X

Download the SAS Android App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

X

Download the SAS iPhone App

Or switch to mobile version of the forums

Help/FAQLog InJoin SAS
Go Back   Social Anxiety Forum > Recovery > Coping With Social Anxiety

Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Problems going out in public by myself

Does anyone else have problems going normal places by themselves? I'm talking just going out to town to the grocery store/restaurant/walmart whatever is very hard for me and most of the time I'll just stay home if I know I'm going alone. If I walk into a store alone I get very nervous and feel like everyone is looking at me and I go into a shell.

If I go out with a friend or a group of friends, I'm usually fine, especially if the person I'm with is rather outgoing and popular, then he can initiate conversation with others and I can join in. I try my best to avoid any social interaction when I'm alone, but I guess everyone is happier when they are with others.
warrior15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I generally feel more comfortable in crowded places when I'm with someone. I do not feel like everyone is watching me, and am generally okay with crowds, they can be tiring and annoying. Loud. Difficult to navigate. Too many people too close to me. But I don't panic. But the effect is there. If I go to the supermarket with someone, I'm better off even if they are at the other end of the store.

I remember going to the movie theater as a kid alone. I had a moderate reaction either way, going out to the bathroom in the lobby during the movie, I didn't like that there was just the person behind the snack counter---you were the only one to watch---and then in the rush to leave after the film, it was crowded and noisy.

I have trouble with first eye contact with people, like when they pop out of an aisle. I tend to flinch.
-- Basho (Hamill)

"People see me / I'm a challenge / to your balance" -- Wonder, Natalie Merchant
haikupoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think this is the biggest problem with people who have SA, the fear of doing things on your own. Probably because they feel something will go catastrophically wrong. I know this is my problem.
GiveMeMyWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeMyWings View Post
I think this is the biggest problem with people who have SA, the fear of doing things on your own. Probably because they feel something will go catastrophically wrong. I know this is my problem.
Yes, the more I think about it I realize how big a problem it is. This winter has been a problem for me. I have become pretty depressed at times because it has snowed just about every day since December and I haven't gotten out much at all. Most of my friends have there own lives now, either in serious relationships and a few have went away to college. I don't have a gf so I get pretty lonely.

I live with my parents and usually do things with them and they are good about listening to me but I usually go to work and just come home and don't do much of anything.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, definitely. If I am with my boyfriend I'm generally okay, quite confident.

If I'm by myself and go to the mall sometimes I start thinking people are looking at me and have to go to the bathroom to check I don't have food on my face or something.

Shopping in a small store by myself is awful, I always feel like I'm being watched as though I'm going to steal something. I fricking work in retail and don't think of every customer as a potential thief, but when it comes to myself I have these thoughts. Ugh!
Tweedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedy View Post
Yes, definitely. If I am with my boyfriend I'm generally okay, quite confident.

If I'm by myself and go to the mall sometimes I start thinking people are looking at me and have to go to the bathroom to check I don't have food on my face or something.

Shopping in a small store by myself is awful, I always feel like I'm being watched as though I'm going to steal something. I fricking work in retail and don't think of every customer as a potential thief, but when it comes to myself I have these thoughts. Ugh!
Yes, I am the same way. When I'm roaming around a store alone I feel like a thief, I usually just wander around aimlessly.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

I hate doing things by myself. For example, my sister and I went to return a book and I had to ask her to return it because I was scared I would mess something up.