP, thats pretty much how I am. I've tried adderall twice and it turned me extroverted. I don't think I can get a script for it though..but I don't believe its very great for a long term treatment. I just prayyy that one of these flippin SSRIs or SNRIs will do me any good.