X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 01-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thought blocks, go blank mid sentence when speaking!

Does anyone else have this problem? It happens mid sentence, it's like my mind goes blank. I find it impossible to fluently recount stories or tell jokes because of this. I am reading that is possibly a symptom of disorganized schizophrenia. Argh this is frustrating but I am going to try and work hard and perfecting my speech patterns.
cuem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
kev

Yeah, I guess it could be but does it happen only when you are anxious or all the time? Like if you are just thinking to yourself, does it happen? If you read stuff online, it's all a little vague. To be schizophrenic, you really have to have a lot of stuff all going on at once. Thought blocking is just one small part of it which sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. But as much as I have read about it, I couldn't actually pinpoint the difference between anxiety-induced blank mind and schizophrenia blank mind. Those checklist criteria are overly simplistic. I couldn't tell you. You'd have to ask a schizophrenic or a psychologist.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev
Yeah, I guess it could be but does it happen only when you are anxious or all the time?
Hey Kev,
Usually the higher the stress the higher the difficulty but even if I am completely relaxed I become immedietly unrelaxed when I try and recount a story and I just can't get it out fluently, I just go blank. It's like massive speed humps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev
To be schizophrenic, you really have to have a lot of stuff all going on at once. Thought blocking is just one small part of it which sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. But as much as I have read about it, I couldn't actually pinpoint the difference between anxiety-induced blank mind and schizophrenia blank mind.
Yeah that is true, I am even now hearing many people with ADD experience similar issues. Seems like something which is connected to a few disorders.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuem View Post
Does anyone else have this problem? It happens mid sentence, it's like my mind goes blank. I find it impossible to fluently recount stories or tell jokes because of this. I am reading that is possibly a symptom of disorganized schizophrenia. Argh this is frustrating but I am going to try and work hard and perfecting my speech patterns.

I can relate to all you said. Including working hard to "fix" it. Speaking more slowly helps me. As does just focusing on what I'm saying, like, no multitasking (watch T.V. at the same time, reading, etc.) As I said (oh, I didn't actually type it - here it is now then) I'm kind of A.D.D.

Oooh, I think writing more may help, too. Like, expanding the vocabulary and grammatical (I really hope that's a REAL word, lol) skillzzz.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

This happens to me a lot too. Much more so when feeling anxious. I was diagnosed with a mild schizophrania I guess you call it, years back.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
kev

Also... depression can cause a similar thing to happen. Depression can caused slowed thoughts. Sometimes for me they are so slow that it is almost as if there is nothing going on in there at all... but it's not entirely true, when my mood lifts I can think better and quicker.

But with schizophrenia, it is more erratic and abrupt I believe. I think it is almost always noticeable to the other person in conversation?
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuem View Post
It is one of the consequences of SA. Don't worry about schizophrenia.

Because of anxiety blood does not go to the brain and your mind goes blank.

Eddard - "That's the only time a man can be brave."
proximo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yea this happens to me all too often. I feel like such a retard when I'm trying to talk or learn something in school and then out of the blue, my mind goes totally blank.
Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Happens so often with unfamiliar people that I must sound so... simple.
Dreamer'sHideaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and similarities. It is great to know there are other going through the same thing.

Someone mentioned previously that they have the same problem as me and also have ADD. I have done alot of research and study the last few days and I'm 99% sure that is what I have. The symptoms match up completely. I am very inattentive, when I read I am only reading the words and not actually paying attention to what it's actually saying, when people talk to me I trail off, even if I try to listen I walk away realising that I wasn't listening at all.

I'll probably go to the doctor and get things sorted. I think other people here may have ADD and not know it. If you are really interested look up cluttered speech in wikipedia, it pretty much describes what I go through.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

This is probably my biggest issue at the moment, I can start a conversation fine and think of things to say then mid-sentence or within a story I'm telling I lose my train of thought. A lot of times I get distracted and then the anxiety build ups, I get caught or over stimulation of my senses watching everybody's faces as I speak...I don't know, a form of sensory overload or something, trying to process too much at once.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

This exact thing happened to me a few years ago and it for some reason devastated me! I was always really good at telling story's and jokes so much that I could keep everyone on there toes throughout the whole story! Then one day at school I was talking to about 4 or 5 people and I was telling them a story about someone and they were all attentively listening and all sudden boom! I completely forgot the whole story and this feeling like rushed over my body and I felt humiliated! I remember going home n crying! Thinking what the flip just happened to me! And for a while after that I feared that this could happen at any time so I was not so outspoken and vibrant anymore.... I began to rehearse sentences in my head before I spoke so that wouldn't happen and it began to slowly consume me! But after a few years it kind of went away and I was back to normal and I don't know how or why it just stopped, but every once in a while I would think of that happening mid sentence and I would just stop myself and refocus and repeat what I just said and move on with the conversation. But just two weeks ago it happened again! And that same feeling rushed over me and It wad so intense I faked a stomach pain in an attempt to bail on the conversation! So I began wondering why it was happening again and so I began to think of when it first happened and the most recent time to try and identity any similarities and I came to an answer! But it could be different for everyone. But I thought about just as it was happening I was telling the story and the thought of it happening shot into my head for a split second and it scared me so much that is caused me to lose my thought that instant! So I told myself no! I can't let this consume me again and then it happened 3 more times that week even with my girlfriend who I am completely comfortable being around so I straight up told her whats been happening and I even told the guys I work with what's been happening but explained it in a sort of laughing way so they would kind of relate to certain things. I jokingly said I think I'm getting Alzheimer's! And it worked because I immediately felt the weight and the pressure being lifted because if it were to happen I would immediately just laugh it off and say "see what I'm talking about!? Alzheimer's! So if I'm in a group setting I will just throw it in there and talk about how my memorys been kinda shifty lately and bring it to them and ask them if it's ever happened to them. So idk if this helps anyone or not but hopefully it did because I know how much that sucks and affects one life but stay strong and keep fighting! Force yourself to communicate and just let them know in a cool way what's going on and that pressure will be lifted!
CMP3388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have this, too! It's my main problem. I am not even a shy person. What is wrong? This started about 5 years or so. I was not like this at all in 20's. What has happened???? I get panicky when telling stories and or jokes to people (not my family or close friends really). I can't do job interviews, either, now. I had panic attacks in social situations years ago. Is that how it's manifesting itself through this? Is it a kind of OCD?

I'm not depressed, but I am a very, very anxious person. If I don't think about getting "tongue-tied", I don't (when distracted or really relaxed). But usually I get panic-like in mid-sentence and have to quit. But yet, I am not nervous at all in general conversation. Go figure? It's just when I know I have to tell a story or a joke (unless it's three sentence or less, I'm fine).
Iceman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Anyone else with this? Any suggestions?
Iceman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah.. The worst is when I'm presenting. Sucks. Teachers think that I never prepare for presentations.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

Unhappy Relating to mid-sentence memory loss

Hey...I'm new here. And very frustrated. I have this issue. I'm only 51, and granted have had my fair share of medical issues (emotionally and physically).

A couple of years ago, I had a psychiatrist put me on 8 different meds, anti depressants, anti psychotics (for PTSD), but it made me horribly sleepy, and even more depressed. However....My memory was better then than it is now. I will be having an intense conversation and boom. It just disappears right before I am about to make my point. First of all, being female (sorry ladies we do do this) when sharing a story I MUST give every detail from start to (well...however far I can get) because it will make you understand the situation better...haha...A couple of scenarios.... 1. Someone interjects and I forget right away. If with friends I have to say wait let me finish, but even by then its usually gone. Long after conversation has past, it will come to me. Another scenario, shoot...I forgot. Not kidding. I just forgot. And this sucks. I am currently on disability. On the most minimal amount of medication because I refuse to be a zombie. Clonidine (BP), Mobic (Arth), Lamotrigine (kept ONE for the PTSD/Dep), Nuvigil 1/2 (sleep apnea treatment) and a microscopic dose of suboxone for PAIN. Not approved in US, and it is normally RX'd for drug withdrawals. Not my use for it. Not addicted to anything. I can't imagine what this all could be. I used to be at the top of my class for spelling and carried it into adulthood up until a few months ago. Suddenly I am forgetting how to spell certain words, and appointments. If not in my calendar I'm screwed. Ok. That's my tale of woes. Any suggestions? PS: I exercise, take some very expensive and GREAT supplements that one could actually live on! So these are not the issue.
ingodnito12 is offline   Reply With Quote