X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Savior Complex, Hero Syndrome, and Related Disorders

Are You Suffering from a Savior Complex?

Savior Complex Anyone?

Chronic Hero Syndrome

Hero Syndrome Checklist

Martyrdom

How to Overcome Martyr Syndrome
Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

interesting stuff. I feel like I know a lot of "martyrs," and their behavior is usually pretty transparent and obnoxious, honestly. I used to have a bit of martyr syndrome myself, until I realized what a problem it was and worked to fix it. I like the wiki page about how to overcome martyr syndrome...some very helpful advice there.
BKrakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

I used to have savior complex. I helped everyone I could no matter the cost to myself. In fact the more it cost me the better I felt about helping them. This went on for years until a time came that I needed help. I was in really bad shape and thinking about suicide so I asked everyone I knew that I thought could help. None of them wanted to help. My first thought was that all this time I was right that people didn't like me and I should just kill myself. Then I thought that that is probably what they wanted and I shouldn't give them what they want after they turned their backs on me. I was so hurt and angry that I broke off all contact with everyone I knew, including the ones that I didn't even ask for help. Now I only help people when I feel they need it and I rarely ask for help and even sometimes refuse it when I need it and someone offers.
Steelfox is offline   Reply With Quote