X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 08-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Teachers/Educators with SA

Anyone here who is a teacher with social anxiety or going to become a teacher? What are your experiences with teaching? Have you made any progress as you progressed in your career? I have wanted to become a teacher for a long time - I hope it works out. I know Dr. Richards, the guy who made the SA CBT tapes, was a teacher himself - so there is hope.

So far I have student taught 1 class by myself and observed/partner taught 3 other classes. I also have experience as a tutor which I really like. Those were stressful enough but maybe if I get into the flow of things, it will be less stressful. I don't know. I am worried about being a bad teacher, honestly don't want to be just some teacher who lectures - I want to make a positive impact on my students' life and want them to learn a lot. When I am in a stressful position like this, I can't relax and I know being funny/entertaining is important to my teaching style - which I can't seem to do in front of a class yet as I would one-on-one.

As a carbon-based life form, you are entitled to an infinite amount of mistakes in life.

Got a question for me? Click
meepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wish I was smart enough to become a teacher but I am not meeps. My sister became a history teacher though. Perhaps you could watch some comedians to see how they act since being funny is core to their style as well. I don't really have much to offer tbh. Consider my post a bump.
Steiner of Thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm going to become a teacher. I still have two years of college left so it will be a while before I start student teaching but I've had some experience in the classroom. I've done some observations and also taught some lessons. It's hard because even though it's feels easier to talk in front of a class full of kids instead of people my own age, I still get nevrous and feel like I'm not opening up enough. But it's something I'm working on.

"Leap, and the net will appear." -Julie Cameron

"What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"It doesn't matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." -Confucius

"If only they’d look closer, they’d find out there’s so much more to me." –Aladdin

I am a question to the world, not an answer to be heard.

#SavingEliza
Greenleaf62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Taught my first high school class this semester. It was great! Anyone else teach high school?

As a carbon-based life form, you are entitled to an infinite amount of mistakes in life.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepie View Post
Taught my first high school class this semester. It was great! Anyone else teach high school?
I work with special needs kids in high school. Teaching is a great career but can be daunting for someone with SA. I find that when it is work-related, I can somehow step outside of my SA to get things done. It is helpful to know that your students count on you.
laysiaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have just finished teaching credentials and now I am searching for a job (high school history). My SA is not too severe, particularly in structured situations. I used to teach martial arts in my 20s. Standing in front of people and explaining something i understand fairly well is not too much of problem. Staff meetings are more difficult, so are job interviews. I also worry about colleagues attempting to befriend me, as if they observe me outside the structure of work they will realize I am a bit off.

In any case, i say go for it (including to the person who said they are not smart enough). I find that due to SA i automatically like the quiet and uncomfortable students more. Where other teachers find the awkward ones to be weird, they are normal to me. I am generally baffled by confidence. I do not understand why most teachers are so confident, and certainly don't expect teenagers to display this.
StillSearching42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm not actually a teacher but I work at an elementary school, and I've been in the position where I've worked with kindergarteners having to read to them, and pretty much playing the teacher role, it was actually pretty fun, and even though my voice kind of croaked when I was reading because I was nervous, the kids didn't care. I think it depends on what age group you plan on teaching, and how much more stressful it will end up being. Younger kids listen pretty well, but older ones seem to be in that "rebel" stage, at least some, and they will talk back to you and stuff.

Anyway, I think you'd do fine, good luck
No one can save you now
Unless you have friends among fish
There will still be no air to breathe
You could drink up the entire ocean
I'll still find someone to be everything we know that you'll never be"
jesse93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysiaj View Post
I work with special needs kids in high school. Teaching is a great career but can be daunting for someone with SA. I find that when it is work-related, I can somehow step outside of my SA to get things done. It is helpful to know that your students count on you.
That's great. I feel the same in the work situation, that I can have some magic motivation to be required of the social skills I need to teach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillSearching42 View Post
I have just finished teaching credentials and now I am searching for a job (high school history). My SA is not too severe, particularly in structured situations. I used to teach martial arts in my 20s. Standing in front of people and explaining something i understand fairly well is not too much of problem. Staff meetings are more difficult, so are job interviews. I also worry about colleagues attempting to befriend me, as if they observe me outside the structure of work they will realize I am a bit off.

In any case, i say go for it (including to the person who said they are not smart enough). I find that due to SA i automatically like the quiet and uncomfortable students more. Where other teachers find the awkward ones to be weird, they are normal to me. I am generally baffled by confidence. I do not understand why most teachers are so confident, and certainly don't expect teenagers to display this.
Yes, staff meetings and job interviews are my main concern along with parent teacher conferences. I'm glad to hear you are teaching though. Math teacher here, we are not required to be interesting as the history teachers.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

This post gave me some sort of hope for the future so thanks.

Feel free to PM me or add me on skype (Kayah2810).I'm always up for a chat.
SADtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SADtg View Post
This post gave me some sort of hope for the future so thanks.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse93 View Post
I'm not actually a teacher but I work at an elementary school, and I've been in the position where I've worked with kindergarteners having to read to them, and pretty much playing the teacher role, it was actually pretty fun, and even though my voice kind of croaked when I was reading because I was nervous, the kids didn't care. I think it depends on what age group you plan on teaching, and how much more stressful it will end up being. Younger kids listen pretty well, but older ones seem to be in that "rebel" stage, at least some, and they will talk back to you and stuff.

Anyway, I think you'd do fine, good luck
I'm glad you had fun doing it. My voice croaks too when I get nervous, hopefully they don't call me Ms. Frog.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

I mostly do adult education, but I find speaking to groups to be 1000x easier than when they want to speak to me after the session. That's the hard part.

~ Nick Cave
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote