X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scared to go to doctor for help

I am 17 almost 18; had sa ever since I talked to another human other than my bro and parents. I want to go to the doctors but I'm scared, I already got embarrassed for even telling my m once that I wanted medication to help me " feel calm around other people ". I don't really know what I would say to a doctor.... " I think I have social anxiety" ?????? But the most fear I have is him not prescribing anything and telling me to fix it without medication and tell my mom what I told him and making me feel worse
ruinMYlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you clearly can benefit from meds it's no worries. Just explain what's going with you, maybe even write it out before you go. If you're experiencing symptoms while there he/she is gonna know anyway. I experienced symptoms the first time I went for SA/depression help but overall it was nothing to worry about. Honestly I'm more concerned about anxiety symptoms in the lobby. Doctors already have knowledge of these types of conditions whereas the public has little to none

My Music Links:
Twitter ~ Youtube ~ Facebook ~ SoundCloud
Canadian Brotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

I took ages to decide to see the doctor about meds, but i hate going there because the receptionist is so talkative and I get really bad anxiety in the waiting room. I don't like to talk to people.
My next step is trying to convince myself to go see a psychiatrist
Phibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruinMYlife View Post
and tell my mom what I told him and making me feel worse
Remember! - patient confidentiality, doctors will not divulge what you've told them to other people, not even your parents.
Phibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's the biggest problem with SA. Those most in need of treatment are too afraid to get SA treatment due to SA. It's a nasty disorder that stands in the way of its own treatment.
UltraShy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default You should go

I went to see my doctor about my SA for the first time on Tuesday. It took me 2 years. I was so worried that she wouldn't understand - that she would just tell me that I was a bit shy and that I should try to build up my confidence. It wasn't like that at all. She was so supportive and understood exactly what I was saying. I'm so glad that I went cos I'm finally getting some help. I really think you should go to see your doctor. It won't be half as bad as u think. xxx
scaredycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Is it better to see a doctor or a psychiatrist?
Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had the same problem. I went to the university medical clinic, which referred me to the counseling center, and I saw a therapist, who referred me to a psychiatrist for medications. It's a bit roundabout, but I finally got to where I needed to be. I just told them everything I felt and experienced...it seemed to flow out naturally.
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's natural for you to be scared, you have sa. If the Dr doesnt want to prescribe something he may suggest cbt (cognative behavioral therapy), with a psychologist of some sort. You can always stop cbt if it's not working for you. Your Dr may want you to take both meds and cbt, or he may not understand what you are telling him, like in my case 15 years ago. You have nothing to lose! Plus you can find another Dr if youre not happy, that's what I did, and the 2nd Dr understood me. Please don't waste ten years (like I did), before you ask for help. Keep us posted, good Luck!
tg
---
torontoguy is offline   Reply With Quote