Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

So how many words do you speak a day?

8K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  Derekgnr 
#1 ·
Researchers recorded the daily conversations of 400 university students in the United States and Mexico over a period of several days. They found that females spoke about 16,215 words each day, and males uttered an average of 15,669 words, which was considered a statistical dead heat.
:fall

http://health.yahoo.com/news/177093

I don't know if I spoke more than a handful of words today and I probably average a few hundred if that. :fall

#3 ·
Im pretty sure that during some days of when I went to college, I didn't speak a word.

#5 ·
Qolselanu said:
Im pretty sure that during some days of when I went to college, I didn't speak a word.
I've come close. I actually thought some days I didn't speak so I started recalling each day and it turned out there was always something I said whether it be ordering food or something. Today I think I said less than 20 words for sure though.

#11 ·
I probably speak anywhere from 50-150 at the most. I don't talk a whole lot.

Now if we had to take Internet forums into consideration .. sometimes around 16,000+ because the Internet is the only thing to bring the real "me" out. :lol

#14 ·
Re: re: So how many words do you speak a day?

Sad_ape said:
I can't stand the sound of my own voice so I'll even whisper when I talk to my dog.
I'm not fond of talking to animals for the same reason.

Really depends on the day...some days I say no words. But on days when my mom calls, or I go to therapy, or I see my gf then it probably numbers at least in the hundreds.

Actually, now that I'm volunteering at a hospital 4 days a week i probably speak at least 1000 words during those days.

#17 ·
If I see one of my flattys around I usually say 'hey' - maybe once a day. I say 'hey' a few times at work in the weekends, plus a few 'yeah's. I say 'meow' to the cat maybe once a day. Now and then go to a shop/gym/counselor/something every 2 days on average, might have to say a bit then. If my friend is around - shes away for a couple of weeks now - I might see her 1-3 times a week and if we go for a walk or something I'll talk a lot. But if we watch a movie I'll hardly say anything. Maybe I could average 30 words a day?

#25 ·
Re: re: So how many words do you speak a day?

blank_mind said:
I'd be surprised if i spoke that many words in a whole year! On a bad day, i would estimate i speak sometimes less than 30 words, on an average day about 300-400, and on a good day (which is very rare!) maybe about 1000-2000...
You know if I lived here the whole year and never visited the fam, I would quite possibly be under that 16,000 total for the whole year. That figure is just amazing.

#26 ·
Yesterday it was 0, today it is under 50. That is until I talk to my Mom. Then it might reach 100.

On a normal day at work it might be 1000-2000+ though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.