X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default A question about Meds...

Hey People,

Right now I've been really clinically depressed and so far this week have found it very hard to fall asleep at night and end up sleeping at about 3am. I also awake at about 4pm so I have been sleeping like 13+ hours which is hypersomnia.

I am on Cipramil (Celexa in USA) 40mg which is 2 tablets after my GP suggested it as it wasn't stopping depressed symptoms on 30mg. Well considering I've been on this dose for over 3 weeks I am getting even more depressed. Four years ago I was on Effexor-xr for about 1 month or 2 and that was worse than Cipramil in terms of sideaffects.

These are the only 2 drugs I've been on. Cipramil I've taken for about 7 years. I know there is a whole market of SSRI's and Benzo's out there but I'm not comfortable with weaning off one and going on to another and using trial and error.

So, right now I'm at the point where I want to wean off Cipramil and pretty much not go on anti depressants ever. They were used to treat my major depressive disorder and chronic social anxiety disorder but I'm pretty much over trying to fight it and want to just accept it and just live.

The times I've had depressive episodes pre-medication were quite severe and would last for months. I would be so utterly paralysed and so anxious I did not know how to control myself.

I know there is a limitation as to what people can say on here regarding meds but from your experiences do you think I am doing the right thing? Sure, I do have "major/clinical depression, severe/chronic social anxiety disorder, mild OCPD, avoidant personality disorder and perfectionism" but I'm fed up of trying to mask them with drugs. I just want to live my life.

Thoughts?

p.s; Once the effects of the meds have subsided, I am looking at therapy for coping with SA, being assertive, lessening my perfectionism and being happy with who I am.

I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks.
Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

No one has anything to say?
I've killed a thread with a single post!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli View Post
Hey People,

Right now I've been really clinically depressed and so far this week have found it very hard to fall asleep at night and end up sleeping at about 3am. I also awake at about 4pm so I have been sleeping like 13+ hours which is hypersomnia.

I am on Cipramil (Celexa in USA) 40mg which is 2 tablets after my GP suggested it as it wasn't stopping depressed symptoms on 30mg. Well considering I've been on this dose for over 3 weeks I am getting even more depressed. Four years ago I was on Effexor-xr for about 1 month or 2 and that was worse than Cipramil in terms of sideaffects.

These are the only 2 drugs I've been on. Cipramil I've taken for about 7 years. I know there is a whole market of SSRI's and Benzo's out there but I'm not comfortable with weaning off one and going on to another and using trial and error.

So, right now I'm at the point where I want to wean off Cipramil and pretty much not go on anti depressants ever. They were used to treat my major depressive disorder and chronic social anxiety disorder but I'm pretty much over trying to fight it and want to just accept it and just live.

The times I've had depressive episodes pre-medication were quite severe and would last for months. I would be so utterly paralysed and so anxious I did not know how to control myself.

I know there is a limitation as to what people can say on here regarding meds but from your experiences do you think I am doing the right thing? Sure, I do have "major/clinical depression, severe/chronic social anxiety disorder, mild OCPD, avoidant personality disorder and perfectionism" but I'm fed up of trying to mask them with drugs. I just want to live my life.

Thoughts?

p.s; Once the effects of the meds have subsided, I am looking at therapy for coping with SA, being assertive, lessening my perfectionism and being happy with who I am.

I'd appreciate any replies. Thanks.
Do a little research and get to know exactly which condition you have ( there are many even for something like depression: dysthymia, cyclothymia, agitated depression, hysteroid dysphoria, clinical/major depression, psychotic depression, etc.) Sometimes the type of depression you have responds well to different drugs, e.g. atypical depression to the MAOIs, while anhedonic depression to TCAs.

That specific SSRI doesn't seem to be working, you could either switch to another SSRI, augment with Wellbutrin or Remeron, switch to a TCA, or switch to an MAOI. Know your depression and then you'll know better which drug you'll respond to.
db0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by db0255 View Post
Do a little research and get to know exactly which condition you have ( there are many even for something like depression: dysthymia, cyclothymia, agitated depression, hysteroid dysphoria, clinical/major depression, psychotic depression, etc.) Sometimes the type of depression you have responds well to different drugs, e.g. atypical depression to the MAOIs, while anhedonic depression to TCAs.

That specific SSRI doesn't seem to be working, you could either switch to another SSRI, augment with Wellbutrin or Remeron, switch to a TCA, or switch to an MAOI. Know your depression and then you'll know better which drug you'll respond to.
Hey thanks for the info.

The condition/s formally diagnosed are: major depression, severe social anxiety disorder, avoidant personality disorder.

I just don't want to take meds anymore, or try another one. I just think they're all the same in my eyes.

I want to see how I go with being off them completely and learning to cope with natural ways like exercise, right brain activities etc. I'll be weaning off slowly though because I've been on since 2002.

I'm very scared however. Actually quite petrified. I'm also getting a blood test (first time in 9 years) to see if I have a thyroid problem. Im also **** scared about that as I hate blood and needles!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

well dude exposure therapy works for social anxiety for me (for about a day or a couple hours) i mean thats if you don't want to take meds and stuff. like just put yourself into a severely stressful social situation, do it over and over agian. sometimes that can destroy the social anxiety for a little while...like desinsitization. but not all meds are the same dude. i mean, SSRIs and SNRIs aren't very good at all and will always make you feel weird. dude maybe it would help if you researched and learned the different chemicals in your brain man, then you would be able to understand the chemical basis of your illness. i mean, it just provides a much better prospective....its not you thats messed up, its your brain which somehow decided to get a chemical imbalance.

well based on your symptoms, i guess like the majority of people on here, you have some abnormality in serotonin function, possibly a deficient dopamine system and overactive glutamate networks in your brain....and possibly too much norepinephrine...... i mean if you decide u wanaa like learn about the neurotransmitters and stuff, like you could start with those ones. i have all the conditions you have...its hard for me to live when not on medications. but if you can do it without medicine , dude thats awesome man. it just takes courage. and willpower.

oh yeah and SSRIs totally, well, are awful. i hate using bad language to describe stuff, cause my OCD doesnt let me use bad language. but SSRIs by themselves are awful. they could perform significantly better if used in conjunction with a dopaminergic agent. and you could use Neurontin or Lyrica, or a Benzo like Xanax or Klonopin in combination with some antidepressant. it doesnt look like youve tried that many meds...youve only tried the crappy ones. the best ones hafta be MAOIs, based on research and studies and all that stuff. if all else fails, consider Nardil, or Parnate,......don't give up yet.
Vini Vidi Vici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not sure what vini is talking about....lot of dude and man in there lol, although definitely on track about the MAOIs.Anyway, not all psychotropic drugs are the same. I find that SSRIs did nothing for me except one in particular that took me past baseline. It was a great time before it pooped out.

SSRIs tend to make you feel sleepy, spaced out, and all that junk, while not really doing anything in the mean time. Conversely, the older drugs shouldn't be shot down either, and I think they deserve to be on the same plane as the SSRIs. The side effects are the main reason why many people down play these drugs, but you, or I, or any other who's suffered from depression, or anxiety will take the side effects if it gives us the relief we want.

I think therapy is a great option and CBT has been shown to rewire the frontal cortex. Older drugs like the TCAs and MAOIs can be MORE effective in some people for depression, it just all depends on the type. The way I see it, when you try SSRIs, and you get that boost in serotonin they say, what does that matter when your real problem is an abundance of MAO that breaks down the serotonin anyway, and gives you no real relief. Research, therapy, knowledge, and the right drug/combination will go a far way.
db0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm even more confused now!

I just don't know how these stupid pills can really help. I mean yes I have only tried effexor-xr and celexa/cipramil but the effects of weaning and getting used to them was a nightmare.

I don't know as much as you guys on all the other types like bezos, MAOI's etc and really don't want to waste my $ trying them. I think it comes down to how I perceive things and situations, how to cope with SA consistently and learning techniques to be strong, assertive, motivated, have my needs and rights met and realise that anxiety and depression are passing phases.

I'm really determined to work on my passive and introverted personality and throw the kitchen sink at it and understand I have nothing to lose. The worst that can happen is death right...so if one can accept that it's ok to be nervous at times and learn to cope and deal with it whenever it arises then logically you can get used to things via repetition.

I think I'm sick of having a crutch and just want to try and develop some tolerance via experiences and personal development. The stuff I deal with like comparing myself to others, looking at what others have that I dont, killing my own self esteem time and time again, being over perfectionistic etc I want to work on. I just want to live my life, be whoever I want to be, express myself the way I see fit and be happy with who I am because there's only 1 me just like there's only 1 of everyone else.

Peace.