X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 04-27-2010, 02:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thinking about getting a dog for the first time.

So seeing as humans have brought me nothing but misery, I'm thinking about getting myself a dog to keep me company.

I've always liked dogs, but have never been able to have one as i have nearly always lived with my parents and my mother hates dogs. But i recently moved out into my own place so I'm seriously considering getting one. Having never owned a dog before i know this is gonna be a huge change in my life but i feel could be a good one, mainly as another life to care for apart from my own, companionship, and a reason to go out everyday (talking it for walks)

As I live in a flat I'm gonna have to get a small dog, the breed im thinking about getting is a Miniature Bull Terrier, heres a pic for ppl who dont know what they look like;

So does anyone have any advice or anything here about SA and first time dog owning? I'm a little nervous about this!

Any other SA dog owners here?
nemesis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis1 View Post
So seeing as humans have brought me nothing but misery, I'm thinking about getting myself a dog to keep me company.

I've always liked dogs, but have never been able to have one as i have nearly always lived with my parents and my mother hates dogs. But i recently moved out into my own place so I'm seriously considering getting one. Having never owned a dog before i know this is gonna be a huge change in my life but i feel could be a good one, mainly as another life to care for apart from my own, companionship, and a reason to go out everyday (talking it for walks)

As I live in a flat I'm gonna have to get a small dog, the breed im thinking about getting is a Miniature Bull Terrier, heres a pic for ppl who dont know what they look like;

So does anyone have any advice or anything here about SA and first time dog owning? I'm a little nervous about this!

Any other SA dog owners here?
Dogs take work, especially in the training dept. But I'd say they're the most fun pet to have, especially if you get a kind of dog you like and will do well with.
I recall my 1st dog, he was like a member of the family: had SO much presence. When I was a kid, and scared to go out somewhere, he came with me and it felt like I was going out with another person. If I spoke to him he'd look at me and cock his head to one side; he was very attentive.

When you get one like that they're great companions, ESPECIALLY for someone with anxiety.

My recent dog, King, tho was a an @$$hole. Be very careful where you get a dog from. Everyone says 'ohhhh shelters! pet stores!' I say NO.
They will likely have SEVERE problems SO BAD you'll have to get rid of them eventually. I made that mistake with King, and he was a selfish dog who enjoyed toying with people and getting them upset.
He was VERY ill and I had to have him on IV and many meds, but he got better, tho it was like he was brain damaged and I guess that's why he acted so awful. In the end, I gave him to someone in Turner Valley who could care for his special needs better than I could. He left not even caring where he went. But I'm glad I took him; he'd be dead if not for me, so I saved his live at least, tho we were not a good match. Next time, I get the dog *I* want, a husky. Planning on getting one early this summer.

I recommend getting a dog from a good breeder.

Also, the desicion to spay/neuter....a lot of people have been fooled into believing they should always do this. ONLY do it if you want to make sure that they don't accidentally have puppies, tho responsibility should prevent this. (not letting your dog run around by itself) It's not as big an issue as cats.

When I used to get vet training in mid-late teens, I remember how they told us to make people suckers that way, because it alleviates THEIR problem, like shelters being overpopulated with puppies. They said let the owner have to deal with the fact that the dog gets aggressive, lazy and other weird behaviors. (Saw at least 9-12 dogs get like that) I think I would be too if I had my balls chopped off without any choice. That makes sense when society starts pushing ideas on public; you can tell they want something outta it.
Of course there's some times when doing such is needed.

If you get a new puppy, you can tell their personality by picking them up and looking at them. If the dog turns it's head away from you, it is submissive. Overly submissive dogs can be trouble, as they randomly pee on the floor if you so much as greet them, and at least I don't know how to train them not to be, as opposed to training dominant dogs to be more in the middle of the spectrum, which is the best place to be.

All in all, dogs are great pets. But be very careful when deciding on one, take your time and don't rush into it.
Skip_DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

YES, a dog or even a cat is a very good pet for a person with social anxiety. It takes the persons mind of of their suffering, and it provides that person with the much needed companionship. However, only get it if you are sure you can take care of it. Alot of SA people get dogs, because dogs don't judge you or label you they are just there for you. However, I just want to emphasize this again, only get a dog if you are sure you can take care of it, as dogs take a lot of work to maintain.
memoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
cmr

I have two golden retrievers and they're my best friends. I think it's a awesome idea to get a dog. Having dogs has helped me cope with SA in a way, because they provide unconditional love. They're always there when you need comfort or if you've had a bad day. Having dogs has also forced me to speak with people or be in social situations, like going to the park or to training classes.

They're also great 'cause they make me get out and exercise and be outside, which helps a lot.

Mini bull terriers are cute, and I've heard they're great dogs!

Open wide my door, my Lord, to whatever makes me love You more. - Aaron Weiss
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Having a dog was great for my anxiety, Patch always made sure I got out of the house once a day.

Definitely do a lot of research about the breeds, and get the breed the will fit with your lifestyle best. They are a commitment, but if you are willing to put in the hours, they are wonderful. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dogs are soooo wonderful to have when you have social anxiety (in my experience). I have a dog, and I started taking my dog to the dog park. There you can just practice talking to people who you most likely won't run in to again. And it is so easy to just talk about your dogs.

They can be quite expensive to care for is what I found! I got my dog from the animal shelter, and he had so many problems. For the 50 dollars I spent to get him from the animal shelter, I have spent thousands on him, and had more jobs to pay for his needs than you even want to know about.

But in the end it has been worth all the work and money. Honestly, I would do anything for my dog. I love him so much, and he just makes me more relaxed, and less stressed out in general. He is always there for me when I am having problems with people in my life. If I'm ever lonely and feel socially anxious, I always have him as a companion. SOOO worth it!!
sara01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

*HEADESK*

OK I had to pipe in on this one. I think that a dog is an amazingly great idea espesally for someone with SA, I don't know what I would have done without my critters over the years. You never have to worry about them judging you, you can act as stupid as you want around them and they will love every minute of it. they are always there to give you contact and love only asking for yours (and maybe a bit of food) in return.

I work in the veterinary field and I wanted to say that mix-breed or pure-breed shelter dogs CAN and most often ARE good pets! I say this as my mix breed terrier is curled behind my back and my purebred rescue dachshund is tucked under my feet. unlike a lot of people in my field I don't dislike breeders, I think responsible breeders are awesome people and have healthy well adjusted dogs. But so many backyard breeder play themselves off as responsible and ruin a lot of families happiness.

Either shelter or breeder the personality testing is the same. if you get from a shelter you save a life and if a cross breed they are ofter healthier (but not always!) but the genetics are a crap shoot. If from a breeder you get a better idea of what your getting, but you want to meet both parents ideally, the dam at least, you want record of their OFA results (x-rays taken of the hips), make sure that the patellas (knees) dont luxate. and that there is no genetic blood or heart related issues in the genetic line, this is what your paying the extra money for after all. On the Bull terrier itself remember that terriers by nature tend to be bombastic independent little turds *L* and you either love em for their stubbornness or you go crazy. great dogs but not the easiest for a first dog.

On the note of spaying or neutering, this is not rhetoric nor is it me trying to pass the buck off to you. For the dogs health, if you are not breeding it for quality offspring please spay or neuter! its better for the health of the animal in the long run. intact females will often get pyometras (a massive puss filled infection in the uterus), ovarian cancer, or mammary cancer. Intact males will ofter get enlarged prostates, prostate cancer, or testicular cancer. these risks are increased as the animal get older. And bluntly to anthropomorphize like people above an intact male dog is like a guy being stuck at 17 never able to 'releave himself' *snerk*
wynblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I hate my dog. She's fat and lazy. Then again, its probably my fault because I don't give her enough exercise :P. She is really annoying thought. Leave the kitchen door open for 30 seconds and she will sneak in and eat the trash. She's eaten dinners for 6, loaves of bread, chicken carcasses, fishing line (had to pull it out of her throat), plastic bags (had to pull it out the other end), soap/grease water, and other dogs' poo. I really wish I didn't get her. She barks when I don't give her attention, and demands too much responsibility relative to how little companionship/utility she offers.
wxolue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Having owned 4 dogs in my lifetime(with my parents being the primary caretakers) I can say dogs are definitely worth owning if you don't mind putting in the time and emotional investment. Not only are "most" dogs great companions, but when walking them they are great conversation starters to meet new people, and are pleasant overall to take care of if you pay attention to them.
BetaBoy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoical View Post
Had to post this. Okay, it's soppy, but I like it.

A store owner was tacking a sign above his door that read " Puppies For Sale". Signs like that have a way of attracting small children, and sure enough, a little boy appeared under the store owner's sign.
"How much are you going to sell the puppies for?" he asked.
The store owner replied, " Anywhere from $30 to $50."
The little boy reached in his pocket and pulled out some change. "I have $2.37," he said. "Can I please look at them?"
The store owner smiled and whistled and out of the kennel came Lady, who ran down the aisle of his store followed by five teeny, tiny balls of fur. One puppy was lagging considerably behind. Immediately the little boy singled out the lagging, limping puppy and said,
"What's wrong with that little dog?"
The store owner explained that the veterinarian had examined the little puppy and had discovered it didn't have a hip socket. It would always limp. It would always be lame. The little boy became excited.
"That is the little puppy that I want to buy."
The store owner said, "No, you don't want to buy that little dog. If you reallly want him, I'll give him to you."
The little boy got quite upset. He looked straight into the store owner's eyes, pointing his finger, and said, "I don't want you to give him to me. That little dog is worth every bit as much as all the other dogs and I'll pay full price. In fact, I'll give you $2.37 now, and 50 cents a month until I have him paid for."
The store owner countered, "You really don't want to buy this little dog. He is never going to be able to run and jump and play with you like the other puppies."
To this, the little boy reached down and rolled up his pant leg to reveal a badly twisted, crippled left leg supported by a big metal brace. He looked up at the store owner and softly replied, "Well, I don't run so well myself, and the little puppy will need someone who understands!"
what a nice story. Made me happy and a little bit sad.

All dogs have unique personalities, even though there are character traits that are particular to a specific breed.
Love them and they will love you back 10 times more, just one rule, make sure he/she knows you are the master.
He will love and respect you more, plus he'll feel more secure.

The miniature bull terrier are a wonderful breed of dog. You'll certainly get attention from other dog lovers (and their dogs) while on your walks.
SilentWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

The main advice I have is think hard before you act. Dogs don't live forever but they live long enough that the decision to get one is a serious one you shouldn't make hastily. Not only for your own good but also for the dog. They need and deserve a lot of love and care.

You should also consider whether or not you're strong enough to deal with it when your dog eventually dies. Believe me, it's painful. It's as hard as it is when a person dies. Maybe worse because the dog can't tell you what he's feeling or say goodbye. They don't understand what's happening to them and it is emotionally devastating to watch.

I had a dog before the one I have now that I got when I was about 11. She lived to be almost 20. She died on New Years Day in 2001. It still hurts. Bad.

I'm not trying to be negative. It's just more of a responsibility than many people realize.
PickleNose is offline   Reply With Quote