My work experiences, am I really abnormal?? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Question My work experiences, am I really abnormal??

Hi

I've been thinking a lot about work lately and determined why I hate it - communicating with people. I work from home, but things like phone calls, instant messages, and even sometimes emails makes me extremely uncomfortable. I originally went to my Dr to ask about ADD because I wasn't getting things done, but I think I'm just avoiding doing things because they make me feel terrible. For example a coworker IMed me asking me to call him.. nope, I didn't. I ignored him. I'll ignore emails if I think the contents will give me anxiety, I won't open them- I'll procrastinate until I get some burst of energy (caffeine) that helps me power through. Sometimes I don't procrastinate and maybe I suck it up and call the person. Do I feel better and accomplished after I do it? No, not one bit, I feel awful and uncomfortable. So there's no reward in "dealing with it."

This might be a stupid question, but how abnormal am I? I used to think this was nothing odd. I see other people picking up phone and having conversations like it's nothing, I used to think they were just extra chatty and extroverted or something.. but are they just normal? If I could figure out how to comfortably communicate with people my job would be SO EASY.

From a social standpoint, well, I have no social life. Just my wife. No friends. I'm fine with that, but I'm sick of this making me hate work.

Does anyone here relate to my work experiences? I'd like to hear your stories and thoughts.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:46 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroudel234 View Post
Hi

I've been thinking a lot about work lately and determined why I hate it - communicating with people. I work from home, but things like phone calls, instant messages, and even sometimes emails makes me extremely uncomfortable. I originally went to my Dr to ask about ADD because I wasn't getting things done, but I think I'm just avoiding doing things because they make me feel terrible. For example a coworker IMed me asking me to call him.. nope, I didn't. I ignored him. I'll ignore emails if I think the contents will give me anxiety, I won't open them- I'll procrastinate until I get some burst of energy (caffeine) that helps me power through. Sometimes I don't procrastinate and maybe I suck it up and call the person. Do I feel better and accomplished after I do it? No, not one bit, I feel awful and uncomfortable. So there's no reward in "dealing with it."

This might be a stupid question, but how abnormal am I? I used to think this was nothing odd. I see other people picking up phone and having conversations like it's nothing, I used to think they were just extra chatty and extroverted or something.. but are they just normal? If I could figure out how to comfortably communicate with people my job would be SO EASY.

From a social standpoint, well, I have no social life. Just my wife. No friends. I'm fine with that, but I'm sick of this making me hate work.

Does anyone here relate to my work experiences? I'd like to hear your stories and thoughts.

Thanks
Maybe you are normal and we aren't. Modern society expects so much from people especially in interaction and "social" media or e-mail, we have to be available all the time with no escape and you're sensitive to that. Try you best to mantain your career because not picking up the phone is not very benificial for work and productivity..
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:50 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sick
Hey, I hope you're still checking this forum because I relate to almost everything you wrote! I don't want you to think you're abnormal/no one else goes through these things, even though I don't think this is the norm, as in the average person's experience. But I suspect a lot of people with SA and maybe some other issues have a hard time calling people/talking on the phone, reading emails or other messages if they're worried about what they'll say, need caffeine or other supplements to do some things, etc. I have those three issues myself. I sometimes feel better after I do something I'm not comfortable doing and nothing goes wrong, but it never helps me do those things again. I really hate phones, especially ringing ones--that's never going to change.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page