X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 01-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default shy and quiet people are dangerous?

why are the quiet, shy people consider by many as dangerous?
i did not know the correlation of the two.
lonetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nobody ever talks about how gregarious Ted Bundy was.
solasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

People are dangerous in general.

That being said, if a person who wants to live one way percieves the majority trying to manipulate or force the environments to make hime live the opposite of the way that he wants to live; he will feel violent rage against the majority. (whether they act on it or not is something that can be argued either way)

Because our society is being run and is built by extroverted people, the way that society works will be biased in favor of extroverted/risk-taking people.

People who are more conservative in personality (not neccessarily the political kind) have their faces constantly rubbed in by the obnoxious and boisterous majority, and robbing them of their dignity repeatedly throughout their lives (possibly leading to depression).

It is not just shy people who have the capacity to be dangerous, but also non-shy people.
nihlanth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think people are just afraid what they don't understand and the unknown. If you show them who you are and what you're about the anxiety tends to subside. Otherwise, you might get the creepy label, if that bothers you.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonetype View Post
One reason is because every time you hear a news story about someone going on a murderous rampage, the suspect is described as the quiet/loner type. People get conditioned to believe "quiet = dangerous".

Just Lurking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lurking View Post
One reason is because every time you hear a news story about someone going on a murderous rampage, the suspect is described as the quiet/loner type. People get conditioned to believe "quiet = dangerous".
Most of the gangsters are outgoing types. Childhood abuses cause mostly later this kind of act. If the person is outgoing he chooses to make money out of this, if he is introvert he commits crime on his own.

But the temper of introverts is problematic, years of not saying the things you want to say can explode one day. So share your problems with someone at least someone in your family or write here in the threads.

Eddard - "That's the only time a man can be brave."
proximo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

those dang school shooters.... i guess some shy people bottle up there feelings untill they blow up.
Kwtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximo20 View Post
Most of the gangsters are outgoing types.
Well, I didn't mean danger in the general sense. Gangsters are obviously dangerous, but at least you can see them coming. You know what they're about. They don't hide it.

The Columbines and the Virigina Techs, though? You don't see them coming. They can happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone. School, your work, a mall, the street.. Those perpetrators don't give any indication that they're dangerous. That's the unknown factor which people fear.

Just Lurking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

cause outgoing people are all dumb a**es
Shauna The Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've heard the saying 'You have to be careful of the quiet ones.'

I guess we are dangerous because we sit all quiet and take in other people's actions and what they are saying and if troubles comes, they probably think quiet ones are taking it all in and keeping it in until they can tell a teacher/parent/police etc
Georgina 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

People don't like those who are different to themselves. Since most people never shut up, you can put 2 and 2 together.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

A pretty good book I read about school shootings is "Going Postal", you should be able to find it online. The author's thesis is that school shootings and office shootings are two sides of the same coin, and he draws an analogy between that and the violent slave rebellions in American history. The modern "going postal" style shootings really only started in the 1980's, possibly linked to Reaganomics and the breakdown of organized labor.
mountain5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

The way some people are so cruel and bully quiet/weird/loners relentlessly, I'm not surprised they snap and do things like that. I had a really bad time in school and sometimes I felt like having a violent outburst at people, but luckily I never did.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
kev

I think it's an automatic response people have. Sometimes people who are shy appear aloof and the natural response to someone who is aloof is to avoid them. Some people take it a step further by becoming afraid of them.

People may also assume because you are quiet you must also be repressing something terrible and violent. While that may be true once in a while, the majority of the time what quiet people are repressing is much more innocent. What you tend to see with serial killers is that people with say they seemed so normal, but I bet if you looked at the evidence you'd find just as many quiet people as extroverted who are violent, problably less actually
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

In 8th grade, my friends asked me if I was a serial killer because of how eerily quiet I was and she even did the screeching murderer noise and said the quiet ones are creepy.. -_-
ecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

People mentioned the postal thing to me before because I'm so quiet. I think it's just one of those stereotypes that we have to deal with.
shyvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonetype View Post
i did not know the correlation of the two.
Many of those who go "postal" or are found to be serial killers are described on the news by neighbors as "He was such a quiet man who kept to himself."

Well, duh! If they were raging nut jobs who were throwing rocks at every car that drove by all while talking to somebody who isn't there they likely would have been found out a whole lot sooner.

And if you're a serial killer -- who literally has skeletons in the closet -- I very much doubt you'll be inviting over the neighbors for dinner. After all, it's kind of hard to explain why you have body parts around the house.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solasum View Post
You know, nobody ever talks about how gregarious and outgoing Ted Bundy was.
Excellent point. He'd never have gotten women to go home with him if he wasn't charming and seemingly harmless.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

It's strange that so many people think this when people with antisocial personality disorder are known to be well spoken, good with people, and manipulative. It's the popular ones you got to watch out for

- Bertrand Russell
Great. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lurking View Post
Well, I didn't mean danger in the general sense. Gangsters are obviously dangerous, but at least you can see them coming. You know what they're about. They don't hide it.

The Columbines and the Virigina Techs, though? You don't see them coming. They can happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone. School, your work, a mall, the street.. Those perpetrators don't give any indication that they're dangerous. That's the unknown factor which people fear.
I dream of a world where everyone is shy. I am sure there would be less lie, less murder more safety on streets. For example like in finland or denmark. Scandinavians are not that extrovert except Swedens.

Most of the politicians and lobbysts are outgoing and nobody knows what they are planning or thinking really. I think they cause much more harm. Usually outgoing people tend to lie more easily or can act in social sitiuations.

I don't why you qouted that sentence I ment the same thing. Those people with rage inside them would probably make money out of it if they were outgoing. Or somebody would use them if they noticed that they can kill so easily.

I think the kid in virginia tech is just an intovert version of a gangster. He just did not have the opportunity to join to a gang and release his anger.

Eddard - "That's the only time a man can be brave."
proximo20 is offline   Reply With Quote