Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Getting depressed at work?

592 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Calix64 
#1 ·
I have been working at my new job as a Spanish Interpreter over the phone for two weeks now (finished second week yesterday) Currently we are on training and will continue to be in training for another week (I start my actual job in week 4). The last two days of the week we have been in practicum so now they finished giving us the theory portion and now we are with a coach taking actual calls. By now I have the reputation of being the awkward one and the ones in my class probably have me as the non-social one. I feel very sad during certain moments of the day and even feel like quitting but know that I would struggle to find another job and that Christmas is coming and I could be in a better economic position by then if I continue.

Also, I passed all the theory portion and even the call from the headquarters and if I survive the third week I will get a certification. I am getting a bit nervous during some calls and it's showing. They are correctly helping the customers but my nerves are showing a bit. I hate being the odd one in the group. Yesterday I got so depressed that I left the lunch room and went to my cubicle about mid way through lunch in order to be alone because I hate being the odd one out. I have the feeling that it will be tougher during and after the fourth week (after the next one coming up) but I might feel less depressed since my lunch will be reduced from an hour to a half hour and I will have less time to feel depressed and also I will no longer have to be the odd one out since I won't have to be in a class environment anymore.

I know I will hate the next week because I will keep feeling alone and being the odd one out. I could have probably tried to be a bit more sociable but I couldn't and now I am the odd one out. Some people talked to me early this week (Monday or so) I don't know if out of pity but I continued eating alone after that since I cannot be with a group when I am depressed. Also, I feel a bit bad because I have been paired up with an attractive woman and I wish I could go out with her but I know that I don't have a chance. She has kids and a boyfriend (apparently not the father of the kids). She is probably like 28-30 and I am only 22. On the fifth day of the first week I was changed seats (everyone was) and I was put next to her. I was sad that I wasn't going to see her when we went to practicum (four days after the move) since they moved everyone to the other part of the building and they would most likely pair me up with someone else.

Interestingly, everyone else got paired with someone else but I ended up being paired up with the same woman again. They put one or two people with each coach. I thought it was great at the beginning but now I don't know if it was such a good idea because I wish that I could go out with that woman but I know I don't have a chance. Just imagine I am not even driving at the moment and will have to wait one more week in order to get insurance for my car and start driving because I don't have money at the moment.

I feel like quitting due to depression but I know it will be a dumb move considering if I do a good effort in Practicum I am guaranteed to get my certification on Friday (this Friday) since I passed the quizzes, final exam and even the call from the headquarters. I needed 80 to pass and I got over 90 in all of them. Also, currently due to being in training I am making only $10/hr but after next week when I start on my actual job I will go up to my standard pay rate of $13/hr.

See less See more
#4 ·
No, but I could become an Independent Interpreter after I get some experience. I interpret in a variety of areas including Medical, Legal, Insurance, Banking, Utilities, and even 911. They don't distinguish and have us all as general interpreters rather than just a specific area. I am learning how to interpret for many areas for my certification and will be a general interpreter on the actual job as well. I could potentially after some time become an on-site interpreter for a doctor or a lawyer somewhere else and make more money especially because they are certifying me. It's not like I will interact that much with others outside of the phone calls though since I will be in my own cubicle with a computer and a phone after training. I like the fact that we don't have a real uniform and that the dress code is actually dress clothes. We dress up most of the week and then we have casual Friday.

#3 ·
First of all start taking a book to work and read. Don't just sit there lol. Keep your mind occupied.

Second of all it's normal to feel bad at work when you feel like you don't fit it. Don't let it consume you. Just do your job the best you can and try your best to get to know people. You say you are paired up with the same girl. That's perfect, you have a chance to get closer to her and make a friend. Key word: FRIEND.

And lastly get that crap out of your mind! Think about how pathetic it is to be so desperate that you get romantically obsessed with any girl you interact with. Don't ignore it just because it's unpleasant. Really sit down and think about it. It's a symptom of a bigger problem and you've got to fix that.

The problem isn't work its much much deeper than that and you've got some work to do

#5 ·
@Comeatmebro- Thanks for your reply. A lot of the people there seem friendly but it's my depression and social issues which affect me. I don't feel like I get obsessed with any girl but it has happened occasionally to me over the past few years. It's just that somehow I have to hide my depression and social issues in order to be successful there. My depression is not usually location specific since I have gotten depressed at home as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.