X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 09-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would you like to have Schizoid Personality Disorder?

Schizoids tend to be socially inept, loners, are not interested in having friends. Pretty much the same as people with SA but with the added advantage that they are not interested in having friends.

Do you wish you had Schizoid PD?
lundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not schizoid, but really an introvert, so I'm not interested in having friends. The bad part is, that everybody thinks I'm abnormal because of not wanting friends or a boyfriend...
Elisa littleboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I feel the exact same way. I am extremely introverted too and my family thinks that I am not living life because I dont have ALOT of Friends and a boyfriend. I guess I just dont want a lot of friends and not having a boyfriend doesnt make someone abnormal either. I dont think its a bad thing.
and wash the ruins of your life
VivaEmptinessRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

My first though; it could seem like people with schizoid disorder experience less pain, because of the fact that they generally don't have a longing for friends etc, but when all comes to all, I'm sure that they have their fair share of issues too and the last thing that I need is another disorder added.

Interesting question though.
PinkIllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Instead of SA?
I think so.
I don't like the feeling of wanting friends.
I get jealous when I see groups of friends together.
And when groups of friends comment on pictures and have this massive conversation under a picture on facebook.
I think that w/o the feeling that I want friends, I would be much more happier with my life.
Ricebunnyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRibbon View Post
Doubt it. Even though both can feel totally disconnected, I think having SPD would give you a extra profound sense of alienation. Not having basic human needs and desires must me hard to reconcile with.
I don't think so.
lundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

no. to me, someone with a disorder like that is defective. the reason they don't care is because they're not seeing things for what they are and feeling how they should feel.
plus.one symptom is "shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affectivity. "
bluedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I honestly do kind of want to be schizoid, cause they dont want friends, wanting friends and notbeing able to get them is complete pain and misery.
memoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

They also suffer from mild visual and auditory hallucinations. But unlike schizophrenics they can tell they aren't real.

"Well I've tried everything but suicide. And, yes, it's crossed my mind... but I'm fine" - Gnarls Barkley

"I pray to be the person my dog thinks I am" - Church billboard

"A dead body changes things"- Carlton Lassiter
StickyFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Nope no thanks

"The greatest misery in adverse fortune is once to have been happy" -Boethius

"The only thing that i know is that I know nothing"- Socrates
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

I don't think anyone wishes they had a personality disorder. It's like having a disability...
deeds14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

http://www.youtube.com/v/BLHao_k0BmI
Haiku McEwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Schizoid visitor here. Schizoids are like "normal" people except we enjoy our own company more than the company of others. We're self-sufficient. And, in connection to social anxiety, I've never been anxious to be in my own presence. StickyFingers, we don't suffer from any hallucinations, despite what the omniscient internets may have led you to believe. SPD is just a certain type of personality that has been labeled a "disorder" because it's uncommon. I personally don't feel any "profound sense of alienation". I just don't have the need for friends that most people do.
SQMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedragon View Post
no. to me, someone with a disorder like that is defective. the reason they don't care is because they're not seeing things for what they are and feeling how they should feel.
plus.one symptom is "shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affectivity. "
People with Schizoid PD can display equivalent levels of anxiety from those with avoidant/social anxiety traits.

They both avoid the same things in life despite being different and saying that a schizoid is "emotionally cold" is equivalent to saying that people with social anxiety have pathological fear. It's ridiculous because explains nothing and it's simply stating the obvious.

They simply cannot express their feelings the same way you cannot avoid having a heart attack when speaking in public (in fact, if you want to know if a schizoid doesn't feel anything, force him to have too much social contact without any control and you will find out soon enough if he "doesn't care" about anything).

It's not true they don't have feelings, as in "care for others" (the people who fits this criteria are those with antisocial personality disorder). The Wiki article explains this part:

Schizoids use fantasy to form a relationship with the world and with others by proxy. It is a substitute relationship, but a relationship nonetheless, characterized by idealized, defensive, and compensatory mechanisms.

It is an expression of the self-in-exile because it is self-contained and free from the dangers and anxieties associated with emotional connection to real persons and situations.

It is "an expression of the self struggling to connect to objects, albeit internal objects. Fantasy permits schizoid patients to feel connected, and yet still free from the imprisonment in relationships. In short, in fantasy one can be attached (to internal objects) and still be free
Footix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm not a diagnosed schizoid, but I am going with the schizoid's side since I can relate to them easily. This is not a self-diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkIllusion View Post
My first though; it could seem like people with schizoid disorder experience less pain, because of the fact that they generally don't have a longing for friends etc, but when all comes to all, I'm sure that they have their fair share of issues too and the last thing that I need is another disorder added.

Interesting question though.
Actually, they do not necessarily experience less pain due to the fact that schizoids dislikes having people talking to them which is due to the trait of deep lack of interest being around other people. They're better off spending some time in solitude or alone moments because that's the kind of environment that they enjoy to go through. Their brain is wired strongly for introspection and solitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyFingers View Post
They also suffer from mild visual and auditory hallucinations. But unlike schizophrenics they can tell they aren't real.
Even though schizoid symptoms are found to be mirrored of the schizophrenia symptoms. One of the key differences is that schizoids don't have high dopamine levels or excessive dopamine level close to the level of schizophrenics.
Reptillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footix View Post

Schizoids use fantasy to form a relationship with the world and with others by proxy. It is a substitute relationship, but a relationship nonetheless, characterized by idealized, defensive, and compensatory mechanisms.
Sounds fu cked up to me. I don't think it's the same normalness as Social Anxiety, but more like abnormal.
bluedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundgren View Post
Schizoids tend to be socially inept, loners, are not interested in having friends. Pretty much the same as people with SA but with the added advantage that they are not interested in having friends.

Do you wish you had Schizoid PD?
A big NO!

I'd rather have fun in life and be successful.
johnkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

Lack of friends doesn't mean that they can't be happy.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedragon View Post
Sounds fu cked up to me. I don't think it's the same normalness as Social Anxiety, but more like abnormal.
Welcome to the desert... of the real.

I am sorry, but we are all fu cked up in many levels. Believing that your life would be a lot better if you were "normal" it's nothing but wishful thinking. Like saying only rich people can find happiness.

Yeah, right. It's just another way of being imprisoned. All rich fellas that I ever knew were the most unhappy folks in the world. They had so much money, and at the same time diseases, suffering, pains and fears... and we on the other side wasting ourselves and doing everything for the sake of nothing but a imaginary life, leading ourselves to a futile, useless existence.

http://www.youtube.com/v/4W9Cs6KPTus
Old 09-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Spoken like a man who admits the truth, Footix.