X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 08-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why am I so scared to go to college?

I've been out of highschool since 04 now and I still haven't taken a single college class. I just can't force myself to. I don't know why but its probably my biggest fear right now in my life. Just thinking of being in a room with like 30 or more people makes me wanna hide. I just can't do it. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm the only one I know that has this fear.
ThirdEyeGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
dez

Default Re: Why am I so scared to go to college?

I've had school anxiety for as long as I can remember. It's something I still struggle with as I am forcing myself to complete a bfa. I've been in and out of post secondary studies since my late teens because of this problem. You're not alone.
dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

but atleast your taking classes, or whatever your doing. I don't know what a bfa is.
ThirdEyeGrind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Iric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilEthereal
but atleast your taking classes, or whatever your doing. I don't know what a bfa is.

I think I have something that may help you: Online Classes
Old 08-25-2007, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
dez

^ Online classes depends on the type of courses you're taking and on your professors. That option isn't always available.

AprilEthereal, yes I'm taking classes but it's been prolonged because of this problem. Maybe try speaking to a counselor on campus and have them set you up with accommodations. If you don't like sitting in a lecture hall among the crowd, get a notetaker. If you can't concentrate when writing an exam, get a private room. That sort of thing.
dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was afraid to go to college because of all the people there and I was scared too. But I did it and its not that bad actually, So far I like it more than high school.. and believe me o.O high school was really bad for me I was a big loner and didnt really have any friends(I have hard time opening up and talking). You have alot more freedom in college(like eat/attend/leave whenever you want) and it seems like no one really pays attention to what you do because theres so many other people/things they are worrying about . I actually like the big lectures.. I mean yea thers alot of people, but you could always sit at the top by yourself if you want and no one would bother you.(thats what I do) If you survived high school I think you can do college if you try. If alot of people really scare you.. maybe try imagining that no one is paying attention to you and you can do w/e you want. (thats what I do and it helps me get through big crowds).
Moonlite7189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

AprilEthereal, have you enrolled in a school yet? If you haven't, have you considered applying at a smaller college? Not all colleges have classes with 30+ students. DS and I have just begun his college search and one of the criteria is that the classes are small. We've discovered that there are schools out there that are positively tiny!

Some of the smallest (under 50 undergraduate students TOTAL) are very specifically religious. I assume they are preparing the students for a life in that religion's service. I don't know if that's something you're interested in or not. If you can go a bit higher in enrollment (100 - 1,500 students total) there are a number of schools that might be a good fit for you. Classes would be smaller, maybe 10 - 15 students and maybe that wouldn't be as daunting as a larger environment. Something else to consider if you need to live on campus. Look for a school with family-type housing. Some schools have dorms with fewer than 25 residents.

Perhaps trying to find a small school would help?
Old 08-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

I totally know how you feel because I'm the same way. I graduated this past January and have no intention of going to college. I'd love to go, I probably have to go in order to get a good job and be able to live on my own someday, but it's just way too scary. It doesn't help that I left public school in 7th grade and did independent study until I graduated so I haven't even been in a classroom environment with people my age since I was like 11-12 years old.

For me the biggest issue is seeing old friends. I know the majority of my old classmates go to the community college I would have to go to. It's seriously like my worst nightmare seeing old friends and having them find out about my lack of social life. It's so embarrassing.
But I'm not prepared to die
No more a human being
Just a fool of anxiety
Unable to escape
The darkest insanity
Bad Religion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymsmom
AprilEthereal, have you enrolled in a school yet? If you haven't, have you considered applying at a smaller college? Not all colleges have classes with 30+ students. DS and I have just begun his college search and one of the criteria is that the classes are small. We've discovered that there are schools out there that are positively tiny!

Some of the smallest (under 50 undergraduate students TOTAL) are very specifically religious. I assume they are preparing the students for a life in that religion's service. I don't know if that's something you're interested in or not. If you can go a bit higher in enrollment (100 - 1,500 students total) there are a number of schools that might be a good fit for you. Classes would be smaller, maybe 10 - 15 students and maybe that wouldn't be as daunting as a larger environment. Something else to consider if you need to live on campus. Look for a school with family-type housing. Some schools have dorms with fewer than 25 residents.

Perhaps trying to find a small school would help?
I went to a small Lutheran ran school. They didn't force religion down my throat. It was like any other college. I thought they were more liberal then the Community College I went to prior. A lot of my classes only had 15 in them. The most I had was 40 and the reason for that is they only had one class. It was in a lecture hall. That was the only class I had in the lecture hall.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm in the same boat. I had a traumatic MS/HS experience, and it's been really difficult for me to go back to school. I did independent study from 16-18; I'm 20 years old now.

I don't have any advice to offer, but I will say you're not alone.
User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Joy

You're definitely not alone - I'm terrified of college! I haven't even graduated high school yet, because I'm too afraid of being in a classroom setting. I skipped about 1/2 of my classes ever since grade 6. ;O

I plan on taking some kind of psychology program in college. I think I'd be more comfortable in the class, and maybe people will be more understanding of my quietness/nervousness/weirdness lol. I could be wrong, but I met a few people at work who happen to be majoring in psychology/sociology at a local university, and actually became friends with them. One of them actually suffered from social anxiety in high school, but eventually got over it for the most part.

Sorry for the rant, lol. Maybe it's a dumb idea, but it's the only idea I've been able to come up with that doesn't involve seeing a psychiatrist.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy
You're definitely not alone - I'm terrified of college! I haven't even graduated high school yet, because I'm too afraid of being in a classroom setting. I skipped about 1/2 of my classes ever since grade 6. ;O

I plan on taking some kind of psychology program in college. I think I'd be more comfortable in the class, and maybe people will be more understanding of my quietness/nervousness/weirdness lol. I could be wrong, but I met a few people at work who happen to be majoring in psychology/sociology at a local university, and actually became friends with them. One of them actually suffered from social anxiety in high school, but eventually got over it for the most part.

Sorry for the rant, lol. Maybe it's a dumb idea, but it's the only idea I've been able to come up with that doesn't involve seeing a psychiatrist.
I took quite a few classes in Psyche and Sociology for my Human Services degree. I was pretty much a basket case when I started college, but as time went on I got better and better. I ended up being pretty successful in college then after. All I can say is to take it one day at a time. Sometimes the anticipatory anxiety is the worse then the actual event.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

I found it to be mostly fine anxiety wise. There are lots of people but you're not expected to be social I don't think anyone notices if you just keep to yourself.
Having to do the occasional presentation is a killer though..
unnamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

I was as scared to go to college as you have been, and, to be honest, the first week WAS a nightmare. I frequently thought about running away from the campus during that time, but I'm gradually feeling better. You should at least give it a try.

Tried(Med.): Xanax, Valium, Ativan, Zoloft, Inderal, Tenormin, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro, Adderall, Effexor, Emsam, Nardil, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Remeron, Lamictal, Abilify, Pristiq

Tried(Sup.): Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Kava Kava, Rhodiola Rosea, Omega-3

Tried(Therapy): CBT
styler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

-
bright572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

I couldn't do it either...if I went to college I'd have to do it online or something. High school[and elementary/middle school] was hell enough for me...I don't need to relive it.
Plus, I don't think I could pass the math.
Shauna The Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

In my experience with college, I preferred the larger class. Why???

Well, in the smaller class, there was usually more group work and presentations. You're usually called on a lot, too, because the teacher can remember everyone's name. You get lots of attention.

In a larger class, some teachers don't even attempt to take role. They know your face but not your name. So, you rarely get called on. You have one presentation at the most and rarely do group work.
In my experience, the larger class has been one where the teacher teaches the entire time. So, I just get a seat in the back.
Instead of feeling like everyone's looking at me, I get to look at the back of their heads.
Much Better!
mshopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

I just started college this week. I was nervous about going all year. Mostly because its a completely different campus and I have to start over with making friends, which is tough for me.

So far, I like the bigger classes that I have because no one gets called on unless you are asking a question. As for the smaller classes, I'm kind of nervous because we're starting group and partner work soon.

Haven't really met anyone yet, but hopefully that will change. When I first got there on orientation day, I was freaking out inside. There were so many people. I've been getting use to it though. Most people seem nice, I just have get the confidence to start talking to them.

Its only been three days, but my view of college is hopeful. I don't think it'll be as bad as i though it would be now that I'm here.
su0iruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Congrats on starting. I can see college as a good experience not only for learning and getting a better job, but also for making friends since you're in a social environment. I'm just so scared though. I don't know when or if I'll ever make a move. It's so funny though, people I know who are nervous about college, I tell them "Yeah, you'll be nervous at first, but once you get settled in, I'm sure you'll be fine and things will get easier." HAHA I can dish out advice instead of taking it. Then again, the people I say that to don't have SA, they just have the regular nervousness people tend to have when they go to college, not the overwhelming anxiety like I would have. I don't think I could do the dorm thing. I can imagine being balled up in the corner of the room, afraid to do anything.

Anyone who can go to college or even go out of state to college amazes me. I just think it's so brave and I admire that.
Though I'm beyond belief
In the help I require
Just to exist at all
Took a long time to stand
Took an hour to fall

Elliott Smith
Razorblade Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote