Weekends depressing? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Unhappy Weekends depressing?

I don't know about everyone else but I find the weekends to be particularly depressing. Considering that I can't remember the last time I've actually gone out socializing, its really depressing when I'm sitting home alone on friday and saturday nights thinking that I could be out meeting people and whatnot if I could just get my anxiety under control. Just wondering if others can empathize with me...

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:26 PM
UnDeRrAtED

I have been feeling the same way the past ten years of stagnation

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Not wearing pants

I usually spend Friday and Saturday nights in my room on the internet. I'll either do homework, play games, read, or just sit around overanalyzing past events and work myself into a such an anxious state that I won't be able to function properly for an hour.

Either that or I work, which is as close to socializing as I get.

I'd guess that the majority of posters here don't usually go out on weekends.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Daydreaming

To me, any day, weekend or weekday, it's all the same.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:40 PM
SAS Member

ugh every weekend has been the same lately. idont know how to *****in meet people aftr college. ugh and im hating it. its making me sad
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 06:33 PM
SAS Member

Movies, PS3, internet, gym and eating - another relaxing weekend for me.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:12 PM
SAS Member

yea staying in used to be my thing
even when i had friends i would not enjoy myself just because of the anxiety and peer pressure to belong for once
however, i broke out of that stage eventually, but now im stuck with it again
sitting home sounds nice, but it gets frustrating after doing it for 10 years
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.

I feel so lonely on the weekends. I spend my time writing scholarship essays even though I know I have a minimal chance against thousands of other applicants. I like to write, plus I guess there's still that very small shard of hope I'll win one.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:20 PM
anhedonic

No, not really. I have to work for about 11 hours every weekend, but other than that, I don't mind it. For the most part, I'm fine being alone.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:28 PM
SAS Member

My Friday night routine:

1.) Come home around eight. Spend as much time in the library as one can tolerate in the hopes that by the time I return home, my roommates will have already gone out (in case they should *gasp* invite me to tag along).

2.) Invent some project that requires I stay home, in case one of my roommates should find me anyways.

3.) Throw dinner in microwave, retreat quickly to room. Any non-microwaveable dinner takes too long to prepare, and increases the risk of exposure.

4.) Sit in room, surf the internet. Convince myself that by being isolated, I won't become just another silly member of society.

Note: On particularly wild weekends, I may watch a torrented movie. Movie theatres, once again, require a venture into the public.

Anyways, I do find some comfort that many of the experiences I have read about on these boards are so similair to mine. It gives me some hope that their may be light at the end of the tunnel!
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:32 PM
SyN
SAS Member

Yeah, weekends are depressing when you have nothing to do. This is the first weekend at college since I've been here that I've had nothing to do, but that's only because the first friend I've made was kind of my only one. I tend to do that a lot - meet one person and just kind of hang out with them. I know people that he knows and I talk to them but I don't really have a back up person to talk to to do anything with. I need to meet more people.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:47 PM
SAS Member

My weekends are really depressing too. :'(
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 07:56 PM
SAS Member

i'm so depressed...

why do i look forward to weekends...
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 08:00 PM
SAS Member

I'm even the only one online pretty much on the weekends. :'(
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:01 PM
SAS Member

Yeah, mine kinda suck sometimes (like tonight, ahem, Saturday night and I'm on here... lame). I'd love to go out to the bar, but I don't really have anyone to go out with. I don't fit in with the people my age from work, so it's kind of limiting.

On the bright side, at least I'm not depressed. Just bored. Sounds like most people are bored on here anyways.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 PM
SAS Member

Orcaholic,

Why don't you call your friends and ask them to chill? I highly doubt people don't invite you out because you're an "embarrassment" (that would be the social anxiety talking). Your friends probably see you being quiet and don't think you're enjoying yourself. People always ask me a million times when I'm out with a new group if I'm having fun (because I get so shy).
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Hear, See , Be silent

I only like weekends because I don't work other than that it's pretty much the same as a weekday.

"I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." - Henry Rollins
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 09:49 PM
SAS Member

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:17 PM
looking for help..

Weekends are lonely times....Thats why I went searching for this place and signed up just today. I'm totally desperate for something to change.

Friday night I sat at home and worked on a paper. Been doing the same thing since 8:30 this morning.......no messages, no texts, no calls. Days just blend together =(
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 10:21 PM
looking for help..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcaholic2001 View Post
My weekends are really depressing too. :'( I have like very few friends and I always hope that they will want to hang out with me or spend time with me but sadly it never happens. And its probably because of me ... because im not "normal" like their other friends & they probably worried i would do something stupid. :'( I guess i really just dont fit in. :'( I cant even remember the last time i got to do something with friends on the weekend, probably because maybe i never did. The weekends for me are so empty, I wake up and go to the store with my grandma, then come home to just sit here hoping for company that ill never get. Then i just think about how it really sucks to be me. I try to do stuff... but with everyone else in my family having stuff to do and going out with friends.. even my mother goes out. I'm so alone...
=( its so hard to put yourself out there..I know exactly what you mean. It just feels so impossible. I just sit at home and study most of the time, and when I do get the chance to go out, I feel terrible and shy and people just think I'm being rude.. I can really relate to this feeling, my heart goes out to you!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page