X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Medication

Old 06-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question A question about Klonopin cutting

I'm trying to figure out if the trade name Klonopin manufactured by Roche (the one with the "K" cut-out in the middle seen here: http://www.drugs.com/imprints/k-roch...nopin-289.html ) can be successfully cut in half to offer equal doses in both halves or not. I used to have the generic clonazepam (0.5mg) and could fine tune the dosage by easily being able to snap it down the perforation in the middle to make 0.25mg, 0.75mg, 1.25mg etc and would like to know if the same thing can be done with the trade name Klonopin (1mg) that I was recently switched to.

The "K" cut out makes me think it might not be evenly spread out but I'm not really sure. If I got a pill cutter and cut it vertically straight down the center would both half-pieces be an equal 0.5mg? And if I then took one of the two 0.5mg half-pieces and cut it in half horizontally would the two resulting quarter-pieces equal 0.25mg each?

I know cutting pills this way doesn't work with some meds and since there's no perforation on the Klonopin like there is on the generic stuff I figured I should ask to make sure before I rely on those cuts for my dosages. Thanks for any info!
whispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

The answer is "yes". If you split the pill in half horizontally(relating to the right side up of the letter "K") the two half's are identical, its just simple geometry. This is assuming that the medical ingredients in the pill are equally distributed, which I assume they are, or close to perfect.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

i have .50MG KPIN (generic) they are litearlly easy to snap in middle for a .25MG
Old 06-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive View Post
i have .50MG KPIN (generic) they are litearlly easy to snap in middle for a .25MG
The OP is talking about the brand name Roche Klonopin's which are different in shape and appearance as well as they are not scored.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”
--Isaac Asimov

Quitting while you are ahead isn't the same thing as quitting; lesser known fact
Noca is offline   Reply With Quote