X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 02-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Social Anxiety and Effexor XR

Hello,

I'm new to this board, but a long time SA sufferer. I hate calling or interacting with people who I don't know, and it causes me severe anxiety when I do. After six years of ineffective CBT, I am currently pursuing the medication route. I just started Effexor ER and I'm hoping to get some feedback from people on this board as to its effectiveness. My pdoc started me at a low dose of 37.5mg, and I moved up to 75mg two days ago. The first day on the 75mg dose, I felt very irritable. I just wanted to yell at people and my mood was abrasive. Today is day 2, and I feel normal again (save for the fact that I wake up a lot earlier on this medication).

Though I've clearly run into some of the drug's side effects, I have not had an absence of social anxiety yet. I'm wondering how long it will be until I start feeling results?

Many years ago, I used Paxil, and at high doses, it was very effective for SAD. I remember one day the light switch just flicked on and I wanted to call everyone in my phonebook. I'd never felt that way before. Paxil had so many side effects that I had to stop taking it. So here I am, trying to achieve the same outcome with effexor, but hopefully with a less potent side effect profile.

When can I expect to see results? Has anyone had any luck on this drug?
beachybumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachybumm View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this board, but a long time SA sufferer. I hate calling or interacting with people who I don't know, and it causes me severe anxiety when I do. After six years of ineffective CBT, I am currently pursuing the medication route. I just started Effexor ER and I'm hoping to get some feedback from people on this board as to its effectiveness. My pdoc started me at a low dose of 37.5mg, and I moved up to 75mg two days ago. The first day on the 75mg dose, I felt very irritable. I just wanted to yell at people and my mood was abrasive. Today is day 2, and I feel normal again (save for the fact that I wake up a lot earlier on this medication).

Though I've clearly run into some of the drug's side effects, I have not had an absence of social anxiety yet. I'm wondering how long it will be until I start feeling results?

Many years ago, I used Paxil, and at high doses, it was very effective for SAD. I remember one day the light switch just flicked on and I wanted to call everyone in my phonebook. I'd never felt that way before. Paxil had so many side effects that I had to stop taking it. So here I am, trying to achieve the same outcome with effexor, but hopefully with a less potent side effect profile.

When can I expect to see results? Has anyone had any luck on this drug?
I had a bad experience with Effexor. It didn't work for me at all, and the ween-off was scary. I followed the doctors instructions on weening off, but after weening off, I ending up with what I would describe as 'electrical shock sensations' in my head for 4-6 weeks. Anytime I would turn my head too fast, I would experience this 'shock' feeling in my head. Scared the crap out of me because I didn't know if it would ever go away. (Scared me even more later on when I saw the story on Primetime or Dateline about Paxil users experiencing this same problem when quitting Paxil).

Paxil and Zoloft didn't work for me either, just a lot of unwanted sides and a constant feeling of 'being out of it'.

I know drugs work for some, but definitely not for me.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

I second that. Effexor did absolutely nothing for me and the withdrawal was brutal.
PGVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oooooh, I'm an Effexor newbie too! It's made a big difference with my depression but I think I might need therapy for my SA.

I've read lots about Effexor withdrawal being awful, I guess I'll have to stay on it forever, lol!

Didn't experience any brain zaps with it like I did on Zoloft... brain zaps are the worst!!
Tweedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was put on Effexor for depression about 5 years ago. I had social (and general) anxiety at the time but I didn't know it, I just thought it was all part of the depression. I stayed on Effexor for a couple of years and it didn't seem to do anything for me, I actually got worse over this period.

A psychologist I was seeing at the time suggested that I might have low testosterone so I got tested. Lo and behold I was found to have low testosterone and was put on hormone treatments. The effect was miraculous. I was a different person overnight. I went off the Effexor and all was good for another couple of years until the testosterone stopped working for me.

I eventually found a very knowledgeable doctor who told me the following things. Effexor is an antidepressant and an anti-anxiety drug too. It achieves it's anti-anxiety effect by suppressing the adrenal gland which produces stress hormones. Unfortunately when males take it the suppression of the adrenal gland can cause low testosterone. And one of the effects of low testosterone is, you guessed it, anxiety.

Eventually I got off the testosterone and because the Effexor was long gone from my system I returned to normal. Back to square one, basically.

So yeah, if you're a male with anxiety I would recommend you stay the hell away from Effexor.

It also has horrible side effects, as some of the other posters have mentioned. I was totally sexually dysfunctional while I was on it. I basically couldn't have an orgasm.
AusRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had some minor side effects while taking it for a few months. But, even at a high dose, it didn't have very much impact on SA. Maybe a 1-2% improvement. Therapy was better, as was other exposure techniques.

For depression and anxiety it helped a little, but it's not going to fix the problems that you are depressed and worried about.
Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've been on effexor for about 5 months and I feel it has made a difference for me combined with therapy. I'm on 150mg atm, and feeling alot better about my chances in improving my life. I have my bad days like everyone does, but I am on my way to getting my first full time job, been going out alot more and just feel more connected to others than i did before i started effexor.

As for anxiety wise I don't care as much about others opinions anymore and don't feel so trapped when i'm out in social settings.
BetaBoy90 is offline   Reply With Quote