Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   Coping With Social Anxiety (http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/)
-   -   That knock on the door.. (http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f26/that-knock-on-the-door-166828/)

KLynn 02-19-2012 03:53 AM

That knock on the door..

Does anybody else get severe anxiety when they hear that knock on the door?

Even when somebody is expected to be behind the door, the noise still freaks me out. BUT when I don't know, and it catches me off guard, I am left breathless, trembling and terrified. I never answer it. I don't move, feeling like they would hear me. I look towards the windows thinking I'll see them looking in, trying to see if I'm home when I don't answer. I hide in extreme fear. When they leave I sit and think about it, how I'm such a weirdo that I can't answer the door. Wondering if whoever knocked thinks I'm crazy. Wondering if I think I'm crazy. Wondering if there is anybody else out there like me. After a while my fear turns to anger. Angry at the thought of somebody showing up unexpected...but really, angry at myself for getting so worked up. It scares me even to imagine a knock on the door, terrifies me.

therunaways 02-19-2012 12:57 PM

Oh god yes. I get so panicked whenever someone knocks on the door. I always get up real fast and hide in the hallway and I feel frozen..like I can't move. When they leave my hands shake and it feels like my heart is going to beat right out of my chest. We have a small window right by the front door and there is a curtain over it, but I always worry that if someone comes up to the door they can see me. You would think someone is trying to kill me because of how scared I get :|

Pul5ar 02-19-2012 01:06 PM

I get terrified too, but I feel as though I have no choice but to answer it, they'll think I'm a rude freak otherwise. I can't hide from them very easily in my parents house (sadface).

MiMiK 02-19-2012 01:45 PM

its sad how something as small as a door knock makes our anxiety act up... wen even i hear the door and know for sure its not my parents or my brother, i hide and wont answer it. :um

dkriot 02-19-2012 01:49 PM

If I am not expecting guests or a package I don't answer the door. There is no reason to.

17Racer 02-19-2012 01:56 PM

If someone knocks on my door, I go up silently and look through the peep hole. If I don't recognize the person on the other side, I don't answer. I'm not really fond of talking to strangers, and most of them just want to sell something, anyway.

Vance 02-19-2012 01:56 PM

Yeah this actually happened to me the other day...I wasnt expecting anyone or a package or anything so obviously my SA kicked in and I didnt answer. Then, the person goes around back and knocks on my back door! I was so freaked out...

dkriot 02-19-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vance (Post 1059677567)
Yeah this actually happened to me the other day...I wasnt expecting anyone or a package or anything so obviously my SA kicked in and I didnt answer. Then, the person goes around back and knocks on my back door! I was so freaked out...

That's creepy. Backdoor knocker? Maybe it was a burglar seeing if anyone was home.

Vance 02-19-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkriot (Post 1059677577)
That's creepy. Backdoor knocker? Maybe it was a burglar seeing if anyone was home.

That's what I thought originally but then I looked out the window and it was actually a decent looking young woman...probably trying to sell something. Of course now I regret not answering but I'm sure as most of us can understand, that unfortunately was not an option at the time :no

dkriot 02-19-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vance (Post 1059677588)
That's what I thought originally but then I looked out the window and it was actually a decent looking young woman...probably trying to sell something. Of course now I regret not answering but I'm sure as most of us can understand, that unfortunately was not an option at the time :no

So she went around to your back yard to knock on the other door? That's a creepy. I don't like opening my door for strangers. Even little kids who try to sell me stuff. Because they try to make you feel bad to buy their overprice junk that you don't even need.

itsjustin 02-19-2012 03:50 PM

I answered the door once and was stuck listening to a woman talk about keeping a power plant open and I was like :um the entire time.

bill54 02-19-2012 05:05 PM

Knock at the door or what about when the phone rings?

MissGemmaRogers 02-19-2012 05:49 PM

I freak out when someone knocks on the door. I always ignore it unless im expecting it.

peril 02-19-2012 05:49 PM

Knock on the door? Not really...but phone ringing, yes! I mean we live in an apartment so they usually call first (buzz?) so we can let them in.

This reminds me, my heart still skips a beat whenever the bread pops in the toaster even when I'm actually waiting for it. It's crazy!

Just Tony 02-19-2012 07:12 PM

Me=this video.

http://www.youtube.com/v/swQi4CAzmrA

KLynn 02-19-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vance (Post 1059677567)

that's happened to me before too...somebody knocking on the backdoor....and then I think they're gonna get in somehow..that'd be pretty crazy of them to do but hey, i guess thats the paranoid side of SA

KLynn 02-19-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill54 (Post 1059678115)
Knock at the door or what about when the phone rings?

I don't answer my phone either. Unless I'm not sober...I have to talk myself into it even when it's a family member or best friend, and even then I sometimes don't answer...

KLynn 02-19-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsjustin (Post 1059677898)
I answered the door once and was stuck listening to a woman talk about keeping a power plant open and I was like :um the entire time.

I know you're serious but your smiley made me smile a little :)

laine73 02-19-2012 09:11 PM

not so much anymore

If I do it's when we have unexpected company (in laws) showing up early on a weekend and I'm still in my pjs. I do recall as a child I used to run to my room when people came over, pjs or not.

slipknotized 02-19-2012 09:52 PM

Lol omg all too often. Just earlier someone was knocking on my door and I pretended to not be inside :/ now I can't stop feeling bad abt it >_<