X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Frustration > Work

Old 07-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can't find a job

Anybody else on here eager to go to work but can't find a job? My mom is helping me go to school but I also want a job and I've been unemployed for a while. I'm the kind of person who has to work or I feel like **** all day. I'm 23 years old, I hate sitting in the house all day. Everybody I know is already working and having fun while I'm stuck. It makes you feel like trash, especially when you only have money to put gas in your tank which must be saved.
jc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bump
Old 07-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

in a similar position, finished high school at the end of last year now stuck at home all day. thought it was great at first but now its seriously screwing with my head
kiwiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

A lot of the time, having a job is a matter of "who you know" and not "what you know." So, having social anxiety ruins that aspect of your life. You isolate yourself from potential employers by avoiding people.

I'm in a fortunate situation. My mom is the reason I got into a good graduate program and into a pharmacy. She knew doctors, dentists, and pharmacists and in the meantime, all I had to do what make good grades. At the end of the day, I had to put on a pretty smile during chit chat sessions with my mom's friends and they hooked me up. In fact, I was accepted into pharmacy school because of several pharmacists, doctors, and dentists that my mother knew.

Afterwards, it was pure luck from there. I have one friend who loves videogames and he hooked me up with the job that I have now. Otherwise, I would be in your same boat.

So the difference between bringing in $7,000 per month and $0 per month is who I knew and not WHAT I knew.

I hope for the best for you. Good luck with everything. But unfortunately, life is hard. My life is far from easy. But in terms of finding a job, it is easy. I'm still miserable, though.
Big Game Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

yeah. I want one but i dont get why they tell you to apply online and then when you keep going back they act like you are bothering them etc. God i feel like **** for being unemployed and being that retard. My aunt keeps talking about how she had her first real job at 14. You can just imagine how much i resent her for rubbing it in my face and then saying shes my #1 fan. if she is then I need to just shoot myself.
TheTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

I say go to a temp agency and have them help you get a job. They are really nice and if they see you really want to work they will try and find you a job. Also, if you have never worked before in your life you are going to have to start with working as a grunt. However, that experience will help you move forward and get a longer lasting job in something you will like.
actinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Do you like kids at all? I know a lot of people with SA are uncomfortable with kids but if you're not and you want to try something low-key, you could always try babysitting. I know it's often considered for younger people but I had a friend who babysat during university for extra cash.
blueidealist26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

I've been unemployed for a year and a half. I've worked on projects occasionally during that time, but I made only $10,000 last year. I've worked full-time seven months over the last seven years. I can't get a job, and nobody will even interview me.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I know how you feel.
I've been stuck at home for two years now & I cant find a job.
Its really messing with my head to be home doing nothing all day

If you ever need to talk feel free to PM me
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Dude, I'm in the same boat as you. I've applied in so many places, but I've never gotten called. I haven't had my first job yet. I also hate being home, it's soooooo boring, I like lose my mind sometimes. Plus I don't have any friends or a girlfriend, so it makes it worse because I'm in my head a lot.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
yeah. I want one but i dont get why they tell you to apply online and then when you keep going back they act like you are bothering them etc. God i feel like **** for being unemployed and being that retard. My aunt keeps talking about how she had her first real job at 14. You can just imagine how much i resent her for rubbing it in my face and then saying shes my #1 fan. if she is then I need to just shoot myself.
When she was 14 though, the job market wasn't as competitive. I don't even know where you could work at 14 in this day and age unless you knew somebody. Very few people think wisely when they speak because the world is changing faster now than it ever has.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm in the same situation. I'm going to school online, but that consists of sitting at home on the computer all day. I live with my mom. Most of my friends have places of their own by now. I hate it.
I was able to find a job, but it was in retail and I got so scared about working with people that I backed out, which I hate myself for. Now I'm back looking for something where I can work relatively alone.

but hey at least i'm not the only one...!

oh, and in response to the post before me: I was able to get my first job at 14, but yeah, it was because my mom knew the owner of the place, haha. I think I got paid less than $5/hr.
lesaurores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Being unemployed makes you feel like ****, no doubt. So just get ANY job. Clean toilets, scrub floors, change an old person's nappy. Just to make a start. When you're employed, you might realise that you deserve more than what you're doing, which might give you the boldness to find the sort of work you actually want.
jammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

Relieved to see I'm not the only one without a job...and having all that free time sometimes does mess with my head. I agree with what you guys are talking about.

Having social anxiety limits your options for jobs..which no one seems to understand also!
Michelle lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle lc View Post
Relieved to see I'm not the only one without a job...and having all that free time sometimes does mess with my head. I agree with what you guys are talking about.

Having social anxiety limits your options for jobs..which no one seems to understand also!
This is what I'm experiencing. I've been feeling really depressed lately. Gosh, i feel like punching a wall.
M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #16 (permalink)

I was in your same boat what i did was got some one to help me with my resume and I also looked for jobs online and posted my resume , It seems like the best places to get jobs now is in retail It helps if you call the place and let them know that you filled out an online application that helps .
mybelovedaldra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

ive never had a job
DubnRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

While I have a job, it's a job that's nothing special. I've pretty much wasted my college education. It's been over two years since I've graduated and I'm still working in a meaningless, low-paying job that has nothing to do with my degree in engineering and can hardly be considered "experience".

Despite submitting dozens (if not 100+) applications, I still can't seem to get hired. I've been paying off huge student loans since (most of my paycheck goes to them) and I can't help but feel extreme regret for going to college and choosing that particular field.

If I haven't lost it already, I'll soon be losing that "fresh graduate" status. I'm afraid to go back to college because I don't want to go into more debt without the guarantee of a good job. Quite a life I've carved out for myself, I really don't know what to do about it anymore. Looks like I'll be able to move out of my Mom's house when I'm 40, when I can finally afford to.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

I acquired a job (part-time, minimum wage) thanks to the assistance of a family friend. It's hard out there, no doubt about it. Just keep looking and follow up with your resume/application submission. Retail stores might be the way to go. Seasonal job openings and all that jazz. If it makes you feel any better, my father has yet to find work. He got laid off a few months back, and he's been in the mechanical engineering industry for over thirty years. So young, old, experienced, inexperienced--it doesn't matter. Millions of folks are in the same boat. You are not alone. And even people WITH jobs are struggling day to day. I, personally, am dreading the day my deferment period ceases. Four months and counting...

Singing sweet savages lost in our world
This big eyed girl sees her faces unfurl
Now she's in purple, now she's the turtle
Disintegrating

Siouxsie and the Banshees--"Christine"

The Misery Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

Same boat. I've been looking for work and have yet to even catch a break. It baffles me how hard and competitive the job market is today. My mom keeps saying, Wow, it wasn't like this when I was your age. And that's because the job market wasn't as competitive as it is today. No doubt my generation is having a hard time trying to find work. Weird thing is I know people who somehow manage to find jobs with ease, even though they're not exactly what you call smart, knowing their mental/brain capacity. It makes me wonder how they even got past the interview process, knowing how brutal that can be. No idea, but I can't help but feel bitter about it. I'm trying to work on my interview skills by rehearsing a lot of difficult questions and actually watching my facial expressions while I talk. I'm trying to smile more, even though it feels so fake and forced. Basically, I'm trying to build this Stepford Wife personality to wear in a job setting. You know, all smiley and happy but without the botox. And whenever I leave an application I always make sure to leave it with the manager as he goes through it. Sometimes I'll get a glimmer of hope but it always gets crushed in the end when they say they aren't interested. Blegh. I don't know what else to do but to keep trying. I do get frustrated too often over this. It's so hard trying to find work today, and it's soul crushing.

Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote