So what does really help against depression? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Asocial schizoid

So what does really help against depression?

I have middle depression and Im wondering if its possible to beat it without medication... any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Мертвый.

My Mood: In Love
For me, it was finally getting crap done. Came after landing my first job.

I think the biggest part of my depression was from being unproductive. After changing that everything else sorta fell into place, and I've grown comfortable in my own skin for the first time in half a decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon View Post
Make a hit list
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 10:59 PM
N/A

My Mood: Bored
Muisc

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:21 PM
SAS Member

It is possible you just have to be brave enough to just do it, but the anxiety feelings are so bad so its not easy.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 11:22 PM
SAS Member

Getting out of the house and catching some sun rays.

looks like blue must be your color.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:24 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRik7X View Post
I have middle depression and Im wondering if its possible to beat it without medication... any tips?
I will tell you this...
Focus on something that you are grateful for. You can't be depressed and grateful at the same time. Just can't.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:25 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Busy
From my experience, starting with a healthy diet helped out a lot. Try to eat a mostly raw organic diet, include more omega-3s, probiotic-rich foods (sauerkraut, miso), and reduce your sugar intake (including fruits). You can still have your favorite junk foods occasionally like only on weekends. If this seems too strict, I suggest giving it a try for just one week and see how you feel. I'm sure the energy and focus you'll feel will help you stick to the diet.

"Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Dog Person

I have just come off medication for depression and I am not having the easiest time right now. But I have to agree that getting out of the house helps. Staying inside all day is very depressing. Especially if you are on a computer all day. Extremely depressing. There's no way that staying stationary indoors all day long doesn't contribute to depression in some way. Despite the mind being stimulated, our bodies are not meant to sit still all day long. I feel like it's all I can do sometimes. But it makes me feel worse not getting outside all day.

Weekly Drawing (SAS Group)
Join us here
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Asocial schizoid

Thanks everyone for your answers

@Atheism I go to a gym daily for 1 hour, I would like to do more things but I dont know want to do outside alone as I dont have any friends.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Dog Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRik7X View Post
Thanks everyone for your answers

@Atheism I go to a gym daily for 1 hour, I would like to do more things but I dont know want to do outside alone as I dont have any friends.
I know, it's really hard. Other than school and work, the only time I go out is to spend money on something. Which doesn't make me feel good at all. I too don't know what to do with myself most of the time.

Weekly Drawing (SAS Group)
Join us here
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:02 PM
SAS Member

I overcame my depression once I put my well-being and happiness before anything else. To be honest, I brought depression on myself. In the past, I was so ashamed of being a virgin that it was a goal of mine that I was going to find a girlfriend once and for all and have sex. Well, even when I obsessively focused on that one goal, I failed miserably at it because I still couldn't approach girls because of my low self esteem. I ended up suicidal and on medication (Mirtazapine) for years and absolutely hated myself because of the shame I acquired by not being able to do such a simple thing that others could do even though I thought about it every single day.

The was a moment where I had to put my happiness first and accept that after years of trying to achieve this one goal, I failed and was probably not going to accomplish it anytime soon. The depression and pain was too much so I didn't have a choice anymore. So at that moment, I did whatever made me happy relative to where I was. If I was feeling depressed, I would immediately do some meditations, read a bunch of books. It was at that time where I felt incredible synchronicity with the universe because I seemed to be "guided" to do certain things. Next thing I know, my depression was going to get the best of me after doing all of this but I had learned Vipassana meditation prior, so once I felt the depression overpowering me, I suddenly just surrendered because I felt that after all these years there wasn't anything more I could do to overcome it. At the moment I surrendered and just accepted my depressing thoughts through Vipassana, that is when they evaporated and I finally felt like I overcame it. From that day I spent 6 days in my room doing Vipassana meditation to clear the rest of them while fasting on nothing but lemon water with honey.

That was an incredible time I will never forget.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:41 AM
SAS Member

Patience mostly.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 06:50 AM
SAS Member

Get something to do in life. A job, a career, a hobby, make friends, go places, etc. Staying in a quiet, dark house all day doing nothing but overthinking is the best way to be depressed.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 AM
SAS Member

I just recently hopped on a plane, a month ago, and now I'm traveling by myself in Eastern Europe (for the next year or so, just because I needed to switch things up in my life and experience change).

And... let's just say, looking back at the first month... it has had its ups... but it has also had plenty of downs.

I knew before I left that it was gonna be hard.

But knowing is one thing. It's a whole different ballgame when you're in the midst of being battered down by depression.

Thankfully, I've quickly learned to adjust to this new life on my own, in a foreign country.

What do I attribute that to?

Mainly, two things.

#1: Exercise

I've gotten religious about, first thing every day, exercising and getting my mental space "right".

I've gotten into yoga. I jog every other day for half an hour. And I do bodyweight exercises (pushups and pullups) to keep my body physically strong.

That, for me, has had the biggest impact. Always starting the day off pumping endorphins into my bloodstream.

Not only that, but it also gets me out of my apartment, which, in a way, gets me out of my head.

#2: Getting Your Most Important Work Done

After I exercise, the next thing I always do is focus on getting my "One Thing" done. (The One Thing, a book written by Gary Keller.)

What is "The One Thing"?

Essentially, it's figuring out what the most important thing in your life is, and then getting it done every day.

For me, my One Thing is writing. I have a blog. And I'm building a business. So I go to the coffee shop every day and get my writing done.

After I complete that—I always feel amazing.

For you, your One Thing could be anything.

For example, maybe you're trying to get a job. So... your One Thing would be putting in applications for jobs and setting up interviews.

Or maybe you're in school. Your One Thing, besides of course going to class, would be studying and doing your homework.

Whatever your One Thing is, it's all about getting it done before anything else in the day (besides exercise).

Without fail, every time I take action in my One Thing, it gives me a natural high because I've just taken steps to make **** happen in my life.

After exercising and doing my One Thing—the rest of my day becomes enjoyable and effortless because I've changed my physiology (through exercise) and my mental sense of wellbeing (because I've gotten done what matters).
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 AM
SAS Member

Attitude. If you focus on the negative all the time, you'll get depressed. But if you remind yourself that, no matter how bad things are, if you focus on the positive, you'll be a lot happier. Tell yourself, "Focusing on the negative does me no good, whatsoever. Spending a lot of time thinking about bad things that happened is going to make me miserable, so why do it?"

Don't forget to breathe.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:46 AM

My Mood: Inspired
depression is a choice. so no you will stay that way with your thinking.

There’s nothing a man cannot do once he accepts the fact there is no God

No matter how bad the dreams get when I wake up it's always worse.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:09 AM
N/A

Sometimes I just want someone to tell me it's OK. Even if it's not.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:25 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Another vote for healthy diet, sunshine, exercise and keeping yourself as productive as possible. I'll never shake off depression completely but these things do add up and will make a difference.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 10:42 PM
SAS Member

Yes, diet and exercise helps mine for sure. My major depression definitely goes up and down with my fitness. FYI - Not on any meds.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page