why do i talk as if im SLOW/mono tone/SLOW/boring/slow!!! - Social Anxiety Forum
X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 04-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default why do i talk as if im SLOW/mono tone/SLOW/boring/slow!!!

whenever someone says something to me i can only say something stupid like " why? " or " uhhh no " or " oh ok " i should be able to say like 5 amusing words, loud and energetic, what in the **** is wrong with me
ruinMYlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think it's a part of sa. Your mind goes blank so you blurt out the easiest response instead of processing the information and thinking about what to say.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Not really a big thing - don't let that hinder you. Everyone probably has that stage in their life. You might let yourself get comfortable with what you wish to say in a certain situation. Try rehearsals if you have to, that will help boost your own confidence if you are able to concentrate on the transactions, not the person on the receiving end.

No, it doesn't make you look silly or boring, you just need to find your inner strength to communicate. Watch a few TV shows or movies, focus on what the characters say and why they interact in that way. Get used to it, you'll be fine.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvr6 View Post
I think it's a part of sa. Your mind goes blank so you blurt out the easiest response instead of processing the information and thinking about what to say.
X2

I find myself taking short cuts in conversations as well. It's like I want to say more but, I've got nothing. Sometimes I'll try to expand and hit a brick wall which just makes the situation worse. Perhaps its what I hate the worst about SA, just not being able to maintain conversation flow.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

At least you talk slowly, people always say I talk too fast especially during oral presentations/ class discussions. Even though it feels like a 2 hour talk, they say it's 30 seconds. You should be proud of your ability to speak like a normal person!
frightened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvr6 View Post

Exactly. lol what I love about this site is how we all share a lot of traits and characteristics. I had a job training thing yesterday where I had to meet new people and I found it SOOO hard to sound energetic even though I was excited about the job (cleaning at an amusement park, yes, I like cleaning lol its a behind-the-scenes job). At home I run around and sometimes I never shut up lol. I always sound excited. But around new people? It felt so forced! And its SO hard to speak up
Dreamer'sHideaway is offline   Reply With Quote