antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction and zombification - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: Which antidepressant class is least prone to cause zombification & sexual problems?
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) 0 0%
Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) 0 0%
Serotonin modulator and stimulators (SMSs) | e.g.: vortioxetine, vilazodone 0 0%
Serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitors (SARIs) | e.g.: Trazodone Nefazodone 3 37.50%
Norepinephrine [dopamine] reuptake inhibitors (NDRIs, NRIs or NERIs) | e.g.: Reboxetine, Bupropion 5 62.50%
Tricyclic antidepressants 0 0%
Tetracyclic antidepressants | NaSSAs | e.g.: Mirtazapine, Mianserin, Maprotiline 4 50.00%
Atypical TCAs | e.g.: Opipramol, Tianeptine 2 25.00%
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) 4 50.00%
Atypical antipsychotics | Buspirone etc. 2 25.00%
Others | e.g.: Agomelatine, Ketamine, Tryptophan, St. John's Wort, Lithium, T3/T4 etc. 4 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Question antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction and zombification

Let's talk about antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction and zombification. Many patients, who take antidepressants, are affected by those bull**** side effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillman fan View Post
I feel like going on a rant re: SSRIs but usually when these threads are migrated from another forum the original posters disappear.

Your doctor has plenty of other options for antidepressants that do not cause sexual dysfunction and apathy, as well as medications that can ameliorate these side effects. The "accepted wisdom" among doctors seems to be that the serious long term side effects of apathy and sexual dysfunction are not a problem. The best thing you can do as a patient is point out how serious these side effects are and demand that your doctor discuss alternatives you have researched.

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...21-post25.html
hello to you all

because of depression (Dystymia with reoccurring episodes of MDD) and a specific social anxiety (glossophobia | speech anxiety), I've been taking Sertraline 50mg for 8 weeks now...

I've started with 12,5mg for 3 days, then went up to 25mg for 7 days and finally upped to 50mg. Since I am on 50mg, I am dealing with some very "annoying" side effects:

# insomnia (falling asleep is difficult, shallow sleep, waking up a lot in the night... to my surprise I am not sleepy during daytime, but somewhat "stoned" and dazed.
# flat emotions, emotional dullness / blunting, apathy, anhedonia, indifference (it's like being a Vulcan or a Borg drone).
# loss of libido / no sex drive: I have no problem getting "him" hard, but there is no joy in it anymore. It's like being prepubescent.
It took away everything human from me, everything that it's worth living for. Sleeping, sex, joy, motivations and emotions are the basic things of human existence, see Maslow's hierarchy of needs. I'd rather be depressive and anxious than how I am right now...

Are there antidepressants, that help with depression and social anxiety, but do not cause the zombification & sexual problems? And what are these?

Greetings from Germany,
Duckbruck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 PM
SAS Member

You didn't say how severe your symptoms are when you are depressed, but it doesn't really matter. Double depression - acute depressions interspersed with dysthymia, is much harder to treat than the mild depressions that fill clinical trials. I don't think you are going to get much mileage out of mediocre treatments like SSRIs.

Dysthymia is actually very hard to treat. Acute depressions are when your brain is out of whack, so you just need a little boost in order to return to a "normal" state. The problem is that dysthymia is "normal" for your brain. It is very difficult to change this homeostasis.

The real dilemma here isn't your medication options. There are plenty of potent drugs out there. The issue is that psychiatrists don't want to prescribe them. Maybe he will suggest adding something like Wellbutrin and I am sure your psychiatrist would be OK with Remeron. But these are not particularly potent drugs. IMO, based on research I have done, you need to be aggressive and pursue a full remission. The longer depression goes untreated, the worst the prognosis. It becomes more difficult to get a medication response. You do have some options with potent drugs but I am not going to go into full detail here. Just look at my signature - I am lucky to have a psychiatrist who listens to my suggestions and has prescribed a number of "unusual" drugs for me, it took a lot but I am finally in remission.

So your doctor is probably unwilling to prescribe the meds powerful enough to give you full remission. They are completely accustomed to working with SSRIs, antipsychotics and a few other drugs.

Mirtazepine is a good compromise, probably as good as you are going to get from your doctor now, and it won't give you those unwanted side effects. Neither will Wellbutrin. It should be easy enough to get a prescription for either or both of these drugs. Doctors love to switch from one SSRI to another, but it is very likely if you experience nasty side effects on one SSRI you will experience the same problems on another SSRI.

I am on an MAOI which is popular on these forums, I don't want to go into much more detail but read around here for testimonials. MAOIs are powerful drugs, and Parnate especially produces remarkably few side effects. I have insomnia, that is it. .

Oh and if Cara Delevigne jumps you but you don't feel into her, send her my way

Working dx Bipolar II
Medications: 225mg Lithium xl, 150 mg Lamotrigine, 20 mg Vyvanse, 150 mg Tranylcypromine, 75 mg Noritryptiline, 200 mg Buproprion SR, Agamantine 150 mg, Ketamine 200 mg (sublingual) twice a week. Trazodone 100 mg nightly + Sonata as needed for sleep.
I am NOT a doctor. Consult your physician on all medical decisions.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
You didn't say how severe your symptoms are when you are depressed
My dystymia is characterized mostly by mild/moderate anhedonia, difficulty making decisions and lack of motivation. It is some sort auf agitated dystymia with much restlessness. I have to say that the psychomotor agitation is the worst part about it... I would like to calm down and not be psychotic hamster ^^

I had two acute depressions, but those were mostly reactive to difficult life circumstances.

I am not suicidal and I never was.

Quote:
Dysthymia is actually very hard to treat. Acute depressions are when your brain is out of whack, so you just need a little boost in order to return to a "normal" state. The problem is that dysthymia is "normal" for your brain. It is very difficult to change this homeostasis.
I have found out for myself that an organized and strict lifestyle (sleep hygiene, exercise, regular relaxation, eating habbits) has very positive effects on my Dystymia, but it doesn't lead to full remission. That's why I am trying also ADs and psychotherapy etc.

Quote:
The real dilemma here isn't your medication options. There are plenty of potent drugs out there. The issue is that psychiatrists don't want to prescribe them.

IMO, based on research I have done, you need to be aggressive and pursue a full remission.

So your doctor is probably unwilling to prescribe the meds powerful enough to give you full remission. They are completely accustomed to working with SSRIs, antipsychotics and a few other drugs.
I agree. Especially in Germany they are very strict and overcautious when it comes to anti depressants and psychopharmacology. They mostly prescribe SSRIs.

Here are some stats on German prescriptions: http://www.mind-and-brain-blog.de/en...tidepressants/

Quote:
Mirtazepine is a good compromise, probably as good as you are going to get from your doctor now, and it won't give you those unwanted side effects. Neither will Wellbutrin. It should be easy enough to get a prescription for either or both of these drugs.
Indeed!
I was also thinking about some synergetic combos, for example Venlafaxine + Mirtazapine or a SSRI + Mirtazapine. But I definitely need something that stimulates my appetite & and helps with my sleep & agitation... Mirtazapine seems to be a promising candidate

Quote:
Mirtazapine in combination with an SSRI, SNRI, or TCA as an augmentation strategy is considered to be relatively safe and is often employed therapeutically,[47][77][78][79][80] with a combination of venlafaxine and mirtazapine sometimes referred to as “California rocket fuel”.[81]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirtazapine#Interactions
Quote:
Antagonism of the 5-HT3 receptor, an action mirtazapine shares with the approved antiemetic ondansetron, significantly improves pre-existing symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and irritable bowel syndrome in afflicted individuals.[110] Mirtazapine may be used as an inexpensive antiemetic alternative to ondansetron.[26] Blockade of the 5-HT3 receptors has also shown to improve anxiety and to be effective in the treatment of drug addiction in several studies.[111] In conjunction with substance abuse counseling, mirtazapine has been investigated for the purpose of reducing methamphetamine use in dependent individuals with success.[105] In contrast to mirtazapine, the SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOIs, and some TCAs increase the general activity of the 5-HT2A, 5-HT2C, and 5-HT3 receptors leading to a host of negative changes and side effects, the most prominent of which including anorexia, insomnia, sexual dysfunction (loss of libido and anorgasmia), nausea, and diarrhoea, among others. As a result, it is often combined with these drugs to reduce their side-effect profile and to produce a stronger antidepressant effect.[47][77][78][79][80][112]

Like many other antidepressants, mirtazapine has been found to have antinociceptive properties in mice.[114] However, unlike most other antidepressants, though similarly to venlafaxine, these effects are mostly mediated through downstream modulation of the endogenous opioid system, of which in the case of mirtazapine the μ opioid and κ3 opioid receptors are mainly involved.[114] Interestingly, while virtually all antidepressants differ little in their maximal effectiveness in the treatment of major depression, mirtazapine and venlafaxine have demonstrated superior efficacy in treating severe types of depression such as psychotic depression and treatment-resistant depression.[114] This may be due to their unique influence on the opioid system, which is a property that may give them an advantage over other antidepressants in cases of severe depressive symptomatology.[114]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirtaz...inical_effects
Quote:
A comparative meta-analysis of 12 major antidepressants found that venlafaxine, mirtazapine, escitalopram, and sertraline were significantly more efficacious than duloxetine, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, and reboxetine.[8] A combination of venlafaxine and mirtazapine achieved remission rates (defined as a HAM-D score of 7 or less) of 58% in one controlled trial.[9] In combination with an antipsychotic medicine aripiprazole, better results in treatment resistant depression in older adults have been demonstrated.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venlafaxine
Quote:
Doctors love to switch from one SSRI to another, but it is very likely if you experience nasty side effects on one SSRI you will experience the same problems on another SSRI.
Yes, that's what I am afraid of. Doctors here like to cycle SSRIs and waste the life-time of their patients...

Quote:
I am on an MAOI which is popular on these forums, I don't want to go into much more detail but read around here for testimonials. MAOIs are powerful drugs, and Parnate especially produces remarkably few side effects. I have insomnia, that is it. .
To get a MAOI prescribed in Germany, I would have to lay down onto the track bed and wait for the train to cut my head off
They'd rather prescribe me electro-convulsive therapy than MAOI

Quote:
Oh and if Cara Delevigne jumps you but you don't feel into her, send her my way
Unlikely, but I will keep that in mind

Austrian Guy
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My libido / sex drive has become better for the last two days.

Additionally to my other side effects I've been having headaches, upset stomach and hot flashes for the last 3 days.

I'll give the Sertraline 3 more weeks and see what happens
I'll let you know in three weeks how it went...

Austrian Guy
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I have the feeling that Sertraline is worsening my agitation & restlessness. I am sitting on my chair and whipping around O_o

Austrian Guy
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:17 PM
SAS Member

Duckbruck: Agitation and restlessness is one symptom that is "supposed" to get better as 5ht2a downregulates. SSRIs are a terrible treatment for some of your other symptoms though, e.g. anhedonia. Receptor 5ht2c does not downregulate, it is pretty strongly linked to anhedonic symptoms. It is a very common long term side effect for people who did not have it in the first place, let alone people who start out with that symptom.

Given this, you should try to get a Mirtazepine Rx and see how it does for your anhedonic symptoms. SSRIs tend to be more relaxing, feel good, and anxiolytic once they "kick in" over time but apathy is a side effect that usually remains. Re: the scholarly articles you linked, much of the praise regarding Mirtazepine applies equally to any med that is NOT an SSRI, e.g. most tricyclics are quite weak on serotonin. Anyway it is worth a shot. SSRI + Mirtazepine is usually better than just SSRI if you experience anhedonia. My view of Mirtazepine is overall not that great, but since most patients are forced on SSRIs, it can help to lessen the blow.

However, if you want to start afresh - I had a look at the statistics re: German prescribing and I was surprised to see tricyclics doing so well. It looks like Amitryptiline is commonly prescribed in Germany. This med is interesting for several reasons, it offers several rather unconventional mechanisms for curing depression, and it metabolizes into Nortriptyline, which is a great 5ht2a and 5ht2c antagonist, just a great med period. It is rather like having 2 medications for the price of one. I don't think it would worsen anhedonia. Moderately strong on antihistamine, it should be a sedating combo which may help with your agitation. Anticholinergic side effects may bother you, or they may not, but at least it won't make your preexisting symptoms worse.

Probably the worse thing about tricyclics is that there is a significant statistical link between anticholinergics and dementia. But for you at age 27 I wouldn't worry about this too much. If a TCA treats your symptoms well but the anticholinergic effects really bother you, there are ways of treating those side effects as well.

Edit: here is another page on these forums re: medication combos. http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...ombos-1884785/
I forgot STAR * D. This was the biggest controlled trial of multiple medications. Effexor + Mirtazepine was compared directly to Parnate. They showed up equal - but this was at an inadequate dose of Parnate (39 mg average). The study authors admitted as much in follow up commentary on the study.

Working dx Bipolar II
Medications: 225mg Lithium xl, 150 mg Lamotrigine, 20 mg Vyvanse, 150 mg Tranylcypromine, 75 mg Noritryptiline, 200 mg Buproprion SR, Agamantine 150 mg, Ketamine 200 mg (sublingual) twice a week. Trazodone 100 mg nightly + Sonata as needed for sleep.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:20 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckbruck View Post
My libido / sex drive has become better for the last two days.

Additionally to my other side effects I've been having headaches, upset stomach and hot flashes for the last 3 days.

I'll give the Sertraline 3 more weeks and see what happens
I'll let you know in three weeks how it went...
I'm one week in on adding 50 mg zoloft to my 300mg wellbutrin and 30mg buspirone.

Keep us posted on if the libido/sex drive returns... I have basically the same exact issue as you mentioned above with no interest in it whatsoever...however it has gotten slightly better since day 2-3. My appetite is nonexistant and i feel nauseous all day long too.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 06:07 AM
SAS Member

Milnacipran is a SNRI which blocks the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine almost equally. So it's much more potent on the norepinephrine reuptake than duloxetine (Cymbalta) and venflaxaine (Effexor). As far as I know, milnacipran is only approved for fibromyalgia in the States, but here in Europe it's also prescribed against depression and anxiety (like "normal" SSRIs/SNRIs). And OH BOY, does it work! For the first time in my life, or perhaps at least in the last few years, I feel CALM. I've been taking 50 mg per day (most people are recommended to take 100) and I have experienced very mild sexual side effects (which is kind of good for me, because I used to be overly sexual to the point it was frustrating). I have no problems achieving and maintaing an erection, but the orgams (which are no problem too) do feel a little bit toned down, maybe like 10-20 % less pleasurable. But all in all, nothing major as far as sexual side effects are concerned.

In the first few days, I experienced some headaches, but they were gone after a few days. The only lasting side effect was a very unpleasant sleep maintenance insomnia, for which I now take about 100 mg trazodone. Now sleep's perfect again.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I regained my libido /sex drive to some degree, so that's on the positive side.
That unpleasant "cocaine feeling" has also subsided.

What remains negative:
# insomnia
# no appetite | upset stomach | gastric malaise
# agitation
# anhedonia to some degree...

Quote:
Given this, you should try to get a Mirtazepine Rx and see how it does for your anhedonic symptoms. SSRIs tend to be more relaxing, feel good, and anxiolytic once they "kick in" over time but apathy is a side effect that usually remains.

Re: the scholarly articles you linked, much of the praise regarding Mirtazepine applies equally to any med that is NOT an SSRI, e.g. most tricyclics are quite weak on serotonin. Anyway it is worth a shot. SSRI + Mirtazepine is usually better than just SSRI if you experience anhedonia. My view of Mirtazepine is overall not that great, but since most patients are forced on SSRIs, it can help to lessen the blow.
I think that is the best and most realistic option for me. Getting Mirtazapine prescribed should be relatively easy.

Does Trazodone also have antiemetic and appetite stimulating properties?

And what is your opinion on Maprotiline?

Quote:
However, if you want to start afresh - I had a look at the statistics re: German prescribing and I was surprised to see tricyclics doing so well. It looks like Amitryptiline is commonly prescribed in Germany. This med is interesting for several reasons, it offers several rather unconventional mechanisms for curing depression, and it metabolizes into Nortriptyline, which is a great 5ht2a and 5ht2c antagonist, just a great med period. It is rather like having 2 medications for the price of one. I don't think it would worsen anhedonia. Moderately strong on antihistamine, it should be a sedating combo which may help with your agitation. Anticholinergic side effects may bother you, or they may not, but at least it won't make your preexisting symptoms worse.
German inpatients (hospitals, psychiatric day clinics etc.) most often get prescribed TCAs.
Ambulant patients and GP-visitors most often are put on SSRIs and SNRIs.

That's the german psychiatric duality.

But I agree wit you. A TCA like Amitryptiline (Nortriptyline) or maybe even Clomipramine (?) would be worth a try. I will have to talk it over with my psychiatrist. This is always the difficult part, the fine line between being an patient and a "smartass". Many doctors are very allergic to suggestions from their patients ^^

Quote:
Edit: here is another page on these forums re: medication combos. http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...ombos-1884785/
Thank you.
That is indeed an interesting combo. I've been doing some reading and all about it sounds very promising.

Been checking our pharmacies: We have Nortrilen 10mg in Germany.
https://www.medizinfuchs.de/preisver...zn-730081.html

Quote:
I forgot STAR * D. This was the biggest controlled trial of multiple medications. Effexor + Mirtazepine was compared directly to Parnate. They showed up equal - but this was at an inadequate dose of Parnate (39 mg average). The study authors admitted as much in follow up commentary on the study.
We do have Tranylcypromin (Parnate) in Germany, but it's really expensive:
https://www.medizinfuchs.de/wirkstof...lter_price%5D=

https://www.medizinfuchs.de/wirkstof...lter_price%5D=

We don't have Phenelzin (Nardil) in Germany.

Austrian Guy
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigpk View Post
I'm one week in on adding 50 mg zoloft to my 300mg wellbutrin and 30mg buspirone.
That's one potent hellraiser mix

Quote:
Keep us posted on if the libido/sex drive returns...
I will...

Quote:
I have basically the same exact issue as you mentioned above with no interest in it whatsoever...however it has gotten slightly better since day 2-3. My appetite is nonexistant and i feel nauseous all day long too.
A problem shared is a problem halved

How is your sleep?

Austrian Guy
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:47 AM
SAS Member

Re: Nortriline and Maptroline - for the most part when I post here on the forums I am relying on reading I did months ago, studies, patient reviews etc. that basically just included meds in the US. I can read the Wikipedia pages for this two but it tends to not be very helpful. Also no receptor affinity data, which I consider very important.

You might have been asking Alchemist but I take Trazodone too. The big thing about Trazodone for me is that it does not build any tolerance, it does not cause withdrawals, it is non-addictive etc. And it can be a very potent sleep med. Almost all other sleep meds rely on antihistamine activity for a big part of their action, this tends to build tolerance over time.

Trazodone is a sleep med that moderately agonizes 5ht1a which I basically think of as the "MDMA" receptor, because agonizing it feels the most like MDMA /ecstasy. It is strongest at antagonizing 5ht2a which is anti-anxiety, sleep-inducing, and also feels good. Moderate antagonist at 5ht2c which may help with anhedonia. It it moderately antagonizes some adrenal receptors which helps your body to calm down. Moderately antagonizes histamine receptors which acts as a sedative. At higher doses it has some SSRI action, significantly higher doses than sleep aid dosage.

It isn't in your blood stream all day so it isn't going to do TOO much during the day. For me it is a sleep med but it also feels great. No effect on appetite or nausea. The weirdest thing about Trazodone is that it significantly boosts your erections! In extreme and unusual cases it can cause an erection that lasts 4+ hours which generally requires ER visit.

Working dx Bipolar II
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:56 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
That's one potent hellraiser mix

I will...

A problem shared is a problem halved

How is your sleep?
Yep today marked one week at 50 mg (I was told to start at 25 and then double it in 4 days or so but I figured I mine as well just work through any start-up effects now and get them over with). I'm feeling a lot better today then I have been and I have noticed my libido returning over the past few days which I'm relieved about.

Sleep is actually not all that bad. I am transitioning from remeron to zoloft and for me, remeron is more sedating as I lower my dose. I have one more night at 7.5 mg (I was at 30 mg initially) and then I will be halving that to 3.25 mg.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Yep today marked one week at 50 mg (I was told to start at 25 and then double it in 4 days or so but I figured I mine as well just work through any start-up effects now and get them over with). I'm feeling a lot better today then I have been and I have noticed my libido returning over the past few days which I'm relieved about.

Sleep is actually not all that bad. I am transitioning from remeron to zoloft and for me, remeron is more sedating as I lower my dose. I have one more night at 7.5 mg (I was at 30 mg initially) and then I will be halving that to 3.25 mg.
How was it for you to be on 30mg of Remeron? Were you always sleepy, weak and lethargic?
And why are you switching over?

Austrian Guy
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:15 PM
SAS Member

When I was at 15 mg I was sleepy a good bit. It would knock me out pretty easily too.

When I got to 30 mg I was fine. I actually felt reeeally good honestly. That feeling of when you get a rush and your hair stands up on your neck - I would have that sort of feeling all the time when I heard a good song or thought about something meaningful. I actually loved remeron and I may go back to it at some point but my primary reason for taking an antidepressant is my OCD which then results in SA, GAD and MDD (which remeron was good for anxiety and depression). Remeron is not very helpful for OCD in my experience so I got back on an SSRI.

My worry with Zoloft is that SSRIs are supposed to be much better for OCD at higher doses, so I'm hoping I won't have to go too high on the zoloft. I'm thinking 75 mg MAX, maybe 100 if it doesn't see any results below that.

And about the Remeron - it made my libido through the roof honestly. I know it can help with SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction but it was at an all time high on my combo of wellbutrin, buspar, and remeron (i think all 3 have the potential to boost libido).
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:17 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
How was it for you to be on 30mg of Remeron? Were you always sleepy, weak and lethargic?
And why are you switching over?
also to explain the sleepiness at a lower dose - I believe it's because lower doses of Remeron (7.5 - 15mg) work more on the histamine receptors while higher doses of 30 mg or 45 mg are activating - work more on the noradrenergic receptors.
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
You might have been asking Alchemist but I take Trazodone too. The big thing about Trazodone for me is that it does not build any tolerance, it does not cause withdrawals, it is non-addictive etc. And it can be a very potent sleep med. Almost all other sleep meds rely on antihistamine activity for a big part of their action, this tends to build tolerance over time.

Trazodone is a sleep med that moderately agonizes 5ht1a which I basically think of as the "MDMA" receptor, because agonizing it feels the most like MDMA /ecstasy. It is strongest at antagonizing 5ht2a which is anti-anxiety, sleep-inducing, and also feels good. Moderate antagonist at 5ht2c which may help with anhedonia. It it moderately antagonizes some adrenal receptors which helps your body to calm down. Moderately antagonizes histamine receptors which acts as a sedative. At higher doses it has some SSRI action, significantly higher doses than sleep aid dosage.

It isn't in your blood stream all day so it isn't going to do TOO much during the day. For me it is a sleep med but it also feels great. No effect on appetite or nausea. The weirdest thing about Trazodone is that it significantly boosts your erections! In extreme and unusual cases it can cause an erection that lasts 4+ hours which generally requires ER visit.

I will keep that in mind.
I am very curious as to what my psychiatrist will suggest...

I am on vacation as off tomorrow morning, so I wish you a nice weekend. I will post something new next week...

Austrian Guy
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
When I was at 15 mg I was sleepy a good bit. It would knock me out pretty easily too.

When I got to 30 mg I was fine. I actually felt reeeally good honestly. That feeling of when you get a rush and your hair stands up on your neck - I would have that sort of feeling all the time when I heard a good song or thought about something meaningful. I actually loved remeron and I may go back to it at some point but my primary reason for taking an antidepressant is my OCD which then results in SA, GAD and MDD (which remeron was good for anxiety and depression). Remeron is not very helpful for OCD in my experience so I got back on an SSRI.
Thank you for your explanation.
I think I will give it a try (hopefully my psychiatrist will prescribe it to me).
I need something that puts me on a normal sleep cycle with much restful sleep (and gives me appetite ^^)

Either that or alternatively Trazodone.

Quote:
My worry with Zoloft is that SSRIs are supposed to be much better for OCD at higher doses, so I'm hoping I won't have to go too high on the zoloft. I'm thinking 75 mg MAX, maybe 100 if it doesn't see any results below that.
That's my worry too.
For most people 50mg are not enough, so upping it to 100mg may be necessary

Quote:
And about the Remeron - it made my libido through the roof honestly. I know it can help with SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction but it was at an all time high on my combo of wellbutrin, buspar, and remeron (i think all 3 have the potential to boost libido).
I hope your female friend / wife enjoyed it

Austrian Guy
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:29 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Thank you for your explanation.
I think I will give it a try (hopefully my psychiatrist will prescribe it to me).
I need something that puts me on a normal sleep cycle with much restful sleep (and gives me appetite ^^)

Either that or alternatively Trazodone.

That's my worry too.
For most people 50mg are not enough, so upping it to 100mg may be necessary

I hope your female friend / wife enjoyed it
haha funny you should say that actually. My gf is on 150 mg of zoloft so her sex drive is relatively nonexistant. Which I must say is making this whole process easier on me because she can relate (and we've been through this process before - 20 mg lex knocked out my drive for a while).

I figure if 50 mg helps but not enough, I'll do a test run on 75 mg before moving up to 100 mg.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

All my wisdom teeth are finally out.
And I am feeling already better *lol* ^^

Quote:
haha funny you should say that actually.
Sorry

Quote:
My gf is on 150 mg of zoloft so her sex drive is relatively nonexistant. Which I must say is making this whole process easier on me because she can relate (and we've been through this process before - 20 mg lex knocked out my drive for a while).
reminds me of this:
Quote:
BTW, when my girlfriend and I were both on Zoloft, sex was a little weird. We would go for a few hours until we were both finally like "All right this is ridiculous, let's watch TV instead." But, it was still fun - it helps when you have a partner with a sense of humor. :-)

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...0/#post1793452
Quote:
I figure if 50 mg helps but not enough, I'll do a test run on 75 mg before moving up to 100 mg.
I have come to the same conclusion.
It definitely has some positive effects on me, but for "full" effect I will have to go up @75mg oder maybe even @100mg.

Austrian Guy
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:40 PM
SAS Member

They can have those negative side effects.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page