X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Worry about people reading my mind

I often worry about people being able to read my mind or just knowing about something I did or didn't do or say, or even how I feel about something, such as opinions etc. I don't even know if this is SA related or like some kind of obsessional thought...anyone else feel this way? Lots of time, I often end up acting weirdly or acting in a way that would prevent them for thinking a certain thing or being able to read me...if that makes sense.
rachelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah, the same thing happens to me. I do the whole acting weirdly thing as well. Even with strangers, I'll get this feeling that they somehow "know something about me" even though I know that's impossible, the thought is still there, and bothers me. It's like, even posting here while somebody else is in the room. I feel as if they somehow know what I'm typing/thinking, even if there not even paying attention to what I'm doing. I have a big problem with that. I sometimes won't even use the computer when other people are in the room just for that reason. I think it's a "what if they knew?" type of thing. I don't really express my opinions to anyone at all, so the idea of them reading my mind, is almost as bad as if they actually knew what I was thinking.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes.

When I am with other people, even ones I have never met before, I feel like they can see right through me and know what a loser and loner I am; sort of like reading my mind. It is very unnerving.
jim695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

I sometimes feel like this but more so because I feel as though my body language gives me away. If you're trying to discuss something & your body language is tense then if feels as though people can read your mind because they pick up on your overall vibe.

"Woman I'm troubled,
I be all worried in mind,
Well baby I just can't be satisfied,
And I just can't keep from crying"

Youtube ~ Facebook ~ SoundCloud ~ Reverbnation
Canadian Brotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I often feel like that it's like people know me without really knowing me,they can pick up my "something is wrong with me vibe" I can just tell,the way they look at me and when they talking to me on the phone or in person...I feel what u sayin it's annoying....it's like they try to size you up.
Moody99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I used to think people could hear my thoughts, but that was because people would very often say something in response to what I had just thought. It used to scare me a lot. I got so paranoid that I thought maybe I only thought I was thinking things, but in actual fact I was saying them out loud. I would even stop myself from thinking things just incase the people I was with could hear what I was thinking. Sometimes I would think "If you can hear me, please let me know". I realise now it was almost certainly paranoia. Either that, or telepathy's actually possible...

I think it's supposed to be a precursor to schizophrenia. Oh dear.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, that's why I wear tinfoil hats.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvr6 View Post
Yeah, that's why I wear tinfoil hats.
Ah yes, the ol' tinfoil hats. They look silly, but the piece of mind they give is invaluable.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yup I have this fear too sometimes and it's mostly an obsessional thought/fear. For me it mostly comes from my last girlfriend. She was always dead convinced that I could read her mind because I could always figure out what she was dropping hints about. The fact that the girl was anything but subtle made it kinda easy to figure out what she was thinking. I never did tell her that though.
thisisfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

OMG! I thought I was the only one. I've been feeling this way for like 5 years now! Constantly thinking that people could read my mind, know my intentions, feel my mood, what I'm going to do, etc. Particularly the thoughts part. I would walk around on the streets, and think that complete strangers could read right through me. It used to be much worse, but it goes up and down with me. It's a huge problem, because like people have said, I act not according to how I think sometimes to "throw people off". It's ridiculous and I feel like I'm not being sincere, but can't help it. It confuses the **** out of me. Anyone have solutions on how to overcome this? I have no friends except for my roommate and this makes getting friends much more difficult.
LonelyHeart87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyHeart87 View Post
OMG! I thought I was the only one. I've been feeling this way for like 5 years now! Constantly thinking that people could read my mind, know my intentions, feel my mood, what I'm going to do, etc. Particularly the thoughts part. I would walk around on the streets, and think that complete strangers could read right through me. It used to be much worse, but it goes up and down with me. It's a huge problem, because like people have said, I act not according to how I think sometimes to "throw people off". It's ridiculous and I feel like I'm not being sincere, but can't help it. It confuses the **** out of me. Anyone have solutions on how to overcome this? I have no friends except for my roommate and this makes getting friends much more difficult.
I'm pretty much free of thinking like that now. I came to the conclusion that it was SO unlikely that anyone could actually hear my thoughts, and that if anyone could then I'm sure they'd have said something by now, that I stopped being scared.

Just think from time to time when you're around poeple "can you hear me?". If they say "yes", then you can start worrying; if they say nothing, you can safely assume they can't hear you.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Not to make your guy's situations worse. But many people are empaths and they can feel everything that you feel and judge everything going on in your head in relation to the current situation just by your facial expressions and body language. Voice tone too. And often very very very accurately.

Actually, as a social anxiety board, I would believe many of you here are empaths and I believe a lot of that social anxiety can be caused by the very nature of having that gift. Because you know you can get in people's heads and follow all their thought patterns, feelings, and roadways. Having this ability scares you because at the same time you think people can do it to you. And that's what can cause a great fear.

The plus side, if it annoys you when people do it, then just do it to them right back.

And wear sunglasses
beaches09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

yeah I used to be really paranoid about my thoughts, I even thought people could steal them from me and vice versa (yea I guess I was crazy) .. but if others can read me then the only reason that I would get disturbed by it is if I wasn't confident and comfortable with the thoughts/feelings I had. I thought having a poker face would save me.. but it didn't work.. so I just came to that conclusion and I don't really care whether other people can read me like that(as much) anymore
engima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

I used to have this back in HS 10 th grade to be exact. It got so bad that I went to the school shrink to see if people could hear my thoughts and tell what was going on in my head. I think back on this now and I somewhat feel like a fool. But back then I did not know who else to go to, and I thought I was the only one with this issue. It kept going on til 12th grade , I slowly became aware that I was being completely paranoid, and I must stop thinking this way. I am in college now and I sometimes have those thoughts but I tell myself that its just paranoia.
glittergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

What did you do, or how did you deal with it?
M8Cerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

I don't think that people can literally "hear my thoughts" but I do feel I have a hard time hiding my true feelings. My sa has gotten so bad that I can't hide it anymore and people of course can pick up that something is wrong. It makes me feel weak and vulnerable.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

I don't think people can read my thoughts but I have such low self esteem it always surprises me that people try to talk to me like i'm just a normal guy. I usually can't think of anything to say and then they think i'm stand offish. I feel like such a sad, defeated thing most times it's like a self fufilling prophecy. I can't imagine anyone treating me other than how I feel about myself.

If I thought people where literally reading my thoughts though that would disturb me and I would seek psychiatric help.
screwjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelynn View Post
I often worry about people being able to read my mind or just knowing about something I did or didn't do or say, or even how I feel about something, such as opinions etc. I don't even know if this is SA related or like some kind of obsessional thought...anyone else feel this way? Lots of time, I often end up acting weirdly or acting in a way that would prevent them for thinking a certain thing or being able to read me...if that makes sense.
OMGssH i tthe same problem i take showers and use the bathroom in the dark because i feel like sombodys watchinq me and i also deal with the problem u have wer u act weird my family just thinks im weird it just makes u want to commit suicide to qet rid of people in ur head.
BloodyAnnieKillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Nobody can read your mind. They can however read your reactions and make their own judgements. That doesn't make their judgements correct though.

Remember, if you look at someone and think they are reading your mind, you are doing the same exact thing that you are complaining about in your post - people can read my mind.
njnuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

People read your body language, not your mind.
Sunshine009 is offline   Reply With Quote