X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Summoned for jury duty HELP!!

I got a letter in the mail today summoning me for stupid *** jury duty. PSH I can't do this! How can I get out of it? Can I say I'm a crazy SA mental headcase taking medication? Get a note from my doctor? Anybody been in this position before?
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

only thing to look forward too is that sweet 5 bucks you get a week later in the mail
Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I once got a jury duty summons and sent back a letter to them stating that I had recently moved out of the county. It worked. Never heard from them again.
scribe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm in the same situation, I have jury duty on Monday. I think you can use a mental illness like SA to get out of it, I am gonna try. It says on the letter that I have to get my physician to sign it.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, you can get a note from your doctor to get out of jury duty because of SA.
Fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

The first time I got jury duty I didn't go, and 5 months later I got another letter saying that I had to go to a hearing to explain why I didn't show up, but I ignored that too and I never heard from them. I don't think I will have that luck twice.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Im gona ****ing yell at them if they dont accept SA as an excuse, we can get a doctors note too. she really doesnt need this **** right now.

seriously, if anyone has any experience or knows anything about this, we could sure use your advice right now
Old 05-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you have a psychologist, speak with him/her and request a note dismissing you from duty. (And/or have them sign the form provided.) That's what I did and it worked. It'll help if you've been properly diagnosed already.

Now I have a physical condition that could easily dismiss me from duty, too! *sigh*
tehuti88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AJ_ View Post
Im gona ****ing yell at them if they dont accept SA as an excuse, we can get a doctors note too. she really doesnt need this **** right now.

seriously, if anyone has any experience or knows anything about this, we could sure use your advice right now
On the back of the letter, you should see a section called "request to be excused" check the box that says "I have a physical or mental disability or impairment". You will then have to see your psychiatrist or make an appointment with one, and have them sign letter. Don't worry if you miss the summons date before you see the psychiatrist, it shouldn't matter as long as you get the signature. I also believe you can have your psychiatrist call and have you excused. I hope this helps, good luck.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

*bump
Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

It depends on the specific rules of your country/state/county.

I had jury duty a couple of months ago. ALOT of people there were uncomfortable (wtf - does the whole world have social anxiety??!!).

About 50 of us got called into a court room for selection. The judge asked each of us "Is there any reason you cannot serve on a jury?" and a couple of people said "I have social anxiety".

His response? "I don't care. That's not a legal reason to excuse you from jury duty." One person persisted and he said "Look, if you're selected for the jury and don't appear, I will charge you with contempt of court." I imagine that alot of people who just don't feel like serving on a jury pull out the social anxiety get-out-of-jail-free card.

Don't get worked up about jury duty - it's not like all of those crap TV shows. Alot of the cases are boring things like back injuries from car accidents, and there's about four people in the court room - the judge, the defendant and plaintiff (and their lawyers), and the clerk. Oh yeah, and all of the other losers on the jury!
ToucanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

If they don't accept your S.A note here's what to do when you go.

Say you're racist against anyone who's not your race, Hate the law, Say you feel murders should be let free, and that you hate gays...Tell them they will affect your decision. Also Walk in smelling like a fresh pound of weed. Blow the smoke all directly in cloths & hair RIGHT before you walk in. (Just don't go in with any in your possession or you'll get arrested if searched)..... Rinse your mouth out a few times with whiskey & put some on a napkin in your Bra so it smells like you've been drinking.

Wearing a T-Shirt with profanity on the front works sometimes too....

They'll dismiss you asap no questions asked. Im %100 serious. I've read about how to get out and this works.

That's what i'll be doing if they ask me to go.
successful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by successful View Post

Say you're racist against anyone who's not your race, Hate the law, Say you feel murders should be let free, and that you hate gays...Tell them they will affect your decision...They'll dismiss you asap no questions asked. Im %100 serious. I've read about how to get out and this works.
nope, that's urban legend. If that's all it took to get out of jury duty, then everyone would get excused. The lawyers & judges ain't stoopid.

One guy in our trial tried to do what you suggested, and the judge said "Nice try. You're not off the hook." and then reminded him about contempt of court.
ToucanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Haha I actually got picked for jury duty too.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by successful View Post

Say you're racist against anyone who's not your race, Hate the law, Say you feel murders should be let free, and that you hate gays...Tell them they will affect your decision. Also Walk in smelling like a fresh pound of weed. Blow the smoke all directly in cloths & hair RIGHT before you walk in. (Just don't go in with any in your possession or you'll get arrested if searched)..... Rinse your mouth out a few times with whiskey & put some on a napkin in your Bra so it smells like you've been drinking.

Wearing a T-Shirt with profanity on the front works sometimes too....

They'll dismiss you asap no questions asked. Im %100 serious. I've read about how to get out and this works.

That's what i'll be doing if they ask me to go.
This is genius.
Charlie: Oh, right. You don't know 'Charlie Work'. Well, 'Charlie Work' is like basement stuff, cleaning urinals, blood stuff, your basic slimes, your sludges, anything dead or decaying, I'm on it, I'm dealing with it.
Therapist: And you dislike it?
Charlie: Oh, no. I love it. I love the dark. I love slippery things. I love being naked... in the sewer. Bleach smells good, it tastes good...
ManOfFewWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

you can easily get out of this because of your anxiety. just get a doctor's note and be super anxious when you talk to them.
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

I got a letter for jury duty once. I went to my psychiatrist and had to pay $20 for a letter stating that I couldn't serve on the jury. Best $20 I ever spent!

Check out this hot young rapper Mike FuQ. If you love old school hiphop. Your gonna love his new album F.U.Q Fresh, Understanding, Quality

http://soundcloud.com/mike-fuq/sets/...anding-quality

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=533892
PumpkinSeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

I got a summons back in September. I checked the box for medical reasons, I put in the explanation that I was in treatment for extreme SA and I could get a letter from my psychologist if needed. I never heard back from anyone, when it came time to see if my number was on the list of people who needed to come in, I called the automated number and my number was not on the list.
cartem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

the one time i went to jurty duty i was hella tired via not sleeping the night before due to anxiety and then fell asleep while people were talking about themselves -- i was dismissed because of this i think.
flarf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

If you're lucky they won't even call you in for an interview. I was summoned for jury duty a few weeks ago and all I did was sit in the waiting room for 8 hours. There was about 100 people in the waiting room and they only called about 5-10. The rest of us went home and we didn't have to come back.
Lucio is offline   Reply With Quote