X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default tremors (mouth and face twitches)

I was diagnosed with essential tremor a few years ago. First I was just glad I knew what it was, but it began to bother me last year, so I went again and he subscribed me Propranolol (bčtablocker).

Works pretty good I must say, tremors aren't gone, but at least it's better. The main reason I wanted the medication though was because of my trembling/twitching mouth (I don't know a better way to describe it).

Everytime I get nervous and I laugh, my mouth starts to twitch like crazy. The Propranolol (3x40mg a day) doesn't seem to help with this. People notice this, so sometimes I just don't laugh (makes me look arrogant) or I try to act like I didn't hear it or I look away. Just because I don't want to be embarassed.

This is really getting to me because I have a very social life. When it's my birthday I try to drink enough (alcohol seems to solve this trembling mouth problem - that's why I think it's partly my condition essential tremor / partly a form of social anxiety - before I have to open any presents.

I'm always anticipating situations where I will have to laugh and my mouth twitches will get noticed. It's really starting to ruin my life, because laughing is one of the most important things people should do. I don't want to be drunk to be able to laugh normally...

Does anyone recognize this? Please help me out. Thank you.
peter19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: tremors (mouth and face twitches)

I have been suffering with essential tremors since late childhood. I have it in my hands. It gets worse when I am stressed. Also, when I first wake up it is bad and I can't hardly hold on to anything. My mom has them and her mom had them. I am not taking anything for them. I have been just living with them. But mom said they will get worse as I get older. I probably will have to start taking meds for them. It is so embarrassing when I am doing some fine motor movement and people have to comment on it. Look at the freak and his shaking hands. One time one of the staff wanted me to take a picture of them standing with my supervisor for a client that we use to serve that moved downstate. I didn't want to do it, because my hands shake so much. The one staff had to make fun of me. Well I don't make fun of her seizure disorder. I have a neurological condition that I can't control just like her seizures.
yooper: yah
troll: no school, man, it was sweet
yooper: you closed school for three feet of snow?!?!??!?
troll: you like excessive punctuation, don't you?
copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

to peter
seriously try chewing gum when its bad
it always helps to learn new ways of calming and distracting yourself, generally known as CBT
arthur56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you but I don't think chewing gum is a solution, don't forget there is a fysical side to the mouth tremor also (essential tremor) ; this means even when i'm 100% relaxed my mouth will still shake most of the time time when I (try to) smile... Also, it mostly irritates me when in meetings, so chewing gum is not really an option there.

I'm sure more people recognize this, any tips on other medication?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter19 View Post
Everytime I get nervous and I laugh, my mouth starts to twitch like crazy. The Propranolol (3x40mg a day) doesn't seem to help with this. People notice this, so sometimes I just don't laugh (makes me look arrogant) or I try to act like I didn't hear it or I look away. Just because I don't want to be embarassed.
I relate to this very much. And also the fact that Propranolol doesn't seem to help much with the twitching in the mouth and cheeks.
savroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

A combination of Propranolol (40mg) and Xanax (0,5mg) as-needed ; works better, but still not enough... I have a subscription for Mysoline now (for my ET) - any experiences with this?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Can someone please explain the difference between a tremor and a twitch?

Many thanks.
SydneyCarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

A tremor is usually a constant movement not unlike a vibration wheras a twitch is like a sudden reflex movement that is not constant.
I have essential tremor which is neurological wheras twitches are more due to anxiety unless it is tourettes when the twitches are many and varied.

I live as i choose or i will not live at all- cranberries
sparky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi sparky10,

What are you taking for your essential tremor? Do you also have facial tremors and does it help you with this?
Old 12-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

i had the same problem lastnight.its the first time that ever happened to me.my mouth involuntarily shake though it doesnt last long but it kept on coming back.im not sure if it has something to do w/ my alprazolam and lexapro.been taking it for almost 7 months now due to panic disorder.infact i lower the dose of my alprazolam coz i wanted to quit from taking it.
penn is offline   Reply With Quote